Social South Korean Birthrate: Pet strollers surpass baby strollers

So you are not " read stories about it all the time. Gross"

Oh, I’ve read stories … granted, perhaps not “all the time”, but it happens. Look it up.

People have the ability to CHOOSE to not have children, which becomes the normal state of life, and then children need to be rationalized. Look at this thread, the lens of rationalization is entirely from an economic viewpoint, a monetary cost-benefit of childbearing and rearing.

Biologically the investment in offspring never makes sense for the individual member of the species. That holds true up through our significantly more complicated culture.

Perhaps seperate to that, or perhaps as a downstream effect, consider the marriage rates, average age of single people still looking for first partners, etc in any of these outlier/fore-runner states.

If you are waiting until 30 to get most of your life started, ie everything that isn’t economic, you’re very likely to not end up with anything.

SK is insanely expensive and the way you rent there is isn’t more insane

My Korean brother in-law doesn't seem interested in women. We would go cycling together with his male friends (6 or 7 all up) and I think only one of them was in a relationship. They have female friends that also ride with them but they seemed to be genuine friends instead of desiring each other. A few of the females were attractive and I'd ask if he was interested in them and he was 'meh'.

We went cycling on one of the islands to the south of Busan and stayed in Busan overnight, just cheap accommodation near the red light district. Walking home from dinner a bunch of white prostitutes started talking to me, being the only white guy, and we all kept walking, ignoring them. When we walked around the corner every one of the guys apologised to me. I honestly don't know why they felt the need to.

So I really don't know what it is? Maybe a combination of the younger generation not being interested in marriage, cost of living or maybe low T levels?

I mean people was screaming in a thread when a poster claimed her cats cost her what was it 16 USD /day or some shit.
Imagine what a pair of snot nosed kids cost / day.
Also you cant put them down or give them away if you get sick of them.

Yeah but that's a crazy person. I have two cats and a large dog and I think their food works out to like $2/day combined.

My dog's food is $100 for giant bag that lasts like 2 months and my cats' food is iirc $10 for a bag that lasts them like a month.

I'd wager my animals are in better shape than that person's animals too.

South Korea is a brutal, hypercompetitive society in general. It has the highest suicide rate in the industrialized world, which rivals the homicide rate of some other countries. Everything is about how much money and status you have, what your image is in the eyes of others. Mental health issues are highly stigmatized and people can't receive help for them. People are overworked throughout their education and work life. Kids are made to grow up too fast due to the competition to enter the best schools; most students arrive home after 11 PM due to cram school after school. You're given a rank (the prestige of your middle school, high school and university) from a young age based on your performance. There's high income disparity. Everything is about how well you can perform in a corporate environment. Arts and culture are cast aside. Ethics, values, helping other people doesn't matter, the only god is money and status. Even K-pop is largely a manufactured and overworked cattle industry that presents a good image but whose artists are unhappy and under high pressure. It's also a society based on groupthink, consensus and shame, and you have little flexibility in how you can chart your life. I think the bottom line is that when people are in a toxic environment like this, they don't feel like reproducing. Money plays into it, but if you're healthy, happy and you have a support system you can always work around money issues. Americans have 0 safety net but they have the best fertility rate in the western world. There's a big cultural element to it.

Kids are expensive. But, more importantly, status is expensive. And for cultures and communities where status is paramount, kids are an expense that interferes with achieving status. So is marriage and, to a degree, so is sex and dating.

All of that stuff interferes with achieving a high status outcome. And so we're seeing and will continue to see less of it.

South Korea is a brutal, hypercompetitive society in general. It has the highest suicide rate in the industrialized world, which rivals the homicide rate of some other countries. Everything is about how much money and status you have, what your image is in the eyes of others. Mental health issues are highly stigmatized and people can't receive help for them. People are overworked throughout their education and work life. Kids are made to grow up too fast due to the competition to enter the best schools; most students arrive home after 11 PM due to cram school after school. You're given a rank (the prestige of your middle school, high school and university) from a young age based on your performance. There's high income disparity. Everything is about how well you can perform in a corporate environment. Arts and culture are cast aside. Ethics, values, helping other people doesn't matter, the only god is money and status. Even K-pop is largely a manufactured and overworked cattle industry that presents a good image but whose artists are unhappy and under high pressure. It's also a society based on groupthink, consensus and shame, and you have little flexibility in how you can chart your life. I think the bottom line is that when people are in a toxic environment like this, they don't feel like reproducing. Money plays into it, but if you're healthy, happy and you have a support system you can always work around money issues. Americans have 0 safety net but they have the best fertility rate in the western world. There's a big cultural element to it.
You also need your photo on your CV when applying for a job. They already have insane beauty standards. Hard for me to imagine there isn’t a ton of discrimination when applying for work

People from countries with 100x the crime rate, smash and grabs, kidnappings, carjackings, homeless people shitting in the streets, open borders to people from 3rd world countries don't have the room to criticize one of best and safest countries on the planet.

