I thought Costa looked the best he has in a while

lol… people actually thought costa won? He had some good jabs and a little low kicks, but Rob was blasting Costas face with overhands and uppercuts, along with the calf kick.

I did see Costa training for this fight and thought he looked hella quick. Seemed motivated and really got his weight under control. Good cardio, great speed, legs looked a good bit smaller.

I agree with the other poster than his head movement and boxing could use a little work. Rob looked slick tho

He has a great liver kick and a great step in left high kick. But the mans arms all all over the place. No one is mentioning it. But his arms are at his waist at all times. He just needs a guard. He doesn't have that elusive style. Can't fight like that when you can't time and dodge those punches. You need a good long guard setup. He just doesn't have that. After every attack his hands are just wherever they are at the moment.

If I was his coach I'd drill the shit out of long guard setups and catching kicks.

I thought he forgot how to fight like Costa. Trying to be technical and cautious against Whittaker isn't going to work when you aren't a natural counter puncher. Costa at his best throws combos and has non stop pressure. Same way DDP broke him

especially given how infrequently he's been fighting as of late

looked pretty good for being Costa tbh

he's really deceptive in that he looks like a big blockhead meathead but has very good dexterity and quickness with his kicks

Costa
I thought he forgot how to fight like Costa. Trying to be technical and cautious against Whittaker isn't going to work when you aren't a natural counter puncher. Costa at his best throws combos and has non stop pressure. Same way DDP broke him

Exactly right.

Pressure-fighting Paolo Costa is no more.

He was broken by Izzy. No longer believes in his own chin.

We now have "cautious, tactical" Costa, who never threw one right cross, but who only through left hooks while backing up, trying to pull his chin out of the way.

Weak and lame.

Costa looked good on the outside but his inside fighting looked tentative

If this would have gotten longer, Costa would have probably found an openeing and eded it but man, Rob is indeed a fantastic fighter. I never expected it to go down like this. Well done for him.

He did look good. Better than I was expecting. Let's see if can be reasonably active and have more fights where he looks good and wins.

His guard is atrocious, some of the worst defensive boxing I've seen in the UFC for a so-called striker in years. His left hooks are a joke as well. Most hits he took are because his arms are all over the place except where they should be at the distance he wants to fight at. Such a shame because I was really banking on him to have made real adjustments but alas. These fundamentals will be hard to correct at this point.

He has a great liver kick and a great step in left high kick. But the mans arms all all over the place. No one is mentioning it. But his arms are at his waist at all times. He just needs a guard. He doesn't have that elusive style. Can't fight like that when you can't time and dodge those punches. You need a good long guard setup. He just doesn't have that. After every attack his hands are just wherever they are at the moment.

If I was his coach I'd drill the shit out of long guard setups and catching kicks.
THIS

especially given how infrequently he's been fighting as of late

looked pretty good for being Costa tbh

he's really deceptive in that he looks like a big blockhead meathead but has very good dexterity and quickness with his kicks
still had some cardio issues thats why Rob was able to win because he slowed down enough for Rob to start picking him apart.

He did look good.

Oddly, I thought bobby would get the decision, but my stream kept going in and out.

What I did see was costa was closest to finishing the fight, he stayed in the center, and bobby was more visibly damaged. Costa looked tired, yet he loses.

He was fairly in shape, but what I saw in that fight is a guy that was losing most of the exchanges, and afraid of engaging, like not thrusting his own chin. Whitaker is not even in his prime, I don't see much future for Costa, unfortunately.
I mean, he almost knocked him out bruh

I agree.. as much as I am not a fan of the personality, he looked pretty sharp yesterday. Dropping a bit of mass made him even quicker.. he was just a too tentative which costed Costa the cost.

He looked like he had gas for all 3 rounds which was surprising, he just needs to stay active. If he wants to really contend then he needs another 2 fights this year

Yeah I thought costa looked good last night. His striking defense is still poor. He gets tagged a lot. But he can take the shots the reaper was giving him. Rob is the better overall striker and it showed. His jab was firing constantly last night and costa couldn’t stop it.

He would be on top of the world right now if Whittaker went to sleep after that spinning heel kick like he should have. One of the hardest strikes I've seen a fighter eat without going out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaybeHawk
Back