How would you rank these fighters in order - Jose Aldo, Khabib, Izzy, DC, Mighty Mouse, Alexander Volkanovski?

Lol, you have no consistency
I’m perfectly consistent. The first 4 names are in my top 10 all time rankings, in the exact same order I have them here. Volk is very close to cracking my top 10 all time, and I think a good argument can be made for him cracking my #10 spot, so I have him next. Followed by Izzy.

By the look of your ranking, you either drew names from a hat at random or ranked them in order of who has the most social media followers or something?
<{Heymansnicker}>

I’m perfectly consistent. The first 4 names are in my top 10 all time rankings, in the exact same order I have them here. Volk is very close to cracking my top 10 all time, and I think a good argument can be made for him cracking my #10 spot, so I have him next. Followed by Izzy.

By the look of your ranking, you either drew names from a hat at random or ranked them in order of who has the most social media followers or something?
<{Heymansnicker}>
No, according to who they beat and how.

I meant your criteria. When it’s convenient for, you use title defences as the most important and irreplaceable criteria. Like Volk can’t be higher than Aldo because Aldo has more title defences, despite Volk beating better competition and beating Aldo as well. Yet, you have no problem ranking Khabib over Izzy, although Izzy has double the title wins Khabib has

Khabib
MM
Jose Aldo
DC
Volk

Izzy cant be even in this list
Izzy was undefeated too when he had the same title defenses as Khabib, but him not running away and having the heart and balls to fight at higher weight class makes him better than Khabib
BuT KHaBiB AlwAyS DoMinAtEd

aldo
dc
mm
volk
khabib
izzy

khabib ranked second to last for having faced so few ranked fighters, but looking great against them. izzy ranked dead last for facing many ranked fighters and looking like shit vs half of them.

Khabib
Aldo
Mighty Mouse
Volk
Izzy
DC (Ran from Cain at HW, dog walked by Jones 2x, 1-2 against Stipe)

No, according to who they beat and how.

I meant your criteria. When it’s convenient for, you use title defences as the most important and irreplaceable criteria. Like Volk can’t be higher than Aldo because Aldo has more title defences, despite Volk beating better competition and beating Aldo as well. Yet, you have no problem ranking Khabib over Izzy, although Izzy has double the title wins Khabib has
Because it’s relative to weight class. Title defense are not, and have never been, “the most important and irreplaceable criteria” in my rankings. That just simply isn’t true.

One thing I do prioritize pretty highly is being GOAT of one’s weight class. Khabib is, Izzy is not. Unless you had a weird situation where a certain division is complete trash or something, it makes sense to me that if you’re ranking the greatest MMA fighters ever, the 8 divisional GOATs are going to occupy most of those top 10 spots.

4 of the names we are debating here are in my top 10 all time, and I put them in the same order I always do relative to one another. Volk is my #11 all time, therefore he came next. Izzy is… I dunno, between #12-#18 or so and thus he was listed last. It’s absolutely consistent with how I always rank.

I'm looking at actual accomplishments here.

Did Khabib avoid 170 out of fear of losing? Who knows. That's speculation.
And when you look at the accomplishments, you should look at how much he defended his title. Some people say ''he is the goat because if he didn't retire, he would've been 50-0 and triple champ.''. What if's doesn't matter, we need to look at the reality. Not ''he would've retire as 50-0'' or ''he would've destroyed by Usman''
You don't even need to talk about Khabib not going up, his title defenses proves how much behind he is compared to the greats. You can bring going up when you compare fighters with similar amounts of title defenses

Because it’s relative to weight class. Title defense are not, and have never been, “the most important and irreplaceable criteria” in my rankings. That just simply isn’t true.

One thing I do prioritize pretty highly is being GOAT of one’s weight class. Khabib is, Izzy is not. Unless you had a weird situation where a certain division is complete trash or something, it makes sense to me that if you’re ranking the greatest MMA fighters ever, the 8 divisional GOATs are going to occupy most of those top 10 spots.

