Rumored Francis Ngannou Might Put MMA on Hold for Another Boxing Match

Could have been a twice in a lifetime with Francis vs Fury. Francis did better against Fury than Conor against Floyd in the ring. Remember that the UFC promoted the living crap out of the May/Mac fight and if they had done the same with Fury vs Francis it could have been just as successful.

No amount of promoting by anyone could make Francis as popular as Conor. Or Fury as Floyd.

No amount of promoting by anyone could make Francis as popular as Conor. Or Fury as Floyd.
But HWs are always a big draw simply because the bigger guys are always a bigger draw. Floyd wasn't an active champion. The draw wouldn't have been just Francis vs Fury. UFC HW champion vs Lineal Boxing HW champion. If they can't promote that successfully then they should just close shop. Doesn't have to be as popular as Conor vs Floyd to be lucrative.

But HWs are always a big draw simply because the bigger guys are always a bigger draw. Floyd wasn't an active champion. The draw wouldn't have been just Francis vs Fury. UFC HW champion vs Lineal Boxing HW champion. If they can't promote that successfully then they should just close shop. Doesn't have to be as popular as Conor vs Floyd to be lucrative.
No, bigger guys are not always a bigger draw, I can name dozens of light fighters way more popular than Francis.

I was disputing the idea that it could be as successful as Floyd vs Conor. I think the most optimistic estimates were 100 - 150 thousand buys. As opposed to 4 million, or whatever. They're promoters, not miracle workers.

I do not think the PFL lost anything, they are not paying him to not fight. It was a stupid ass deal though, no fighter should ever be given those demands and power over another promotion.

All it goes to show is that the UFC did not become a billion dollar promotion by accident. They have guys who 99% of the time make sensible business decisions and if they did to fighters what the PFL gave to Francis, we would not be on this sub right now.

I meant that they've lost in the fact that they bought a guy for a big price tag, let him go lose some of his market value, and now still have to pay the original price for him + pay way more for his opponent if that part of the contract is actually true.

He wasn't some massive draw even when he was in the UFC. Him losing twice in boxing and the most recent by violent one-sided KO is only going to make him less of a draw. Only hardcores watch the PFL. They're not going to suddenly get casuals flocking in for Frank to fight Renan when the they weren't flocking in for the UFC.

Frank seemed like this big draw for a moment there because the Saudi's made a big deal about it and splashed around the enormous amounts of cash for an event they wanted. That event didn't even sell well. The next fight with AJ sold even less.

PFL are going to try and make a big deal about Frank vs Renan if it ever happens, but no one but the hardcores are going to care.

No, bigger guys are not always a bigger draw, I can name dozens of light fighters way more popular than Francis.
Sure there are some guys who are a draw but as a general rule HWs > smaller weights.

the man doesnt even deserve to get paid 30m
lmao
you disrespect boxers who work all their life but instead you love to give it to francis

how many elite boxers has been paid 30m like francis?
the man conned you and everyone

theres like a 500 boxers out there who are more skilled and deserving to be payed 30m
its a disrespect to those boxers
How was I conned?

Could have been a twice in a lifetime with Francis vs Fury. Francis did better against Fury than Conor against Floyd in the ring. Remember that the UFC promoted the living crap out of the May/Mac fight and if they had done the same with Fury vs Francis it could have been just as successful.

Well, the results don't really say much, the UFC can't predict that. It's more about how the fight would sell. Conor vs Floyd had the two biggest PPV stars of all time in a boxing match. Fury has never been a big PPV draw and neither was Francis, so the fights are remotely close in that aspect. And Francis vs Fury bombed sales wise, it did like 67K buys in the US. Even with the UFC pushing it, it wouldn't have give close to the same results. Conor vs Floyd did over 4 million buys. Floyd was massive in the US, Fury was not. It was just a fight that just wouldn't do well in the US.

It was just the right fight, at the right time, with the two perfect guys.

Watch him call out someone like Andy Ruiz Jr. 😂

Lol Bader. Living in a cave?
Still wondering about that cave, so I figured I'd just remind you.

-PFL owns Bellator and are keeping it open as a separate promotion.
-PFL doesn't have "champs" per se, just tournament winners (Ferreira won 2023 tournament, so he's the "champ," as much Delija is the "champ" for not losing ever since he won the 2022 tournament that he beat Ferreira in).
-Bellator DOES have a champ, and it is still Bader, despite losing to Ferreira, because the belt wasn't on the line.
-A fight against Bader would be probably easier to agree to, would be for a belt which would help market further fights, and wouldn't have to work around PFL's season based matchmaking, since that's about to start, so they don't really have time to book one-off big matchups

They were 4.6k. I don't think the UFC has ever put on a ppv with those numbers in the 90's. Francis did pretty well money wise in his two boxing matches. Might as well get another payday before he's out of the fight game completely.

I don't think he'll get another payday out of the Saudis after his performance and PPV numbers.

Unless he takes a huge payout.

Back