What is going on in South Korea?

According to this article, sales of pet strollers have surpassed that of baby strollers as people are having such fewer babies.

In yet another sign of Korea's falling birthrate, sales of pet strollers have exceeded those of baby strollers this year for the first time, according to Gmarket, an e-commerce platform operator.

Data released on Sunday showed that 43 percent of the total number of strollers sold on the platform during the first three quarters of this year were for human infants, while the remaining 57 percent were strollers designed for animals, mainly dogs and cats.
———————————-

South Korea has the World’s lowest fertility rate at 0.78 and it’s decreasing!!

What is going on over there? People were alarmed by COVID, which killed less than 1% of the population … yet, this this rate of fertility threatens to collapse Korean society, surely!

More should be done to handle this.
The rich get richer, the poor get children

This obsession with 'fur babies' is a sickness that has spread from the West though.
A dog should be kept outside the house, not inside a stroller

This guy Koreas. Also, paragraphs for fucks sakes.

And what about single men with big dogs?
I wonder where you read all those stories all the time...
My sister works in a government facility that holds sex offenders of every type. These are the grimiest people on the planet. Guys doing things with dogs is more common than you think unfortunately.

She is a therapist for these guys so I've heard the most foul stories. These guys are so gross that sometimes they have to force them to shower before they are viable for therapy.

I mean people was screaming in a thread when a poster claimed her cats cost her what was it 16 USD /day or some shit.
Imagine what a pair of snot nosed kids cost / day.
Also you cant put them down or give them away if you get sick of them.

- I posted on this thread that @fingercuffs started. The cost of rising a kid is very high here.
Dont know about South Korea. But probably is similar!

First world pet worship people are fucking weird.

The manager at the local meat market by me, told me that, by far, the most annoying and obnoxious costumers are the ones that come in to purchase meats for their pets. They treat their cats and lapdogs like royalty, while being rude to just about everybody around them.

They feed their animals meats that are of a higher quality than the stuff they eat themselves. They'll literally buy their animal raw organic grass fed meat, while buying themselves processed foods.

Watching them stand on line like:

{<doc}

My poor cousin became one of these weirdos thanks to feminism. She's essentially a fucking shut in now with her Pit, and has alienated herself entirely from the rest of the family/world.

I would like to better understand why people are going this route. It's not good.

- I used to like you. Now i gonna put you bellow Pauly Shore onh my man-crush list!

It is a problem that all "developed" countries face though not as hardcore as SK yet

Like good example of its effect on society is ukr conflict where average age on both sides of the front is over 40

Personally i feel its a cultural issue like people just dont want to have kids, financial stuff does have an affect but then again people have made and keep making kids in absolutely horrific enviroment

Worlds changing, good or bad we will see

- They probably spend so much time on working and in the commit to go to work, theres no time left to rise a kid!

Here were i live the vast marjority of familys today, only has one or two kids!

The rich get richer, the poor get children

This obsession with 'fur babies' is a sickness that has spread from the West though.
A dog should be kept outside the house, not inside a stroller

For me it is all about priorities.

Getting money for money’s sake is pointless. What are you going to buy with it? A slightly more comfortable bed? A slightly more powerful computer? The latest toys?

Having a family with children is supposed to be “the point” of working and saving money, not hedonistic pursuits.

Kids are expensive. But, more importantly, status is expensive. And for cultures and communities where status is paramount, kids are an expense that interferes with achieving status. So is marriage and, to a degree, so is sex and dating.

All of that stuff interferes with achieving a high status outcome. And so we're seeing and will continue to see less of it.

Imo, being married and having children gives you status.

Being a lonely, single 40 year old with no partner or family is kind of low status, imo. It suggests that you didn’t get your s**t together.

For me it is all about priorities.

Getting money for money’s sake is pointless. What are you going to buy with it? A slightly more comfortable bed? A slightly more powerful computer? The latest toys?

Having a family with children is supposed to be “the point” of working and saving money, not hedonistic pursuits.
Yes, it's not a bad thing to have children as long as you can care for them, this saying is just representative of the general demographic shifts in socioeconomic progress across societies. If you can use your wealth and life experiences to raise good children it's a hell of an achievement

Imo, being married and having children gives you status.

Being a lonely, single 40 year old with no partner or family is kind of low status, imo. It suggests that you didn’t get your s**t together.

It can do although not always, and these things are not set they can shift.
As a man, being a 40 Yr old singleton who can still date 25 Yr olds has status and you can still do the family thing when and if you want.
You could also never marry or have family but pursue something meaningful be it through work, philanthropy and charity or spiritual endeavours.

Back