• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whats has been more destructive American Society in recent times?

What's caused most harm to American society

• Legalization of Weed

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Prescription opiods

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • Social media

Votes: 34 56.7%

• Total voters
Death wise, opiods for sure. If we look at overall effect on society, I’d go with social media by a mile. It has been widely used to divide people, spread misinformation, and created an entire generation of addicts who can’t put their phones down for more than 5 minutes at a time and who seek instant gratification through approval.

I say opioids because they led to heroin/fentanyl, which kills almost 100k/year, but also because the gangs that sell these drugs are so violent leading to thousands of murders and over 100k non fatal shootings.

Personally, I would have liked to see guns and political strife as options as well. Would be more interesting. Having weed in there is a ridiculous option

Prescription opiods being prescribed like asprin 90s thru about 2015.

Legalization of Weed In heavy populated areas

The emergence of Social Media FB/X/IG

All to me are very close in terms of being bad for society in general. Gun to head I say say social media but even as a smoker myself there's no denying the negative effects of legalization of Weed on society.
Yes I too remember how hundreds of thousands of people OD'd and died from too much pots. Clown shit.

If you want to make an argument against weed it should be against the concentrates and the pesticides these lazy fuckers use. The plant is way less of a problem than the bug spray and concentration of weed which turns into these wildly potent products.
Weed is certainly less of a problem than alcohol consumption. Personally I think for both you should have to get a separate license to purchase them like in medical marijuana states which require that you get a card and renew it annually and they should only be sold at dedicated stories like dispensaries or liquor stores. That way if you are found to be an irresponsible user(giving or selling to unauthorized users, committing crimes while under the influence) you get your weed or booze card revoked.

But opioids are obviously the biggest problem, that alone has cratered the life expectancy of certain communities that got hit hard by the crisis. Social media has negative effects but they are a lot less direct than that of drugs like opioids and weed.

Yeah, seriously. It worries me that people actually believe that nonsense.

It's not nonsense at all, it is both first hand accounts from myself, and second hand accounts from lots of friends that work in Chicago / Cook County law enforcement.

Weed is certainly less of a problem than alcohol consumption. Personally I think for both you should have to get a separate license to purchase them like in medical marijuana states which require that you get a card and renew it annually and they should only be sold at dedicated stories like dispensaries or liquor stores. That way if you are found to be an irresponsible user(giving or selling to unauthorized users, committing crimes while under the influence) you get your weed or booze card revoked.

But opioids are obviously the biggest problem, that alone has cratered the life expectancy of certain communities that got hit hard by the crisis. Social media has negative effects but they are a lot less direct than that of drugs like opioids and weed.
I've never heard the idea in the first paragraph and I like it, for shutting down duis and violent users

It's insane how strong it is now.

In the 90's we used to front like the brown pot of the 70's was far more potent. Then they introduced us to the hydro and some of us old fucks couldn't find our way home from our own garage.

It's still a tolerance game with diminishing returns though, at least for me. I don't care the potency, if I smoke constantly, it stops having much effect on me.

The progressive left's perpetuation of victim culture, by a mile. Nothing has had a more detrimental effect on this country, not even close.

The opioid epidemic by so much it's laughable. You can at least debate the positives and negatives of social media.

The wanton over prescribing of painkillers has created a snowball effect that goes so far beyond just the people that have died from overdosing. It's destroyed families, entire communities in some states, and has cost untold billions.

As sad as it is, at this point I feel like it's very rare to come across a person who doesn't at least know of someone in their circle of family/friends that hasn't dealt with opioid addiction.

It's not nonsense at all, it is both first hand accounts from myself, and second hand accounts from lots of friends that work in Chicago / Cook County law enforcement.

Guessing you're seeing what you want to see.

Guessing your friends in law enforcement see any reform as the enemy. This is coming from someone with a very healthy respect for that position.

Back