Media Du Plessis says he's likely to wait out for months, looking for legacy of bringing UFC to Africa

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

On where he's at:

"I can walk normally again, that's what a couple of days of holiday will do. We weren't supposed to go on holiday, but we touched down 7 in the morning on the 25th.
And we had this amazing welcome at the airport, it was amazing but we only got back to Pretoria, to my house at 4 in the afternoon. After a 28 hour flight.
It was amazing to see all the support, but hard to keep my eyes open and I was a little bit under the weather and I mean, I went to Jacobsbay to a friend of mine.
Supposed to stay for just two days but ended up staying four. I mean there was no people there, just the beach. It made me heal faster, I mean, I didn't get up for two
days. I just slept there."

On what's next:

"Uh, right now I don't have a date to be honest. When I get back to Petoria now we'll do the MRI's. We've done some scans making sure of brain health. All of those
things, I mean we have a long career ahead of us and just in terms of making sure the right pacing... I mean, we just won a world title. And obviously this last year it
was fight after fight after fight. And sometimes I was injured, having to take a fight. Sometimes when you get these opportunities you don't know when they are coming
again, so you have to because it's a chance to step towards the belt. Now we have the belt so we don't have to take unnecessary risks. I want the best fight for me,
for South Africa, for the people and the fight they wanna see."

"Other than that, I want to bring the UFC to South Africa. That's what needs to happen, you know that's legacy. If I have to wait it out for some months then I'm willing
to do that. Because fighting at a big event is one thing, defending my belt is one thing, but it's been done before. UFC on African soil, on home soil, has never been
done. That's legacy and that's gonna be remembered forever. And that's what we want."

Izzy vs Sean Interim at UFC 300

dana-white-dana-white-slurp.gif

This seems pretty common, both Dricus and Pennington who won their belts recently have both now said they don't want to defend right away.

It's frustrating for fans, but I can sort of understand it. Fighters see the belt as the goal they've been working towards for years, in the case of Pennington, almost 10 years in the UFC alone.

He just won the belt. Sitting out a couple months then fighting in the summer or something would be the norm for what champions do. And he is right -- now that he's the champ, he doesn't have to take unnecessary risks.

Last edited:
If DDP is out, that only leaves Izzy vs Alex for UFC 300 then?
Unless Islam makes an exception and returns to fight Leon.

1706872169467.png
Talk about entitlement.
Either vacate or Fight. Im not hearing nothing else.

And lastly DDP.... bro....stop. you doing way too much.
Regardless of where you think you were born or raised
YOU WILL NEVER EVER BE THAT GUY #NO_ONES_IMPRESSED

1706872443315.png

Last edited:
I'm starting to see how teh UFC could justify an interim fight between Izzy & Khamzat.

Note: I don't agree... I'm just seeing how that could be justified with DDP holding out for a future card that isn't made yet in a country that has never had a prior card.

Last edited:
Fuck off, just defend the damn belt.

WTF is this with people getting the title then immediately turning into divas?

Say what you like abut Strickland, the fucker just likes to fight and would always stay active.
Everyone wants to stretch out and milk their title reign.

Oh boy. Who would’ve thought he was going to turn into such a diva. Seems like the division already needs an interim title fight.

Anyone bitching about champions not taking as much risks about fighting injured doesn't pay much attention to MMA, this happens with almost any fighter that becomes champion. Besides, based on what he said he hasn't even been asked to defend his belt yet anyway so it's not like he is even delaying anything.

Back