• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social The American Society of Magical Negroes. Leftist racism on full display.

they’re out there, we just don’t run to sherdog, tears stinging our eyes, to make a thread about them w/ rage bait thread titles & a whiny tantrum in the OP like gigantic pussies. this thread was basically dead on arrival because nobody gave a shit
This post is whiner than the OP. Chill out.

Sure, if they’re legitimately funny or clever. I think that’s the problem with this whole topic in general. I don’t get automatically offended or bothered by jokes involving anyone’s race, but it’s such a touchy issue that it’s hard to do it in a way that’s legitimately funny or clever.

I’m a big Dave Chappelle fan, but that recent special he had where he ranted about trans people for what felt like 45 minutes fell flat for me—not because I believe trans people are somehow immune from being made fun of, but because very few of the jokes actually made me laugh and felt humorous. A lot of it felt like it was coming from a place of spite, and that doesn’t really lend itself to humor.

I would guess that’s basically the real crime here with this movie—it just doesn’t seem funny. And in the same way that I wasn’t one of those liberals screaming for Chappelle to be cancelled, I wouldn’t scream for this to be cancelled either. It’s satire. It’s comedy. Laugh at it if you find it funny, skip it if you don’t.

It got cancelled because its racism wasn’t tongue-in-cheek. The racial elements weren’t satire, they reflected actual outdated, racist attitudes. In a sense it endorsed a racist viewpoint, it didn’t mock it.

Not necessarily—but I think there’s a variety of factors to consider.

The first factor is what I’ll call “political.” Plainly, conservatives habitually deny that any sort of inequalities or discrimination exists—except against themselves. And that shit gets really old. Conservatives should expect the same indifference from us that we get from them when we want to talk about issues of race and inequality.

A second factor is who the object of ridicule is and who is ridiculing. “Being singled out over one’s race,” as you put it, has been comedy fodder for ages: think of the black dudes speaking jive in Airplane!, or basically the entirety of Blazing Saddles. But these were made by white filmmakers, #1; and secondly, in the case of Blazing Saddles, we of course had Gene Wilder playing the not-racist white guy, so it didn’t seem like all white people were being painted with a broad brush.

I find that when black directors deal with race, it makes a lot of white people quite uncomfortable. I believe I saw a comment or two about Spike Lee earlier ITT.

And if I’m being blunt, I think another factor is that this movie hits too close to home for some people. When Chappelle does his white news anchor character or whatever, it feels like neutral and safe comedy for us to laugh at. A black director making a film with black characters that tackle white undomfortability?? A lot of white peoples simply can’t handle that idea. But I think what Mel Brooks said still is true:

"It's OK not to hurt the feelings of various tribes and groups. However, it's not good for comedy.

"Comedy has to walk a thin line, take risks. It's the lecherous little elf whispering in the king's ear, telling the truth about human behaviour."
—Mel Brooks
This film is absolutely not mocking the anti white racist viewpoint. If it was there wouldn't be a problem.

they’re out there, we just don’t run to sherdog, tears stinging our eyes, to make a thread about them w/ rage bait thread titles & a whiny tantrum in the OP like gigantic pussies. this thread was basically dead on arrival because nobody gave a shit
Holy shit! It makes the other one look like an Oscar nominee.

Sure, if they’re legitimately funny or clever. I think that’s the problem with this whole topic in general. I don’t get automatically offended or bothered by jokes involving anyone’s race, but it’s such a touchy issue that it’s hard to do it in a way that’s legitimately funny or clever.

I’m a big Dave Chappelle fan, but that recent special he had where he ranted about trans people for what felt like 45 minutes fell flat for me—not because I believe trans people are somehow immune from being made fun of, but because very few of the jokes actually made me laugh and felt humorous. A lot of it felt like it was coming from a place of spite, and that doesn’t really lend itself to humor.

I would guess that’s basically the real crime here with this movie—it just doesn’t seem funny. And in the same way that I wasn’t one of those liberals screaming for Chappelle to be cancelled, I wouldn’t scream for this to be cancelled either. It’s satire. It’s comedy. Laugh at it if you find it funny, skip it if you don’t.

It got cancelled because its racism wasn’t tongue-in-cheek. The racial elements weren’t satire, they reflected actual outdated, racist attitudes. In a sense it endorsed a racist viewpoint, it didn’t mock it.

Not necessarily—but I think there’s a variety of factors to consider.

