I know this sounds like clickbait. But MMA fighters need to stay in their lane.

Well, he may have preferred Boxing to MMA, or Boxing Money to MMA, but after AJ khtfo does he still? Moreover is the money still there?

He got top level opponents, so he got top level money. I'd have to think the payday for Chisora for example would be considerably less.
He was a boxing fan, never a MMA fan.
If that was me, regardless of the money, I'd stay in boxing because that was the goal.
Plus your name is among the prestige of greatness in boxing. You can say you got in there with Fury and Joshua instead of Mirko Strips and Garret Hamburg or whoever the fuck is over there.

Lol at referring to boxing as 'we'.
When AJ won, I cheered like I won, you know why? Because I did.

Drove down the street honking my horn like a madman. Got out at one point and start shadow boxing on the corner.
Had to explain to some guy why I was doing it. After I did, he got away from me immediately, I'm assuming it's to go grab his kids and to go celebrate boxings win that we just we accomplished.

We did it folks.
2nd round KO.
Next time train harder shithead and maybe you can honk your horn too.

I think he'd rather box but if he was ok with what you just described he wouldn't have fought AJ in the first place and would have fought a top 10 guy to get a win under his belt. I think Francis was "belt or bust". He fought the lineal champ then went straight to a title elim. I don't think he has interest in boxing for boxings sake. I think he prefers boxing to MMA but hes fighting for titles in MMA and isn't going to abandon that to be a HW gatekeeper.

Maybe he fights one more time for the money. But hes 0-2 now and not a contender I think that really pops the money baloon. People are going to expect him to get clapped again whether thats fair or not. I don't think people are going to huddle around the TV wondering if he can beat Derek Chisora.
He needs a rebound opponent after getting knocked dead early. Those types of match-ups aren't meant to sell, they're only made to boost the fighter's confidence. He could still make good money against someone like Chisora. Just nowhere near as much as he'd make against one of the Big 4. We'll see what he does.

He needs a rebound opponent after getting knocked dead early. Those types of match-ups aren't meant to sell, they're only made to boost the fighter's confidence. He could still make good money against someone like Chisora. Just nowhere near as much as he'd make against one of the Big 4. We'll see what he does.

I think he needed that after the Fury fight. I thought the AJ fight was a terrible mistake from a non financial perspective. The more I reflect on this the more I feel Eddie Hearn took advantage of Francis's confidence so AJ could have a low risk high reward fight. He used Francis mania as a tool to get Usyk and Fury to promise to fight the winner when I do not think either would have agreed to fight AJ if Francis wasn't in the picture.

But yeah I think its hard to do minor fights when you have the option of doing major ones in another sport. Its one thing to be an elite boxer coming off being destroyed by a top guy. Fighters in that spot are kind of forced to rehabilitate their image. But Francis doesn't need to do that. He can say he was a judge away from the lineal belt made a boatload of money call it a win and walk away.

I think he needed that after the Fury fight. I thought the AJ fight was a terrible mistake from a non financial perspective. The more I reflect on this the more I feel Eddie Hearn took advantage of Francis's confidence so AJ could have a low risk high reward fight. He used Francis mania as a tool to get Usyk and Fury to promise to fight the winner when I do not think either would have agreed to fight AJ if Francis wasn't in the picture.

But yeah I think its hard to do minor fights when you have the option of doing major ones in another sport. Its one thing to be an elite boxer coming off being destroyed by a top guy. Fighters in that spot are kind of forced to rehabilitate their image. But Francis doesn't need to do that. He can say he was a judge away from the lineal belt made a boatload of money call it a win and walk away.
The reason Francis fought AJ is because Turki Alalshikh wanted the match-up as a title eliminator. He wanted to crown a #1 contender for the winner of Fury vs Usyk. For Fury it makes sense to fight AJ but Usyk has already beaten him twice consecutively. If Usyk beats Fury he may give him his immediate rematch but he could also promptly retire. Francis will have to make his way back into the title picture if that's what he wants to do. Otherwise he'll fight MMA in the PFL.

just to make less money?