4 of the names we are debating here are in my top 10 all time, and I put them in the same order I always do relative to one another. Volk is my #11 all time, therefore he came next. Izzy is… I dunno, between #12-#18 or so and thus he was listed last. It’s absolutely consistent with how I always rank.
Okay. So if title defences aren’t the deciding factor, how do you justify Aldo being above Volk? Volk beat better competition, beat Aldo and beat the guy who beat Aldo.

Okay. So if title defences aren’t the deciding factor, how do you justify Aldo being above Volk? Volk beat better competition, beat Aldo and beat the guy who beat Aldo.
Goddamn.

Username checks out.

Nah i don't agree with it being relative to the weight class, if it is then you should never talk about him being P4P GOAT. You can't be P4P GOAT for fighting 3 years while the greats at the other weight classes dominates for almost a decade. I agree with Khabib being the LW GOAT but surpassing him not that hard. I'm sure in the next 10 years someone will surpass him easily but you can't say that for LHW and Jones. Even Islam has the potential to be the GOAT LW

That's not a valid reason.

Did Aldo challenge himself by moving up? No.

Did DC? No, he started at HW and moved down.Then up again.

Izzy challenged himself by moving up and lost. That's not an accomplishment in itself.
The only reason aldo didn’t move up is because the ufc would’ve stripped him of his title if he did, they treated aldo like shit

Anyone that doesn’t have Khabib at the top needs to be purged from the sport… the man had a career that defines excellence.

Went undefeated in the premier MMA division and arguably never lost a round.

Khabib > Bunch of dudes who’ve been one tapped and embarrassed in the cage

<KhabibBS>

You’re making 2 subtle shifts of the argument.

A minute ago you wanted to use that metric to compare a FW and a MW, and I told you I consider that metric relative to weight class. Now, you’re comparing two FWs—so, same weight class.

Secondly, you shifted from this being “the most important and irreplaceable criteria” to “the deciding factor.” That’s two totally different things. When comparing two fighters of the same weight class, it could certainly be a deciding factor, maybe even *the* deciding factor, I suppose.

• Aldo has more ranked FW wins than Volk
  • Aldo has more title wins than Volk
  • Aldo has more title defenses than Volk
  • Aldo has a longer FW win streak than Volk
  • Aldo was on top of the FW division longer than Volk
I mean, there’s no significant metric at all that Volk beats Aldo. None.
Nah i don't agree with it being relative to the weight class, if it is then you should never talk about him being P4P GOAT. You can't be P4P GOAT for fighting 3 years while the greats at the other weight classes dominates for almost a decade. I agree with Khabib being the LW GOAT but surpassing him not that hard. I'm sure in the next 10 years someone will surpass him easily but you can't say that for LHW and Jones. Even Islam has the potential to be the GOAT LW
Well, I don’t talk about that lol. I think P4P is silly and I don’t really discuss rankings in that context.

I agree that Khabib can be surpassed; both Benson and BJ Penn (my #2 and #3 LWs all time, respectively) also had 3 defenses, and Benson actually has more when you include WEC. Islam certainly has potential, but his two defenses don’t mean much to me when they’re against the same dude from a weight class below.

I mean, people can be surpassed, even Jones. You and I agree that Khabib is LW GOAT, but he wasn’t always. He surpassed BJ in most people’s opinion at a certain point in time. Jones can be surpassed too—but if his name was in the mix here, I’d be ranking him above MM, Aldo, Khabib, DC, Volk, and Izzy anyhow, so I don’t really see the point there.

Anyone that doesn’t have Khabib at the top needs to be purged from the sport… the man had a career that defines excellence.

Went undefeated in the premier MMA division and arguably never lost a round.

Khabib > Bunch of dudes who’ve been one tapped and embarrassed in the cage

<KhabibBS>
If he had fought anywhere near as many ranked opponents as everyone else has and did that, it’d mean a whole lot more. Of the 8 divisional GOATs, his resume is the weakest.

Izzy was undefeated too when he had the same title defenses as Khabib, but him not running away and having the heart and balls to fight at higher weight class makes him better than Khabib
BuT KHaBiB AlwAyS DoMinAtEd
Izzy is undoubtably ahead of khabib this isn’t debatable to anyone with a brain

Back