Multiplatform Official Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty Discussion

Will the PL expansion prove a do-over for the title after widely maligned launch?

• Total voters

Can't think of a more redemptive game in the history of the industry.

Three years ago this time CP2077 launched with almost GTA-like hype and it crashed & burned.

I theorized it was a nightmare development cycle, and after numerous delays they were forced to release it or suffer major financial consequences that would have crippled the company they built.
They made promises early in development they were confident they could keep, but couldn't.

But to their credit, they never abandoned the game.They kept on working and working on it for 3 years, investing $120 million into continued development, and its now very similar to what they promised within the 2018 demo.

And, on top of that, they made one of the best expansions ever.

Enjoy this moment, CDPR, you've earned it.

After Witcher 3, they were the industry's gold standard.
After CP2077 launched, they seemed to be the worst fall from grace in the history of the industry.
3 years later, I'd say they've earned 90%-ish of that reputation back.

Was finally able to order a Ultimate Edition PS5 copy at retail price on Amazon. Wasn't available all week.

Three years ago this time CP2077 launched with almost GTA-like hype and it crashed & burned.

I theorized it was a nightmare development cycle, and after numerous delays they were forced to release it or suffer major financial consequences that would have crippled the company they built.
They made promises early in development they were confident they could keep, but couldn't.

But to their credit, they never abandoned the game.They kept on working and working on it for 3 years, investing $120 million into continued development, and its now very similar to what they promised within the 2018 demo.

And, on top of that, they made one of the best expansions ever.

Enjoy this moment, CDPR, you've earned it.

After Witcher 3, they were the industry's gold standard.
After CP2077 launched, they seemed to be the worst fall from grace in the history of the industry.
3 years later, I'd say they've earned 90%-ish of that reputation back.

Been replaying Witcher 3 lately for probably the 3rd or 4th time but man what a fucking game. Have my issues with it similarly to RDR2 but as a whole I think those two games are still the two most impressive I've ever played all these years later. The next gen update is amazing, looks like a brand new game.

Alright started new game with netrunner/gorilla arms build or "nerd tyson" and corpo origin story

Corpo is by far best origin story gameplay wise, most dialogue options imo

So I got this with some money I got from family for Xmas. Know nothing about cyberpunk 2077, didn't see any spoilers, only thing I knew was the backlash it got a launch for the state it was in.

In Act 2 now and having an absolute blast with it. Quick question though can I do Phantom Liberty at any time or is there a point in the story I should start it?

I pre-ordered it and didn't even bother playing it after hearing the terrible early impressions. Tried to get it refunded but it was rejected

I just started it for the first time the other day (Having bought Phantom Liberty) and I'm pretty blown away by it tbh, it's quite an experience

So I got this with some money I got from family for Xmas. Know nothing about cyberpunk 2077, didn't see any spoilers, only thing I knew was the backlash it got a launch for the state it was in.

In Act 2 now and having an absolute blast with it. Quick question though can I do Phantom Liberty at any time or is there a point in the story I should start it?

yea you can do it any time after it unlocks in my knowledge

(I always do it before finishing main quest)

You can kick off PL after seeing the mission Dog Eat Dog populate your quest log. Until then, keep playing base. Great expansion.

I pre-ordered it and didn't even bother playing it after hearing the terrible early impressions. Tried to get it refunded but it was rejected

I just started it for the first time the other day (Having bought Phantom Liberty) and I'm pretty blown away by it tbh, it's quite an experience

Happy to hear you're enjoying it, Zer.

I can guess it'd be pretty frustrating with paying full price for a disappointing game at launch. Between that purchase and Phantom Liberty its got to be around $100.

But its a very replayable experience with many possible builds.

If you guage a game's worth by total playtime divided by $1 a hour, you'll get your total investment back around halfway through your 2nd playthrough depending how much of a completionist you are.

Last edited:
My only issue with the game is I wish that the main story was longer. Witcher 3 took a lot longer to play through, this one if you skip all the side content you can breeze through the story pretty quickly.

True, but the side quests are where CDPR really shine. They're light years ahead of other developers in this regard.

My only issue with the game is I wish that the main story was longer. Witcher 3 took a lot longer to play through, this one if you skip all the side content you can breeze through the story pretty quickly.

I wouldn't mind the main story being longer if it was relevant and fun. To me W3 was just horrible for the first 20 hours or so I played. Pretty much nothing was happening with the main story it was just you looking for person after person. The Witcher 2 story had major events happening during all the main quest lines keeping you engaged and wanting to see what happens next.

I wouldn't mind the main story being longer if it was relevant and fun. To me W3 was just horrible for the first 20 hours or so I played. Pretty much nothing was happening with the main story it was just you looking for person after person. The Witcher 2 story had major events happening during all the main quest lines keeping you engaged and wanting to see what happens next.

I hope you're not referring to the Bloody Baron, that was my favorite quest line of the entire game. I felt it slowed down a bit in Novigrad.

I hope you're not referring to the Bloody Baron, that was my favorite quest line of the entire game. I felt it slowed down a bit in Novigrad.

Yes I couldn't stand the Blood Baron. Listening to him keep telling me "Just do me one more favor and I'll tell you a bit more..." I wanted the game to turn into GTA so I could just kill him and move on.

I know I'm in the minority here though. The thing is Witcher 2 ended with a cliff hanger of Siri being chased. I wanted to see what happened with that story. I didn't want to get stuck in what is essentially a side quest being passed off as a main story quest.

Yes I couldn't stand the Blood Baron. Listening to him keep telling me "Just do me one more favor and I'll tell you a bit more..." I wanted the game to turn into GTA so I could just kill him and move on.

I know I'm in the minority here though. The thing is Witcher 2 ended with a cliff hanger of Siri being chased. I wanted to see what happened with that story. I didn't want to get stuck in what is essentially a side quest being passed off as a main story quest.

I dont remember anything referencing Ciri in the second game, it ends with the Nilfgaardian invasion which is what kicks off Witcher 3.

Agreed, super annoying questline and I didn't bother going any further after. I feel honoured to agree on a method115 wacky take <45>

I dont remember anything referencing Ciri in the second game, it ends with the Nilfgaardian invasion which is what kicks off Witcher 3.

I 2nd this. I've played through Witcher 2 once and seen several hours of YouTube videos of what I missed. No mention or appearance of Ciri.

And the beginning of Witcher 3 is 6 months after the ending of Witcher 2.

I double-checked it.

I 2nd this. I've played through Witcher 2 once and seen several hours of YouTube videos of what I missed. No mention or appearance of Ciri.

And the beginning of Witcher 3 is 6 months after the ending of Witcher 2.

I double-checked it.

I must have been confusing it with the TV show or something. I just remember Nilfgaardians charging on horses (I thought chasing Ciri but guess not) and I was more interested in seeing that story line vs chasing down person after person and doing side quest.

Also while finding Ciri may be Geralt's personal quest, the Nilfgaardian invasion is the real overarching story of the world that carries directly over from the second game. All that stuff of traversing through the war torn North and helping various people as you try to accomplish your goals is important to the overarching story, not to mention fantastic world building.

I must have been confusing it with the TV show or something. I just remember Nilfgaardians charging on horses (I thought chasing Ciri but guess not) and I was more interested in seeing that story line vs chasing down person after person and doing side quest.

That was the Nilfgaardians invading the North, the region you start off in. That's why you see random Nilfgaardian encampments, a war torn region, and why the Baron is in charge.

Back