Social South Korean Birthrate: Pet strollers surpass baby strollers

Imo, being married and having children gives you status.

Being a lonely, single 40 year old with no partner or family is kind of low status, imo. It suggests that you didn’t get your s**t together.
It depends on how you measure it. If you're measuring it in terms of accumulated wealth and free time, you'd be gravely mistaken.

You might be applying a standard from prior generations because today's generation values the things they can post on Instagram and they don't care if you have kids or not.

DINK (Dual Income No Kids) is an attractive place to be for the modern world.

Sounds insane 16 per day. I know people who cost less lol. Unless you figure in doctor visits or something. Yes kids are extremly expensive i dont have but friends and family and it gets mentioned a lot in conversation like diapers are suppose to be super expensive and other stuff.

I just looked it up, at my local supermarket you can get 109 diapers for £19, about 17p a diaper.

The big cost of having kids at least in the early years is the cost of childcare and the mother having reduced income while on maternity leave. Baby milk, clothes and diapers are cheap and you can get stuff like strollers second hand.

Who puts their pets in strollers?
To the rest of the world, it's a pet stroller.

1699460512-81jVWxpAUeL.jpg

To asians, it's a shopping cart. Nom nom, desu...sumnida.

never understood the desperation about keeping populations up.
we were fine when we were like 2 billion.
Because you end up with an inverse population pyramid.

It's real bad news if you get to the point where 50% of your population is headed for retirement and pensions. Then you've got a load of old people needing care and not enough young people to fund the country, provide services and care etc.

Overworked, overstressed, overexploited south koreans do not want to have children?

giphy.webp

P.s. the rich and the poor disparity is pretty terrible in SK, compared to other developed countries. Add corruption, abuse, and almost zero chances of social mobility, BOOM, nobody wants to have families in that society.

P.p.s.s. work stress, economic pressure, cultural perks of having to save face ===> most alcohol consumption per capita in the Milky Way...

What is going on in South Korea?

According to this article, sales of pet strollers have surpassed that of baby strollers as people are having such fewer babies.

In yet another sign of Korea's falling birthrate, sales of pet strollers have exceeded those of baby strollers this year for the first time, according to Gmarket, an e-commerce platform operator.

Data released on Sunday showed that 43 percent of the total number of strollers sold on the platform during the first three quarters of this year were for human infants, while the remaining 57 percent were strollers designed for animals, mainly dogs and cats.
———————————-

South Korea has the World’s lowest fertility rate at 0.78 and it’s decreasing!!

What is going on over there? People were alarmed by COVID, which killed less than 1% of the population … yet, this this rate of fertility threatens to collapse Korean society, surely!

More should be done to handle this.
0.78 😱
If they don't start having sex that's gonna be unsustainable very quickly. If it keeps dropping, with life expectancy at an all time high, the few adults that can work are gonna have to take care of the elderly.
I found 1.8 for north korea (decreasing too), maybe a solution over there ?

I just looked it up, at my local supermarket you can get 109 diapers for £19, about 17p a diaper.

The big cost of having kids at least in the early years is the cost of childcare and the mother having reduced income while on maternity leave. Baby milk, clothes and diapers are cheap and you can get stuff like strollers second hand.
Just looked it up they cost 19 £
for 39 pieces here if i translate the exchange rate. Dont see know bigger package just slightly smaller ones for bit less money. My friend told me they go through that stuff quick and you need to buy it every few days or so i havent fact checked him but if true it adds up plus baby food and the things you mentioned.

Day care costs are ridiculous. My brother pays like $400 a week on daycare alone. It's fucking crazy.

South Korea is a brutal, hypercompetitive society in general. It has the highest suicide rate in the industrialized world, which rivals the homicide rate of some other countries. Everything is about how much money and status you have, what your image is in the eyes of others. Mental health issues are highly stigmatized and people can't receive help for them. People are overworked throughout their education and work life. Kids are made to grow up too fast due to the competition to enter the best schools; most students arrive home after 11 PM due to cram school after school. You're given a rank (the prestige of your middle school, high school and university) from a young age based on your performance. There's high income disparity. Everything is about how well you can perform in a corporate environment. Arts and culture are cast aside. Ethics, values, helping other people doesn't matter, the only god is money and status. Even K-pop is largely a manufactured and overworked cattle industry that presents a good image but whose artists are unhappy and under high pressure. It's also a society based on groupthink, consensus and shame, and you have little flexibility in how you can chart your life. I think the bottom line is that when people are in a toxic environment like this, they don't feel like reproducing. Money plays into it, but if you're healthy, happy and you have a support system you can always work around money issues. Americans have 0 safety net but they have the best fertility rate in the western world. There's a big cultural element to it.
What a hellscape

A single woman with a small dog, the small dog is a substitute for a baby.

A single woman with a big dog, the dog is a substitute for a boyfriend.

Just a theory.

images
I would have gone with guard dog if they live alone, and bestiality would rank pretty far down the list.

Day care costs are ridiculous. My brother pays like $400 a week on daycare alone. It's fucking crazy.

Yeah it's crazy, I know a bunch of people who spend more on childcare than their rent or mortgage.

Imo, being married and having children gives you status.

Being a lonely, single 40 year old with no partner or family is kind of low status, imo. It suggests that you didn’t get your s**t together.
jesus christ, imagine living your life believing in shit like this.

Because you end up with an inverse population pyramid.

It's real bad news if you get to the point where 50% of your population is headed for retirement and pensions. Then you've got a load of old people needing care and not enough young people to fund the country, provide services and care etc.
this is only true in a society where all old people are absolute wrecks.
most old people i know and knew are just fine on their own, even in their late 80, some in their nineties.
you're not going to have 50% of the population needing intense care, jesus.

most old people i know and knew are just fine on their own, even in their late 80, some in their nineties.

It goes beyond that too since those people were taking up jobs that need people to replace. When they retire you need people to work those same jobs for society to function. Then other positions will be needed to cater to those people with all the money beyond care.

jesus christ, imagine living your life believing in shit like this.

Society does look at 40 year old single people weird.

Even healthy old people who are retired are still claiming pensions well into their 90s. Thus, they are not producing taxable income, they are massive consumers. For a country, they are absolute money pits.

Last edited:
Even healthy old people who are retired and claiming pensions, they are not producing taxable income, they are massive consumers. For a country, they are money pits.
so what's the answer to that? shame people into having children? that's not happening.

Back