Why do people think leg kicks are "less manly" than punching?

People just hating on kicks because they can't kick above a curb on the street. Kicks can do the most damage, so they're pretty fucking awesome.

fuck that. kicking is my natural 'go to' defense. a coworker once threw a burning match on my fucking shirt outside the office, & bam, he was on his knees whining while his hands covered his kidneys/lowerback on a very crowded 6th ave. same when a friend I hadn't seen in a while backhanded my nads. I left his ass on the floor too.

in streetfights it infuriates me when you see a someone facing an aggressor NEVER take advantage of the distance given to them. a simple kick or two & they could have saved themselves from the KTFO for choosing to only throw hands.

I think low leg kicks/calf kicks are pussy shit if that's the only strikes you're landing, like a girl kicking someone in the shins on the playground. Now if you're using leg kicks to set up other types of offense, like following up with punches and/or grappling instead of just spamming low kicks, then it's acceptable. Nothing more pathetic than kicking someone below the knees and running away.

I PARTIALLY agree that they are less damaging than a strike to the head of equal force. The problem is a lot of people equate a "significant strike" as equitable no matter how/where it lands. But no. Landing 10 solid, thudding leg kicks to the calf/thigh of your opponent is better than landing 10 light jabs to their face that landed but they didn't absorb the full impact of. A counter hook that catches an opponent off guard, he takes the full force and makes hims tumble is > a single thudding leg kick, but is it more valuable than 3? 5? 10?

When judging stand up I try to look at it through the prism of damage and who I'd rather least be. For instance, in Diaz v. Condit, I'd much rather have been Diaz than Condit in terms of damage both receiving and sending.

Striking is really, really hard to accurately judge objectively.

I think low leg kicks/calf kicks are pussy shit if that's the only strikes you're landing, like a girl kicking someone in the shins. Now if you're using leg kicks to set up other types of offense, like following up with punches and/or grappling instead of just spamming low kicks, then it's acceptable. Nothing more pathetic than kicking someone below the knees and running away.
I dunno man. Striking's a chess match. Nothing pisses me off more than getting kicked in the calf and dude running away before I can return fire. Eventually I'll overcommit trying to match fire with fire and get lit up if he's gameplanning well. I dunno. Not that black and white but if someone's giving you their calf may as well keep hitting the buffet line.

In point of fact, I love connecting with nuclear bombs.

I dunno man. Striking's a chess match. Nothing pisses me off more than getting kicked in the calf and dude running away before I can return fire. Eventually I'll overcommit trying to match fire with fire and get lit up if he's gameplanning well. I dunno. Not that black and white but if someone's giving you their calf may as well keep hitting the buffet line.

Yeah but why waste your energy kicking a calf if they're offering their head on a silver platter, like a tee-ball.

It's all in relation to sour grapes about losing,or the people watching the fight wanting to see rock em sock em
yeah but it happens all the time in Western areas. i know guys who grew up on the islands and they have no qualms with hitting guys with pipes, rocks, stomping dudes half to death etc., it's like nothing to them. they just care about winning. it's only in English speaking countries where i see people bitch about stuff.

Yeah but why waste your energy kicking a calf if they're offering their head on a silver platter, like a tee-ball.
I guess it depends. If you immobilize that lead leg that head gets tee'd up a lot easier.

If you're like Alex, too, dude doesn't even turn his hips over. It's not much more energy consuming than a jab or a feint, it's very impressive.

Punching people in the face is more fun to do/watch though.

Because they are idiots which is usually the case when someone whines about a thing not being manly enough.

Relatability

Most western fans have never been kicked in the legs by a martial artist

They equate a punch to the face as being relatable in terms of quantifying damage.

This can be credited to fact that Western Combat sports typically consist of Boxing, and Wrestling.

Muhammad Ali got lit up for Inoki for the very same reason. Brutal leg kicks that rendered Ali unable to walk normally for a while.

Tl, DR - You need to have been kicked in the leg once to understand

i don't even think it's boxing. i think it's a Western culture thing. that's why fights are called fisticuffs, people refer to fights as "fist fights" when in reality you can do whatever you want but there's some stupid unspoken rules about not hitting guys while they're down, no kicking, no grappling etc.,
What fucking year do you think it is? No one calls it "fisticuffs".

Wtf, you take your laundry down to the river and beat it with rocks, too?

My go-to combo is normally the eye poke, to groin strike, followed up with a head arm toss

I see people comment all the time that leg kicks aren't real fighting and that it's a pathetic strategy.

If anything, leg kicks are more painful than punches and surviving dozens of leg kicks is a bigger test of pain tolerance than surviving punches (which is mostly dependent on genetics).

People say that leg kicks don't require skill but that's only if the other fighter doesn't know how to deal with them. That's true for literally anything in combat sports. You don't need to be particularly skilled to knock someone out if your opponent has no skill either.

It takes skill for sure to set up good, fight-ending, leg kicks against a skilled opponent, and it takes real heart and toughness to survive them.

Who ever thinks that, is a bit tardy & probably hasn't watched MMA evolve. Williams & Coleman was a good example. Marco Ruas & Pedro Rizzo, too.

1700471289089.png

I see people comment all the time that leg kicks aren't real fighting and that it's a pathetic strategy.

If anything, leg kicks are more painful than punches and surviving dozens of leg kicks is a bigger test of pain tolerance than surviving punches (which is mostly dependent on genetics).

People say that leg kicks don't require skill but that's only if the other fighter doesn't know how to deal with them. That's true for literally anything in combat sports. You don't need to be particularly skilled to knock someone out if your opponent has no skill either.

It takes skill for sure to set up good, fight-ending, leg kicks against a skilled opponent, and it takes real heart and toughness to survive them.
You must be referencing the Condit vs Diaz fight, especially since you have Condit as your AV. He was throwing baby leg kicks against Diaz that did no damage but added up points. Diaz was the one complaining about "baby leg kicks".

When I was in grade school before we got into punching in fights, we would just kick the shit out of each other instead. Any kind of kicks. To the leg, back, stomach, wherever. One time I got in a scrap with Matt Turner. I lunged at him and he jackass kicked me straight in the tits, knocked me back like Rick James in Chappelle skit. I had to take the L. it was a damn fine kick.

They just never been kicked in the leg before. LOL I remember a few years back some guy was mouthing off at the bar that leg kicks can't hurt someone. He let me kick him and he tried to tank it. I remember him trying to wobble away. I wish I knew about calf kicks then.

Back