HOT TAKE: Mayra Bueno Silva is more exciting fighter than Sean Strickland

He reminds me of Forrest Griffin a bit in that he’s winning at the highest level purely on heart and hard work. Very hespectable
Interesting comparison… I can see that… doesn’t seem exceptionally gifted in talent, athleticism, attributes etc (though Forrest does have a long build), but works hard as hell and gets the job done…usually at the impression of being an overachiever when compared to attributes possessed.

Usman and Izzy both losing twice in their own divisions the last couple of years has driven Dreyga up around the bend. For good measure Usman lost in a heavier division too. Just like Izzy did.

Too emotionally invested. It’s just sports, man.

Name one press conference Mayra's done that was more entertaining than Sean's.

MBS did great on the press event, she sold me in caring about a fight i normally skip, good on her.

It’s so crazy to see people act like Strickland is this barnburner fighter all of a sudden. Am I the only one who remembers Strickland’s snoozefest against Uriah Hall. Or when played it safe against Jack Hermansson. Or how he went three years without a finish. Mean all but one fight of MBS’s UFC wins have been finishes. She clearly is more entertaining.View attachment 1024360
Mayra Bueno Silva?
353.gif

I would go one step further.

MBS is a more exciting fighter than both Sean Strickland AND his last opponent Israel Adesanya.

Well she clearly is the more manly fighter, so no wonder

sean-strickland-with-hair-v0-qc0aym8jr7db1 copy.jpg

20230714050625_Mayra_Bueno_Silva_ff.JPG

Never heard of her.

I’m willing to bet if Sean fought the same opponents that she has people would be calling Sean an exciting finisher too.

It’s so crazy to see people act like Strickland is this barnburner fighter all of a sudden. Am I the only one who remembers Strickland’s snoozefest against Uriah Hall. Or when played it safe against Jack Hermansson. Or how he went three years without a finish. Mean all but one fight of MBS’s UFC wins have been finishes. She clearly is more entertaining.View attachment 1024360
Welcome to the MBS War Wagon, my friend.

This isn't the gotcha you think it is. This was a pretty lack luster fight from both sides. The only thing exciting about it was Sean backing Izzy down. But then not really throwing much offense but just enough to get the decision. It was only exciting to see izzy lose for most people. But for a 5 round title fight it was not that exciting.

This isn't the gotcha you think it is. This was a pretty lack luster fight from both sides. The only thing exciting about it was Sean backing Izzy down. But then not really throwing much offense but just enough to get the decision. It was only exciting to see izzy lose for most people. But for a 5 round title fight it was not that exciting.
I disagree, It wasnt a JBG-pleasing match, but It was interesting to see how puzzled and desperate Izzy became as the fight progressed, with all his weapons being neutered. Sean calf kick defense was on a level of mastery during this fight i've only seen by the likes of Aldo.

I kinda like her style

If we didn’t know who either guy was we wouldn’t care.

If two flyweights had that exact fight people would have gotten up and pissed between rounds and recharged for the next bout

It's no coincidence that the most controversial outspoken characters in MMA tend to be boring as fuck in the cage.

Strickland has simply pulled the same trick as Chael and Colby before him.

Adopt an outlandish personality to make everyone forget that they would have more fun dunking their balls into a deep fryer than watching you actually fight.

I disagree about Strickland having "adopted an outlandish personality" The reason Strickland resonates with fans is cause he is 100% genuine its not something you can fake. IE Colby oozes with fakeness. And Chael never really pretended to be anything but a showman.

Back