It's a completely false argument. Joshua doesn't make more money against Pulev or Jermaine than against Jon Jones.

Not all of his opponents in boxing bring a lot of value. Also, outside of a fight against Fury, i think there would be more buzz vs Jon Jones than against any other boxer.

So once gain, your money argument is wrong. I don't continue anymore on this point since it's a waste of time.

It's a completely false argument. Joshua doesn't make more money against Pulev or Jermaine than against Jon Jones.

Not all of his opponents in boxing bring a lot of value. Also, outside of a fight against Fury, i think there would be more buzz vs Jon Jones than against any other boxer.

So once gain, your money argument is wrong. I don't continue anymore on this point since it's a waste of time.
Sigh. You still don't get it. SMH
Wrong, he beat Fury for a lot of people.

Style make fights, so instead not against very hard punchers.
He lost a close fight. I couldn't care less what a minority of fans scored it unofficially.

He lost a close fight. I couldn't care less what a minority of fans scored it unofficially.

It's still completely irrelevant to my point. Even if you think he lost, still a close fight as you said against the champion.

Yet you said he should not fight top 5 fighters. Did you get the contradiction ? Like for the money debate ?

It's still completely irrelevant to my point. Even if you think he lost, still a close fight as you said against the champion.

Yet you said he should not fight top 5 fighters. Did you get the contradiction ? Like for the money debate ?
He should no longer fight Top 5 fighters after getting blown out like that. That isn't a contradiction. What he needs now is a rebound fight against someone he can actually beat. He's 0-2 in boxing against Top 5 guys. Time for him to take a step down in competition and actually work his way back if he's able to.

He should no longer fight Top 5 fighters after getting blown out like that. That isn't a contradiction. What he needs now is a rebound fight against someone he can actually beat. He's 0-2 in boxing against Top 5 guys. Time for him to take a step down in competition and actually work his way back if he's able to.

Styles make fights and he did good against Fury, whether you think he lost or not. That's why he fought Joshua in the first place.

Ngannou should especially avoid hard punchers, their ranking doesn't matter. Usyk instead of Joshua would have avoided such a brutal beating.

That being said, if he only wants money, he has no reason to avoid big names, even if he still loses. However, he can't take such a brutal beating anymore for his own health. Overall, there's no magic, i think Ngannou will struggle in boxing because he came way too late, especially with his style : a good chin doesn't last eternally, even against pillow fisted fighters.

Styles make fights and he did good against Fury, whether you think he lost or not. That's why he fought Joshua in the first place.

Ngannou should especially avoid hard punchers, their ranking doesn't matter. Usyk instead of Joshua would have avoided such a brutal beating.

That being said, if he only wants money, he has no reason to avoid big names, even if he still loses. However, he can't take such a brutal beating anymore for his own health. Overall, there's no magic, i think Ngannou will struggle in boxing because he came way too late, especially with his style : a good chin doesn't last eternally, even against pillow fisted fighters.
Usyk only appears to be the safer option for Ngannou than AJ was but he'll pick him apart bad for 10 rounds (if not stop him late). He'd hit him at will and often. Ngannou will accumulate even more damage over the course of the fight. That would actually be worse for his health than getting blown out early like AJ did to him.

Ngannou fought Joshua because the Saudis instructed him to. It was a title eliminator to crown the top contender for the winner of Fury vs Usyk (undisputed champion). That was his chance to potentially get a Fury rematch if he beat AJ.

Usyk only appears to be the safer option for Ngannou than AJ was but he'll pick him apart bad for 10 rounds (if not stop him late). He'd hit him at will and often. Ngannou will accumulate even more damage over the course of the fight. That would actually be worse for his health than getting blown out early like AJ did to him.

Maybe but Ngannou is dangerous if he doesn't respect your power. See what happened to Fury who likely hits harder than Usyk. Fury has proper knockdowns in his carerr, Usyk not a single one in the HW division.

