Pereira's striking is just too limited.

He looked awful in the pocket tonight up until the KO. I think he added some size just for LHW and it's fucking with him a little bit.
Because of the takedown threat

Hes the definition of a glass cannon, looks vulnerable at all times, but can end you in an instant. He surprised me with the counter punching tbh, looks like he learned that from Izzy.

This is real life mma and not blood sport jean Claude vandamme. Alex ko’s people and now has 2 belts from two divisions . Ngannou is a one trick pony and it’s working for him

Jiri is a special one for admitting he was out. His honesty was a breath of fresh air.

On that same boat, I have to be honest and admit that I had Jiri finishing Pereira within two rounds. I thought my prediction was spot on until obviously Pereira knocked him out.

Having admitted that, I still think Pereira is a very limited striker who will have his hands full against not only the elite of the elite but against the likes of Anthony Smith or Johnny Walker. We saw in his last fight against Jan, that his striking threat diminishes significantly when he has to brawl in the phone booth. He was getting tagged in the face and it wasn't until Jan gassed out in the final minute of the second round that he was able to deliver a flurry of shots.

Pereira looking stiff tonight isn't out of character for him. He has to constantly reshuffle every time he throws. I don't know how Jamahal Hill would deal with the leg kicks but if he can take a few, I see him knocking Pereira out brutally in the first round. Let's not even mention the all-rounded sharp strikers like Rakic or Ankalaev. It's going to be a wrestling session and unlike Jan at salt lake city, they can do it all night.

I know people here like to hate Anthony Smith but he has a granite chin and quick enough hands to really tag Pereira in the phone booth. If it's prime Anthony Smith, he finishes Pereira anyway he wants and I mean that.
What a take about a 2 weight champion in Glory Kickboxing, UFC and glory Hall of famer

"Having admitted that, I still think Pereira is a very limited striker"

I'll be honest, I didnt read the wall of text after this because it would be like saying Messi is limited at football, Jordan is limited at basketball, Woods is limited at golf. You get the point...

It is basic but it works for him. Especially in LHW. Nobody really wrestles in this division. Maybe when Bellator folds and these older wrestling based guys come back; we might see the division change again. LHW is looking pretty bad though. Not much new blood and the guys who came in recently were kinda duds.

I agree. For someone who is a double champ in MMA because of his striking, it is increnidble just how many holes are there. He is getting tagged regularly, sometimes it looks like he doesn’t know what to do when people go forward and just punch him in the face, is very average in “the booth” etc. I would also say that he was losing most of of the fights I have watched him fight. But he finda weird ways to win, mostly because he has power. If his power was down like 30%, I would see him as solid top 20 guy. Leaves a lot to be desired, but he is strong and that is a part of the game….

Context matters and he is definitely not as dominant or good as one would think considering the accolades.

He just won by KO with a nice counter so I dont think so

And he was the Glory Champ

His striking is perfected to maximize his heavy left hook

Jiri was landing good shots up until he got sloppy, but thats what Jiri does. He a super sloppy striker

Luckily the LHW division is so weak right now for Alex

His bread and butter is kick boxing. Of course he’s not gonna have success fighting in a phone booth. A lot of fighters aren’t.

Anthony Smith, despite all his losses, has always had one of the most crisp boxing and a granite chin to go with it. He is an elite boxer for the division. He is significantly quicker than Pereira and what sets him apart is that he doesn't put himself in danger by being the aggressor.

As for Johnny Walker. He may very well get knocked out by Pereira. But I think Walker finds that chin first and he is one of the hardest hitters in the division.
{<jordan}

Back