Television Netflix - 3 Body Problem

It gets amazing.

Starts slow but gets really good.
Couldn't make it passed the first. It was so very.... Dull... Maybe just the translation.

Definitely heard the other two were better though. Shame the show doesn't match what fellow lovers of the series had wished for.

Couldn't make it passed the first. It was so very.... Dull... Maybe just the translation.

Definitely heard the other two were better though. Shame the show doesn't match what fellow lovers of the series had wished for.
The first is a lot of exposition. Book 2 is great. The translation is best in book 3. Translation in book 2 is rough.

Ya.. this is why I think the show will crash and burn.

Book 1 is just boring. A lot of the “deep Chinese philosophical sci fi” from 2008 when the book came out just doesn’t really work with a modern Netflix audience.

A big point of Book 1 is “super realistic virtual reality headsets!!!”, but audiences have seen this already in recent media like Ready Player One, The Peripheral, and 10 other shows/movies.

Book 2 and 3 would be cool to see on screen with a big budget, but I doubt Season 1 on Netflix draws a big enough audience.

i don't know how they'll be able to properly make the droplet destroying the human fleet. in the book it's one of the best action sequences ever written.

Isn’t this being done by the same cans that ruined GOT? Prob gonna be garbage.

Yep. But a broken clock is right twice a day! Hopefully this is one of them. lmao!

Plus GoT was great until it was forced to speed through the planned ending. If it was allowed to move toward the end at a proper pace like Martin wanted, nobody would complain. So this show has the potential like the early GoT seasons.

Book 1 is just boring. A lot of the “deep Chinese philosophical sci fi” from 2008 when the book came out just doesn’t really work with a modern Netflix audience.

A big point of Book 1 is “super realistic virtual reality headsets!!!”, but audiences have seen this already in recent media like Ready Player One, The Peripheral, and 10 other shows/movies.

Book 2 and 3 would be cool to see on screen with a big budget, but I doubt Season 1 on Netflix draws a big enough audience.

That is probably why this Westernized version is being done. It doesn't really need to bring up any of the Chinese revolution stuff. There are listening stations all over the world and any other scientist could have discovered the signal as well. It shouldn't be that hard to take the events of the first book and flesh them out in a Western location.

Can’t comment on the entire series, but if the first season is just based on book 1, they better change some things around for TV. Not sure who besides diehard fans would want that.

Now I did watch a lot about the series, because a YT guy I watch(Quinn’s ideas) made a bunch of vids on the series. Should have been up my alley, but that writing is just not to my tastes at all.

That is probably why this Westernized version is being done. It doesn't really need to bring up any of the Chinese revolution stuff. There are listening stations all over the world and any other scientist could have discovered the signal as well. It shouldn't be that hard to take the events of the first book and flesh them out in a Western location.

The events, sure, you can put them in Western locations just fine. (I guess we can disregard the entire main setting of the books, and disregard the importance of only one person/country being in contact to the story)

A large part of the appeal of the book though, is that you see a first-encounter sci-fi from the Chinese worldview with their philosophies and parables. First encounter sci fi is nothing new, but the Chinese perspective of it is what drew in readers.

You can’t just take those things and have them expressed by Western actors and expect it to work as well.

Now I did watch a lot about the series, because a YT guy I watch(Quinn’s ideas) made a bunch of vids on the series. Should have been up my alley, but that writing is just not to my tastes at all.

Ya, that’s the thing with this series. As a whole, the ideas are very thought provoking, but plot point for plot point, it is not nearly as interesting until late in the series, and even then it’s heavily reliant on incomprehensible alien technology (the Chinese have a very unique take on pseudoscience/sci fi stuff).

I just don’t see it being great TV.

It's very difficult to watch that guy and not have GOT flashbacks. Can he be anything other than Sir Davos?

I started the Chinese series so I can be disappointed by D&D again when s2 of the American one releases.

Last edited:
Kinda meh honestly 2 episodes in I might bail.

DnD chsnbeling their season 8 greatness so far

just watched the first episode and I loved it. Bout to binge the rest of season one.

watched the entire season, it sucked.
charmless casting, paint by numbers acting, either lacked urgency or was hysterical about it.

the chinese version was actually better, even if it had highschool level cgi.

maybe this book should not have been made a series.

watched the entire season, it sucked.
charmless casting, paint by numbers acting, either lacked urgency or was hysterical about it.

the chinese version was actually better, even if it had highschool level cgi.

maybe this book should not have been made a series.

I'm working on s1 of the Chinese series, should I just stick with that?

Looks cool, I have no idea what the show is about from that trailer. It looks like the matrix with aliens maybe? Sounds cool but netflix has a terrible track record right now.

I just cancelled netflix in favour of subscribing to Starz on my amazon prime account. The jump in quality is insane.

I'm working on s1 of the Chinese series, should I just stick with that?
it's waaaay better at CHINESE character building, ye wenjie is exquisitely done, she's a real human being. but you'll run smack in the obvious limitations of filming a culturally significant story in that specific country where culturally significant stories always are given a state approval. you'll see very subtle hints. and anything non-chinese is a joke in term of character development. they might as well called them white person 1, white person 2....
and it doesn't look as good. But the dialogues are better.

so, mixed bag. i saw that one first and i think it's a better adaptation. it's a chinese story, don't forget.
the netflix one is very underdeveloped, you're just running from scene to scene without a real sense of why.

The Netflix version feels like it’s “Three Body Problem for British children”.

It’s rushed, dumbed down, poorly written and poorly acted.

Back