Social Backpack travelling to 4 different countries for 2 months or travelling to one country and staying there for 1 month?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd say for me 1 month at one country, so I get a deeper understanding of that place.

Exited-backpacker.jpg

qtq80-bY679B-1140x876-1-1024x787.jpeg

I'd say for me 1 month at one country, so I get a deeper understanding of that place.

Exited-backpacker.jpg

qtq80-bY679B-1140x876-1-1024x787.jpeg
If it's in Europe you can spend 2 months in one country with occasional weekend trips to neighboring countries.

For bigger countries like Brazil, India, Turkey, etc with diverse geography and climate, one month per country is better.

But for places like Central America, SE Asia, or even parts of Europe you can easily do 2 weeks per country without feeling rushed.

Last edited:
I did a lot of backpacking when I was younger and this depends very much on who you know/meet in the country, and your living arrangements. It's always easy to stay on the beaten path and see the obvious tourist destinations alone, and you can do that anywhere. But the most interesting experiences require you to either befriend some locals or barring that, at least hang out with like-minded travelers who want to go off the beaten path. However, this can be a challenge because most locals want nothing to do with tourists unless they're in the tourism business, in which case they'll want to show you a packaged experience.

So much of your experience will be happenstance and luck. All else being equal, I would go 2 months in 4 difference countries and choose out of the way cities that don't get a lot of tourists, with an aspect that piques your interest like a certain type of cuisine, architecture or natural environment.

If the four countries are on the same continent, I'd say the four in two months.

Get the best bang for your buck. See more places.

Back