Comedians that you just don't get why people think they are funny

John Mulaney.

The guy's acts seem to consist of him telling the whole world how pathetic he is and.. somehow it makes people laugh.

There's self-deprecating humor and then there's bombarding me with second-hand embarrassment.

I haven't watched new stand up comedies for many years
Favorite comedian: Carlin
Others: Dylan Moran, Chris Rock, Bill Hicks, Louie CK, Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervais, Chapelle (they also had stuff that were boring to me)

I remember trying others:
Richard Pryor - I watched it because some polls said he was #1 and Carlin #2. I didn't find him funny, except one small bit, but I don't remember which one.
Bernie Mac - this guy was somewhat popular for some of the people in my country, for reasons that I don't want to disclose, because it would be offensive. I remember he had a funny bit, but I was a teenager. Years later, I tried to watch him again and it was not funny.
Dennis Miller - had some interesting rants but that's it, not very funny
Jerry Seinfeld - I just don't find him funny on a scene, although I liked Seinfeld a lot
Tim Minchin - some funny songs
Lewis Black - some funny bits

I remember trying some of the Rogan's friends and I turned it off after 2-3 minutes.
But this is probably my fault, because I suffer from this and I cannot watch stand up comedy anymore.

I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed Dane Cooks meteoric rise

Idk what it was but the whole bit about Windextor killed me as a teen

I know this is sacrilegious to say but David Chappelle is not that funny, he's very smart no doubt. But I never find his jokes that funny.

Richard Pryor is the GOAT.

I LOVE Bernie Mac,but can see how he might've been Love/Hate with some people

I know this is sacrilegious to say but David Chappelle is not that funny, he's very smart no doubt. But I never find his jokes that funny.
I think his standup is quite good,but his sketch comedy is better.

I think its a matter of consistency

Every comedian complained about here has been funny, and had at least 1 universally funny bit in their day.

Rogan's bit on Hugh Hefner was funny to me, and true.

Carlos Mencia has been funny before, and I'll admit there's a reason Dane cook was big in 06 or 07.

But with all these guys, I wouldn't call them great or anything. Because the body of work is lousy, and somebody like Bert or Segura were obviously elevated too high by people they knew. Which will always lead to disappointment

We should do a count of mentions ITT.

Then flip the chart.

Funniest Comedian by lack of disdain.

Vince Champ's gimmick wasn't funny at all.

I'm not going to list obvious hacks like Schaub and Bert Kreischer who nobody finds funny or really respects.

Louie. Sorry never made me laugh once, not uninteresting but just doesn't do it for me. His show is boring too.

Carlin. I think he's quick and insightful and I do enjoy watching him, but I don't think he's ever made me laugh either.

George Lopez. He's like the prototype for shitty racial specific humor.

Demetri Martin and Andy Milonakis. Never got either. 1st is just awkward and boring, 2nd just awful.

Every Jon Stewart political hack clone from the Daily Show.

Letterman. Not that I've never found him funny but he's tremendously overrated and he phoned it in for like 10-15 years at the end of his run. Undeniably better than anyone that replaced him though.

Richard Pryor - Not just a legend but probably most people's pick for GOAT comedian. Any time I've tried to watch his material though I just doesn't find anything funny. And I mean literally nothing, I don't think I've laughed at a Richard Pryor joke once. I guess maybe he was the first guy to popularize the modern style of comedy of talking about controversial subjects, like sex, and drugs. He was maybe the first guy to start doing the overly used trope of making jokes about how black and white people are different which is still being used by comics today. Some times these jokes are funny because they are actually true though, whereas a lot of Pryor's jokes didn't even make sense or were just complete made up bs.

Theo Von - Not witty or sharp. His whole gimmick is acting dumb and his fans just eat it up and then say others are the dumb ones for not getting his corny jokes and seeing the genius in what he's doing.

Bernie Mac - Nothing this dude said was funny. He just had a lot of charisma and knew how to play the crowd but his actual jokes? I went and watched his popular "I ain't scared of you" bit he did on def jam after so many people were saying how good it was and I didn't laugh once.

Rickey Smiley - Another comedian I don't get, but I can toss that up to him playing to a certain demographic. I guess if you are not black, especially a black person from the south then you aren't really supposed to get him in the first place.

And of course mostly all of Rogan's comedy friends suck, Ari, Bert, Segura etc as we all know, and I would say the same applies to most of the regulars you see on Kill Tony except David Lucas. Hans Kim is the opposite of Bernie Mac, zero charism or stage presence. Seems like he's autistic but his jokes don't make up for his awkward boring personality. William Montgomery just acts like an annoying crazy white dude who just babbles off about random shit, nothing genius about him. Kam Patterson just plays into a stereotype of a simple ghetto black dude from the south. I knew from the get go he sucked and wasn't gonna be hot for long. People were all on his shit at first then started getting tired of him and are all surprised for some reason. Like you really expected this dumbass dude to come up with new shit and not just milk the same kind of weak low iq jokes for as long as he can?
what comedians DO you like?

Tom Segura and Bert Kreischer

Comedy has always had a short shelf life. It gets old quick.

I'm a huge Ricky Gervais fan but his newest special is only meh.

I can't think of anyone less funny than Lisa Lamponelli. Looks like she crashed and burned pretty hard, though. She was once heralded as the "Don Rickles" of female comedy, which is clearly a very easy title to get, as it just involves going on stage and insulting everyone with zero wit or charm.

Any comedian that just make up.stuff as they go are not funny i just do not see anythimg funny with chappele and his lips sprinkled with coke. What is funny is inpractical jokers that is funny.

That Gillis guy is insufferable. Also Tim Dillon.

Chappele isn't unfunny but the idea he stands up to the meme comedy of the internet is kind of silly. In the past I understood the argument he was the GOAT today he feels like a time capsule.

Generally a few years ago comedy was taken over by people who were getting into comedy to make fun of marginalized people without being cancelled as opposed to making people smile. And thats really sad.

I would add Seinfeld but feel everyone knows he isn't funny. Even stans for the show seem to acknowledge he is a terrible stand up comedian.
So you prefer meme comedy on the internet and comedy that isn't too mean spirited or offensive? So basically the average post you see on reddit?

Bill Burr is not that funny. There I said it.

He's likable and relatable, and him going off on that Philly crowd was cool....but he ain't that funny. He would be a better actor than standup, imo, since I think it's his charisma that's really getting him gigs, not his jokes.
He is funny but some people overrate him. His whole shtick of being a angry intimidating guy that talks shit and has epic rants was done better by other people in the past. Patrice Oneal and Diapolo were way funnier at basically doing the same stuff but Patrice is dead and Nick has fallen off in his later years

Back