Comedians that you just don't get why people think they are funny

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Richard Pryor - Not just a legend but probably most people's pick for GOAT comedian. Any time I've tried to watch his material though I just doesn't find anything funny. And I mean literally nothing, I don't think I've laughed at a Richard Pryor joke once. I guess maybe he was the first guy to popularize the modern style of comedy of talking about controversial subjects, like sex, and drugs. He was maybe the first guy to start doing the overly used trope of making jokes about how black and white people are different which is still being used by comics today. Some times these jokes are funny because they are actually true though, whereas a lot of Pryor's jokes didn't even make sense or were just complete made up bs.

Theo Von - Not witty or sharp. His whole gimmick is acting dumb and his fans just eat it up and then say others are the dumb ones for not getting his corny jokes and seeing the genius in what he's doing.

Bernie Mac - Nothing this dude said was funny. He just had a lot of charisma and knew how to play the crowd but his actual jokes? I went and watched his popular "I ain't scared of you" bit he did on def jam after so many people were saying how good it was and I didn't laugh once.

Rickey Smiley - Another comedian I don't get, but I can toss that up to him playing to a certain demographic. I guess if you are not black, especially a black person from the south then you aren't really supposed to get him in the first place.

And of course mostly all of Rogan's comedy friends suck, Ari, Bert, Segura etc as we all know, and I would say the same applies to most of the regulars you see on Kill Tony except David Lucas. Hans Kim is the opposite of Bernie Mac, zero charism or stage presence. Seems like he's autistic but his jokes don't make up for his awkward boring personality. William Montgomery just acts like an annoying crazy white dude who just babbles off about random shit, nothing genius about him. Kam Patterson just plays into a stereotype of a simple ghetto black dude from the south. I knew from the get go he sucked and wasn't gonna be hot for long. People were all on his shit at first then started getting tired of him and are all surprised for some reason. Like you really expected this dumbass dude to come up with new shit and not just milk the same kind of weak low iq jokes for as long as he can?

Last edited:
2786.jpg

<{vega}>

Richard Pryor - Not just a legend but probably most people's pick for GOAT comedian. Any time I've tried to watch his material though it just doesn't find anything funny. And I mean literally nothing, I don't think I've laughed at a Richard Pryor joke once. I guess maybe he was the first guy to popularize the modern style of comedy of talking about controversial subjects, like sex, and drugs. He was maybe the first guy to start doing the overly used trope of making jokes about how black and white people are different which is still being used by comics today. Some times these jokes are funny because they are actually true though, whereas a lot of Pryor's jokes didn't even make sense or were just complete made up bs.

Theo Von - Not witty or sharp. His whole gimmick is acting dumb and his fans just eat it up and then say others are the dumb ones for not getting his corny jokes and seeing the genius in what he's doing.

Bernie Mac - Nothing this dude said was funny. He just had a lot of charisma and knew how to play the crowd but his actual jokes? I went and watched his popular "I ain't scared of you" bit he did on def jam after so many people were saying how good it was and I didn't laugh once.

Rickey Smiley - Another comedian I don't get, but I can toss that up to him playing to a certain demographic. I guess if you are not black, especially a black person from the south then you aren't really supposed to get him in the first place.

And of course mostly all of Rogan's comedy friends suck, Ari, Bert, Segura etc as we all know, and I would say the same applies to most of the regulars you see on Kill Tony except David Lucas. Hans Kim is the opposite of Bernie Mac, zero charism or stage presence. Seems like he's autistic but his jokes don't make up for his awkward boring personality. William Montgomery just acts like an annoying crazy white dude who just babbles off about random shit, nothing genius about him. Kam Patterson just plays into a stereotype of a simple ghetto black dude from the south. I knew from the get go he sucked and wasn't gonna be hot for long. People were all on his shit at first then started getting tired of him and are all surprised for some reason. Like you really expected this dumbass dude to come up with new shit and not just milk the same kind of weak low iq jokes for as long as he can?
Agreed, 100%.
None of those are witty.

They be funny, like a clown is funny or someone falls over a banana peel funny, but their humour is low, very basic toilet/fart level jokes for the below average intelligence individuals.

Honestly I think most stand up is pretty bad. Only recent stuff I have been digging is the work of Shane Gillis and Joe List. Burr is also great of course. Not really into Chappelle, Bargatze is a complete hack, Mulaney is stand up for teen girls, Theo Von is funny once in a blue moon, Rogan and most of his circle are awful, etc.

Yea that's a given. Maybe I didn't list him because I don't really see anybody ever try to claim he's funny in the first place but he does sell out big events so apparently someone thinks he's funny
I haven't checked to see that he got big on TV / martial arts commentating / podcasting, and then people started coming to his comedy shows, but I would assume that to be the case. If all he did was comedy he would probably have 1% the footprint.

Last edited:
There are many IMO:

Dane Cook
Ari Shaffir
Bert Kreischer
Sebastian Maniscalo
John Mulaney
Theo Von
Neal Brennan

Rogan, I like his podcast but I've never laughed at his standup. I saw him around a decade ago and the opener was funnier (Sam Tripoli). Most of the guys around Rogan I don't find funny.

Come to think of it I mostly just find black & hispanic comedians funny.

I haven't checked to see that he got big on TV / martial arts commentating / podcasting, and then people started coming to his comedy shows, but I would assume that to be the case. If all he did was comedy he would probably have 1% the footprint.
And I would say early on in his career some of his success was due to him being a pretty good looking guy and fit. Otherwise he wouldn't have gotten those acting gigs because his comedy was never much to write home about

Doesn't matter where you are born, if you have higher than average intelligence than your neighbors, your wealth will grow

Bert Kreischer has not ever been funny.

He is a 2023 court jester.

No Bert was funny. Success has kind of ruined him. He tells jokes about his family and is kinda wholesome in an odd way

His most recent special was terrible

Tom is Joe's least funny friend

Bill Maher. But I think that's mostly because his smug persona turns me off.

Dennis Miller. For a while I thought I just didn't get his humor. Eventually decided he's really just that unfunny.
Emperor's new clothes phenomenon.

Snooty pretentious douchebags pretend their garage political "comedy" is funny because they think it makes them seem smart.

You could throw Trevor Noah in that same pile of shit.

Back