The first factor is what I’ll call “political.” Plainly, conservatives habitually deny that any sort of inequalities or discrimination exists—except against themselves. And that shit gets really old. Conservatives should expect the same indifference from us that we get from them when we want to talk about issues of race and inequality.

A second factor is who the object of ridicule is and who is ridiculing. “Being singled out over one’s race,” as you put it, has been comedy fodder for ages: think of the black dudes speaking jive in Airplane!, or basically the entirety of Blazing Saddles. But these were made by white filmmakers, #1; and secondly, in the case of Blazing Saddles, we of course had Gene Wilder playing the not-racist white guy, so it didn’t seem like all white people were being painted with a broad brush.

I find that when black directors deal with race, it makes a lot of white people quite uncomfortable. I believe I saw a comment or two about Spike Lee earlier ITT.

And if I’m being blunt, I think another factor is that this movie hits too close to home for some people. When Chappelle does his white news anchor character or whatever, it feels like neutral and safe comedy for us to laugh at. A black director making a film with black characters that tackle white undomfortability?? A lot of white peoples simply can’t handle that idea. But I think what Mel Brooks said still is true:

"It's OK not to hurt the feelings of various tribes and groups. However, it's not good for comedy.

"Comedy has to walk a thin line, take risks. It's the lecherous little elf whispering in the king's ear, telling the truth about human behaviour."
—Mel Brooks

First, you're a good poster with well thought out views (even when I disagree with them). I just want to get that out of the way so this doesn't come across as some sort of attack or whatever.

My reply is ONLY about the Chapelle comments, and it's only because I've noticed a commonality regarding his recent specials in regards to the trans stuff.

I think (probably subconsciously) you (and others) are reticent to admit how funny it was. I've seen other posters here, critics, etc all give very similar critiques of his trans jokes and I truly think it's because you and the others have some sort of guilt about it and thus are looking for some avenue to not appear to even hint at wanting him censored, cancelled, etc but also find a way to not give credit to him for making that topic hilarious.

And I think you consciously and logically believe exactly what you said: Trans people are no more or less immune from being made fun of than the rest of us. Still, I think there's a part of you and others somewhere in there that overrides your sense of humor to a degree and says "Nah, leave the trans alone" because of it being a prevalent culture war topic that's generally split down the usual ideological lines.

I have zero doubt your reply will be "Nah, it's just not that funny because he just wants to be mean more than funny" or something similar. And that's fine, maybe every part of you TRULY feels that way. I obviously have no proof of my assertion, I can't see into your subconscious LOL. But I've just seen this same description multiple times and EVERY one was from not only someone on the left, but someone who's interested enough in politics/social issues to make their views known (be it on a forum or just in conversation). Too much a coincidence for me.

TLDR: Chappelle's trans jokes are every bit as funny as his other stuff.

damn…

Most of y’all grew up singing zip a Dee do da

Y’all didn’t know it was a trope?

I think that is what y’all are actually mad at.

Ah well… time for Uncle Remus, Dick Hollaran and Bagger Vance revenge

seems like much ado about nothing.

The film is a ham-fisted attempt to blend social commentary with a love story, which looks terrible.

As for the title, I take that as a play on an old trope, which Dave Chappelle made fun of back on the day - the magical negro. They are playing it up with a secret society similar to Harry Potter. Just satire.

As for the social commentary, all in all, it's pretty milquetoast compared to what has come before. It's not like he's going HAM like Spike Lee, John Singleton or John Ridley. More of a groan due to he condescension and pandering.

Seems weird to have a movie dedicated to merchandise disappearing from retail stores but I'm not going to freak out over it

Man it really breaks my heart and genuinely scares me that people are this profoundly uneducated and just dumb.

So you believe that ideologically the democratic party today is the same conservative, white supremacist party from 1886?

and Republicans today are the progressive or "left" party?

Even if you are completely historically ignorant, I mean completely. Did you miss 2009-2017. When we had the Kenyan communist in office?

Serious question-

Even if you are historically and politically ignorant

What party do you think the KKK and other white christian supremacist support, today?
Judging by the massive amount of anti-semitism from the left and the support for the Nazi's in Ukraine I would say they would likely be with the same party they've always been with. Nothing has changed, the black vote used to belong to Republicans because they were the ones who had their back. Over time in order to buy votes the democrats introduced social programs (Government handouts) targeting African Americans. Republicans were against these, not because it benefited black people (arguably these programs have been regressive for black people) but because it went against their ideology of limited government and lower taxation. The black vote shifted towards Democrats because of these handouts that were meant to keep them on the Dems plantation by making them dependent on the government and the Democrats. The fact that idiots believe there was just some magical shift in the parties and they just swapped ideologies over night pinning the guilt of slavery on Conservatives is asinine.

seems like much ado about nothing.