Sure Usyk would hit him, but Ngannou isn't like Joshua : he comes forward, is more aggressive and hits back. Joshua is more shy whenever he's technically surpassed.

In my opinion, a far less dangerous fight than Joshua. A fight that Ngannou could even potentially win. That being said, his chin is probably cracked now after what happened to him.

Maybe but Ngannou is dangerous if he doesn't respect your power. See what happened to Fury who likely hits harder than Usyk. Fury has proper knockdowns in his carerr, Usyk not a single one in the HW division.

Sure Usyk would hit him, but Ngannou isn't like Joshua : he comes forward, is more aggressive and hits back. Joshua is more shy whenever he's technically surpassed.

In my opinion, a far less dangerous fight than Joshua. A fight that Ngannou could even potentially win. That being said, his chin is probably cracked now after what happened to him.
Ngannou would take a cumulative beating against Usyk. A slow, crude, stationary target like him would get badly picked apart. All Usyk would have to do is spam his sharp straight left hand round after round. Ngannou's face would be falling apart in there which could lead to a stoppage. Usyk is far too skilled for a guy like Ngannou to hit cleanly. He couldn't even hit AJ with anything solid.

Ngannou would take a cumulative beating against Usyk. A slow, crude, stationary target like him would get badly picked apart. All Usyk would have to do is spam his sharp straight left hand round after round. Ngannou's face would be falling apart in there which could lead to a stoppage. Usyk is far too skilled for a guy like Ngannou to hit cleanly. He couldn't even hit AJ with anything solid.

Once again, Fury was never able to hurt Ngannou, yet Fury has proper knockouts in his career.

I think Ngannou would have been very fine against Usyk who doesn't have a single proper knockout in the HW division.

Now that his chin has been likely cracked by Joshua, it could be different though, but before the Joshua fight, he doesn't stop Ngannou : Fury could not while he hits harder than Usyk.

Once again, Fury was never able to hurt Ngannou, yet Fury has proper knockouts in his career.

I think Ngannou would have been very fine against Usyk who doesn't have a single proper knockout in the HW division.

Now that his chin has been likely cracked by Joshua, it could be different though, but before the Joshua fight, he doesn't stop Ngannou : Fury could not while he hits harder than Usyk.
Fights can be stopped for a variety of reasons. Usyk has a huge advantage in skill, speed, and accuracy. For a heavyweight he's also a slick southpaw that has the best chin and gas tank in the division. He'd make Ngannou fight at a pace he's never fought at before. I could see him gassing in the fight. Just trying to keep up with Usyk was exhausting for Joshua. Now imagine a guy with 20 lbs more muscle mass who doesn't have that type of stamina. When guys get tired they're easier to hurt.

Former undisputed world champion Ricardo Mayorga has a sterling MMA record of 0-3-0, 1 NC.
Mayorga was never undisputed. He was a former two-belt unified champ. He did fight for undisputed against Cory Spinks and lost. When he entered MMA he was 40 years old and a longtime cigarette smoker. You left that part out.

Mayorga was never undisputed. He was a former two-belt unified champ. He did fight for undisputed against Cory Spinks and lost. When he entered MMA he was 40 years old and a longtime cigarette smoker. You left that part out.

Sorry I meant to say he was The Ring magazine champion which means he was the consensus best Welterweight in the world. Were Woodley and Diaz not both pushing 40? Diaz is a longtime smoker as well.

Sorry I meant to say he was The Ring magazine champion which means he was the consensus best Welterweight in the world. Were Woodley and Diaz not both pushing 40? Diaz is a longtime smoker as well.
The consensus best welterweight in the world but couldn't beat a 5-to-1 underdog in Cory Spinks (who already had 2 losses prior) for the undisputed welterweight title? Okay. Diaz is a marijuana smoker. He doesn't smoke cigs. Mayorga chain smoked them. He was also an alcoholic and had the worst work ethic in the sport.

Back