Has wmma regressed?

The Bantamweight division is pretty rough at the moment but has a few decent prospects, and Chiasson, Aldana, and Rosa all looked great in their last fights. Aldana vs Rosa was one of the best fights all year, despite the embarrassing snub by Sherdog.

Pennington as champion is a bad look, but she's better than most people give her credit for and she's definitely a placeholder champ.

Flyweight and Strawweight are both really good, competitive divisions with lots of good prospects and a few serious contenders.

The growth of the sport means that there are lots of marginal talents in the UFC, but the same can be said for men.

TLDR - No

In days of old we had the likes of Cyborg, Ronda, Amanda Nunez, Joanna Jerdreszyck. Today we have Raqel Pennington as champ..

Rousey and Nunes both benefited from incredibly shallow divisions, and that hasn't changed. Remember, Nunes struggled with (and arguably lost to) Shevchenko, a women 20 pounds lighter than her. Rousey, of course, was revealed to be terrible as soon as she ran into fighters she couldn't just bully and bumrush.

In short, 135 and especially 145 have always been bad. 125 has improved, and 115 started strong and stayed strong. So no, WMMA hasn't regressed.

Hmm I don’t know man. Tom Aspinall is legit as they come. Poatan is also a very high level fighter
Poatan is a prominent boxer who has somehow managed to become champ without ever facing a prominent grappler. The fact that he's champ is an anomaly

I've noticed lately that cards have less of it sadly. Hoping it revives itself and we get to a 40/60 or 50/50 ratio soon.

Poatan is a prominent boxer who has somehow managed to become champ without ever facing a prominent grappler. The fact that he's champ is an anomaly

It's not like MW and LHW are stacked with prominent grapplers. Tell me which prominent grapplers can fight him for the belt other than Ankalaev? Alex has already fought Blachowicz btw.

I've noticed lately that cards have less of it sadly. Hoping it revives itself and we get to a 40/60 or 50/50 ratio soon.

It's that they're lacking big stars and highly marketable people. Adesanya is on a break, Ngannou fucked off to boxing, Jon Jones is inactive and only wants to fight old man past-his-prime Stipe, McGregor is a drunk who's better at talking about fighting than actually signing a fight, Tom Aspinall wants to fight for the belt but Jones wants none of him... I think that's the issue why the cards are lacking that extra spice.

It's that they're lacking big stars and highly marketable people. Adesanya is on a break, Ngannou fucked off to boxing, Jon Jones is inactive and only wants to fight old man past-his-prime Stipe, McGregor is a drunk who's better at talking about fighting than actually signing a fight, Tom Aspinall wants to fight for the belt but Jones wants none of him... I think that's the issue why the cards are lacking that extra spice.

Then that paves the way for these lady athletes to pounce, but the UFC are denying them that opportunity. There's some good prospects out there that they've either missed out on or haven't pulled the trigger with yet.

you want more WMMA?

I'd love more.

But I'd also like more opportunities for women in this sport all round. Not just inside, but outside of the cage too.

Angela Hill, I use as an example, is a tremendous analyst and should be used more prominently. Laura Sanko likewise. I could go on.

Back