The film is a ham-fisted attempt to blend social commentary with a love story, which looks terrible.

As for the title, I take that as a play on an old trope, which Dave Chappelle made fun of back on the day - the magical negro. They are playing it up with a secret society similar to Harry Potter. Just satire.

As for the social commentary, all in all, it's pretty milquetoast compared to what has come before. It's not like he's going HAM like Spike Lee, John Singleton or John Ridley. More of a groan due to he condescension and pandering.

Yeah this ain’t hitting like that god awful Bamboozled movie

That was fucking awful

First, you're a good poster with well thought out views (even when I disagree with them). I just want to get that out of the way so this doesn't come across as some sort of attack or whatever.

My reply is ONLY about the Chapelle comments, and it's only because I've noticed a commonality regarding his recent specials in regards to the trans stuff.

I think (probably subconsciously) you (and others) are reticent to admit how funny it was. I've seen other posters here, critics, etc all give very similar critiques of his trans jokes and I truly think it's because you and the others have some sort of guilt about it and thus are looking for some avenue to not appear to even hint at wanting him censored, cancelled, etc but also find a way to not give credit to him for making that topic hilarious.

And I think you consciously and logically believe exactly what you said: Trans people are no more or less immune from being made fun of than the rest of us. Still, I think there's a part of you and others somewhere in there that overrides your sense of humor to a degree and says "Nah, leave the trans alone" because of it being a prevalent culture war topic that's generally split down the usual ideological lines.

I have zero doubt your reply will be "Nah, it's just not that funny because he just wants to be mean more than funny" or something similar. And that's fine, maybe every part of you TRULY feels that way. I obviously have no proof of my assertion, I can't see into your subconscious LOL. But I've just seen this same description multiple times and EVERY one was from not only someone on the left, but someone who's interested enough in politics/social issues to make their views known (be it on a forum or just in conversation). Too much a coincidence for me.

TLDR: Chappelle's trans jokes are every bit as funny as his other stuff.
I appreciate the initial kind words, and no worries, I don’t feel attacked. And I’m also not opposed to the idea that my pro-trans views in some way factor into what I find funny or not about it, I think that our beliefs color what we find funny to some degree.

But that special (this is the Closer I’m talking about) had a lot of gay jokes too, and I found those funny.

He told a story about beating up a “woman” in a bar who turned out to be man, and I thought that was funny.

I thought overall though, that he talked about the topic for too long; he didn’t seem blatantly transphobic to me as much as that he seemed to feel that their struggle for recognition and rights was much easier than African Americans’ struggle is and was, and he came off to me like he had some actual resentment about this idea. And that’s when it stops being funny to me. I thought the “don’t punch down at my people” line was petty and unnecessary, and when the comedian on stage seems to feel actual spite or resentment towards the group he’s making fun of, I find it hard to laugh along with that.

That said, I was never one of those loud liberals screaming to have him cancelled. I think it’s important that comedians continue to have freedom to make light of all kinds of things.

Another black pantheresque film, some unrealistic portrayal of black people that doesnt comport to reality

Judging by the massive amount of anti-semitism from the left and the support for the Nazi's in Ukraine I would say they would likely be with the same party they've always been with. Nothing has changed, the black vote used to belong to Republicans because they were the ones who had their back. Over time in order to buy votes the democrats introduced social programs (Government handouts) targeting African Americans. Republicans were against these, not because it benefited black people (arguably these programs have been regressive for black people) but because it went against their ideology of limited government and lower taxation. The black vote shifted towards Democrats because of these handouts that were meant to keep them on the Dems plantation by making them dependent on the government and the Democrats. The fact that idiots believe there was just some magical shift in the parties and they just swapped ideologies over night pinning the guilt of slavery on Conservatives is asinine.
thats the craziest made up bullshit Ive ever heard about US history

<WhatIsThis>

You must not pay attention much to have missed all of the lefties hating on Israel and the Jews recently. That shit was pure left wing. But please tell me more about how lefties can't ever be racist.
You think "da left" and the Jewish Americans, the UN and the majority of the world who are calling for a ceasefire or peace in that specific are of middle east, that has been tormented with violence for 70 years is "racism"

That how you interpret it? racism?

how? Please expound on this?

Back