Watching Pride: Final Conflict 2005 makes me realize how far MMA has evolved

How much as the HW division evolved since 2005?

• A lot

• Somewhat

• A little

• The same

• It has regressed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sean_wongster_wongmastter

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Found my old pride fc dvd for final conflict 2005. Just did a rewatch and I can’t believe how much MMA has evolved.

I thought prime Wanderlei would be able to hang at least in the top 10 of middleweight today but after rewatching I think I had some nostalgic bias, he might not even be UFC top 20 in MW.

Although I never held Fedor vs Cro Cop as the great match many thought it was, I remember thinking it was good. Rewatching it just made me realize Cro Cop is basically a white belt with no takedown defense and telegraphs his high kicks. Fedor also throws really awkward Russian hooks that a decent 1-2 down the center would crush him but Cro Cop can’t throw a jab at all lol. I think both would have a lot of issues against the ufc top 15,

I know MMA has evolved but I didn’t know by this much, it’s worlds apart. Should have left this DVD alone.

image.jpg

EDIT: Adding a poll, since most of the discussion seems to be whether or not HW has evolved a lot, I'll make the poll about that.

Last edited:
Crocop, almost universally revered for his sprawl, has no TDD? I appreciate the moxy of your threads, they're obvious troll threads, but I can't even chuckle at that statement.
Sprawl against wrestler that telegraph shots and can’t strike at all? Sure. You see how Fedor easily took him down? Those weren’t even good shots.

Sprawl against wrestler that telegraph shots and can’t strike at all? Sure. You see how Fedor easily took him down? Those weren’t even good shots.
I'm going off memory, I haven't watched it in a while, but I'm about 99% sure Fedor waited for that TD attempt and stood with Crocop for quite a while prior. Supposing my memory isn't failing me here (I will admit, it is certainly possible), not surprised that when he tried for the TD that he got it, Crocop settling in for a standup battle. I wouldn't say that a situation like that is necessarily indicative of bad TDD.

If MMA is so much more "advanced" why do the shows suck now and the cards are littered with no name and no talent fighters but they were generally awesome back in the day?

MMA is in a down period and I don't think the talent is what it once was.

If MMA is so much more "advanced" why do the shows suck now and the cards are littered with no name and no talent fighters but they were generally awesome back in the day?

MMA is probably the closest it’s ever been to being a main stream sport, how exactly is MMA in a down period?

MMA is now on ESPN earning record viewership and UFC is growing like 20% year over year. The organization is killing it, read their financials from their last quarter.

Erm..you're confusing personal preference.

MMA is significantly more talented now than it was in 2005...how wouldnt it be? It's literally more practiced and more popular than before. It wasn't even sanctioned in many of the states in USA during PRIDE's era.

As for shows "sucking" that is a production and booking thing. MMA is more popular now than it was in 2005....by a lot (does that even need to be said?).

Pride being more entertaining than the UFC isn't really indicitive that MMA is more talented. That doesn't make that much sense.

I'm going off memory, I haven't watched it in a while, but I'm about 99% sure Fedor waited for that TD attempt and stood with Crocop for quite a while prior. Supposing my memory isn't failing me here (I will admit, it is certainly possible), not surprised that when he tried for the TD that he got it, Crocop settling in for a standup battle. I wouldn't say that a situation like that is necessarily indicative of bad TDD.

The first shot by Fedor was Mirko off balance but he basically got tripped out every time they clinched, and once down Mirko had no idea how to get off the ground.

The fight was basically Fedor exploding with Russian hooks into the clinch with Mirko not using good footwork to get away from those clinch spots then easily getting takedown via trips by hooking his leg.

You can’t get takedowns like that against modern mma fighters.

I just can’t see a game plan of throwing wild hooks with your hands down to try to get a clinch working nowadays.

MMA is probably the closest it’s ever been to being a main stream sport, how exactly is MMA in a down period?

MMA is now on ESPN earning record viewership and UFC is growing like 20% year over year. The organization is killing it, read their financials from their last quarter.

Being a "mainstream sport" is exactly wtf is ruining MMA.

Im not agreeing with the TS,but PRIDE put on cards every 2 months. Thats why the cards looked stacked. That is not sustainable now.

I see MMA should be a fringe sport with steroids, gangsters, fighters earning even less, and with 10% of its current fan base.
Then there would be less incentive for elite athletes to compete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lessconaga
Back