Media UFC 298 Press Conference Discussion Thread

Conor obviously has a better personality, likeability etc, but McGregor also had the UFC hype machine behind him from day 3. His whole build up to the belt was textbook marketing. Ilia is like the opposite of that and whatever he does makes zero difference to be quite honest

The only thing that mildly concerns me (and I don’t think this will happen), but when a person plays a character or wears a costume long enough, that character seeps into the brain.. think back to when you wore a Halloween costume and you kinda become that thing for a moment..and the longer you wear it, the more it trickles in. I hope Volk playing and old man doesn’t creep into his subconscious. Any doubt at that high level can be detrimental I’m sure. As entertaining as it was, I would have rather seen Volk come in with his normal game face. That being said, I’m sure Volk’s brain is bulletproof. Who knows, maybe it’ll give him old man strength.

Conor obviously has a better personality, likeability etc, but McGregor also had the UFC hype machine behind him from day 3. His whole build up to the belt was textbook marketing. Ilia is like the opposite of that and whatever he does makes zero difference to be quite honest
Ilia is getting a title shot despite nobody knowing who he is. He's the guy being pushed entirely by the UFC.

But sure, the UFC "manufactured" Conor harder. Even though the entire reason he was signed was because he was the hottest European prospect at the time already. And it was totally textbook marketing when his opponents kept falling through and Conor kept saving his fights by fighting whoever instead of just waiting for them so that he could keep his momentum going.

Christ, I'd love if you guys actually had to look at his record and see him having fought Andy fucking Ogle instead of Max Holloway like he was supposed to.

Topuira is already greater than McGregor ever was. Topuira takes training seriously and doesn’t abuse himself with alcohol, cocaine, and women.

I don’t get the wannabe Conor stuff regarding Topuria. He’s a boring personality with generic demeanour. I never liked Conor but he was at least interesting, no?
60% of the roster since 2015 has tried to be McGregor. Before hand there were certain cases of people who talked but afterwards every presser had people trying to “sell” their fights with trash talk but pretty much exposed themselves as retarded in the process (looking at you Michael “Eat my shit whole” Johnson)

Back