News Demetrious Johnson bow and arrow chokes 6’3” 250 lbs Brown Belt Sherdogger at IBJJF Championships

That's kind of my thought too. What is MM's road to success? He certainly couldn't get an arm around Big Show's neck. I doubt even with both arms and leverage he could make an armbar work. He wouldn't be able to lift Big Show's leg to take him down.

Really, as long as the huge opponent can get a hand on the tiny one, you can throw technique out the window. The huge one can just lay on top of the tiny one, and that's the match.
Huh? Of course he could get an arm around his neck lol. He's small but not that small. Don't need a long reach to wrap a choke. Plus short fulcrum chokes exist for a reason lol. DJ could definitely leverage a top armbar, especially in the likely case that BS doesn't know to not extend his arms. But personally, I wouldn't want to do anything but attack the back against someone that big. DJ pretty easily picked up a leg a day finished a knee tap on a hw pan champ. I think he can manage it on someone who doesn't do competitive combat sports.

And lol at just lay on top of them. You still need proper technique to pin someone. Being heavy isn't enough to keep someone that much better than you down in most cases. We even see the guy in the video (a frequent competitor and pan champ) failing to get DJ down even with the use of gi grips.

Striking is the only path to such for big untrained guys. If it goes to the ground them DJ will submit them without a doubt

Last edited:
And you can't even read apparently:

A BJJ match is not a street fight. It's not at all what any of them are talking about when they think they could win an actualfight.

They're dumb as fuck thinking they can fight trained fighters in a street fight, but none of them are saying they'd try and compete against them in a proper setting like in actual martial arts. It's specifically street fights where there aren't those things and they think they can just do whatever they need to to win.

It's dumb because them not knowing how you're supposed to do things is exactly why they'd lose. Shit like "I just need to get close" or "I punch him when he's trying to sub me" is dumb because they in fact don't even know how to do either of those properly. So it's low likelihood and even if it does work it's not as effective as it could be.
You can't read your own posts apparently. You specifically brought up throwing. They were grappling, he had the opportunity to throw or drag MM to the ground and couldn't. And that's a BJJ brown belt. An untrained guy isn't doing shit.

He submitted another big dude the same way before that. Bolo to the back and hit the bow and arrow. Man is built different.

Last edited:
Honestly, I didn't think that a 250 lbs brown belt would lose to a 155 lbs dude. If the big guy had never rolled in his life I'd have understood but in that case dude is a brown belt...
Dude won pans, American nationals, and got bronze at worlds all at brown. Homie is a beast

In a street fight the best bet would be to grapple a guy like MM. Because the average bigger dude is way too slow and way too uncoordinated to land anything on MM in the stand up. Their best chance would be to grab a hold of him so they could use their size and strength advantage to their advantage. But if a 6'3" 250 lbs trained and skilled grappler can't do anything to MM, the average guy isn't doing anything at all. But then we always get the "but in a street fight they can fight dirty or use a weapon, etc. etc." Yes, but so could MM. Dude could literally bite off your scrotum in a moment's notice by just running head first into your crotch while ducking under whatever wild punch you've decided to throw.

MM could use only BJJ to beat most untrained dudes. If he uses all his combat skills it's only that much easier.
Wait, do you think guys actually square up and someone says go in street fights or something?

I mean Mighty Mouse is even better at....actual fighting than grappling (also, why are you highlighting it's with a gi, as if that is more unrealistic than no-gi)
DJ's also such an extreme example to use. He may be the best fighter ever under 155lbs, who even at his current age could probably win any of the belts except 155.

There's a reason why people aren't using Pantoja in these hypotheticals lol.

NBA players are probably the last dudes I'm thinking of that'd be good in a fight lol.

But yeah the difference of a guy playing jiujitsu with a girl on mats is so god damn different from trying to actually murder someone with the pavement outdoors in a brawl. It's an X factor that makes a lot of difference.
This is the same forum that went overblown saying "But Francis would beat AJ in a real fight" after AJ KO'd him, completely unaware that AJ actually has a very well documented street fighting history.

The "real fight" is just mythical shit MMA fans love to throw around. There's real fights and then there's sports.

You can't read your own posts apparently. You specifically brought up throwing. They were grappling, he had the opportunity to throw or drag MM to the ground and couldn't. And that's a BJJ brown belt. An untrained guy isn't doing shit.
I can't believe I seriously need to ask this again to another person but:

Wait, do you think guys actually square up and someone says go in street fights or something?

Still the best place to be. I know it's not a street fight but I've seen plenty of new big athletic rugby lads get choked from there by blue belt girls.

Now if you imagine a male UFC champion....
I'm 6ft3 and 220 lbs and played rugby, soccer and i'm pretty athletic. There are some lazy rugby players that can barely move their feet. But there's no way most 220+lbs of them don't crush DJ, let alone some girl unless it's a big strong girl.

I wrestled before and sparred in kickboxing for quite some time, although i've never had a real fight with a small dude, i sparred and wrestled some. I'm sorry but anything below 160 is kind of a joke strenght wise and they're just too small and feel like a feather. Although i can admit there are some real freaks of nature who are damn strong and DJ would absolutely kill me if he was a tiny big bigger and i'm sure he's an amazing strong athlete who would give much bigger guys alot of trouble, but he's just too small in a real fight vs a 220+ lbs trained guy.

It's kinda funny how everybody's just avoiding the other part of the news which was that DJ got submitted by a 215lb guy.

It's almost like yes, size is an important factor.

I'm 6ft3 and 220 lbs and played rugby, soccer and i'm pretty athletic. There are some lazy rugby players that can barely move their feet. But there's no way most 220+lbs of them don't crush DJ, let alone some girl unless it's a big strong girl.

I wrestled before and sparred in kickboxing for quite some time, although i've never had a real fight with a small dude, i sparred and wrestled some. I'm sorry but anything below 160 is kind of a joke strenght wise and they're just too small and feel like a feather. Although i can admit there are some real freaks of nature who are damn strong and DJ would absolutely kill me if he was a tiny big bigger and i'm sure he's an amazing strong athlete who would give much bigger guys alot of trouble, but he's just too small in a real fight vs a 220+ lbs trained guy.

We're talking about untrained people in the thread.

It's kinda funny how everybody's just avoiding the other part of the news which was that DJ got submitted by a 215lb guy.

It's almost like yes, size is an important factor.

A 215lb brown belt, yes. Not some random dude. Of course it matters when everyone is skilled.

A 215lb brown belt, yes. Not some random dude. Of course it matters when everyone is skilled.
The 215lb guy also won the HW division alongside the open weight.

Colour me shocked that the best big guy won.

Really? That is your reaction? Want to explain why you would get that impression? because I said nothing to that effect.

Really? That is your reaction? Want to explain why you would get that impression? because I said nothing to that effect.
You seriously seem to be under the misimpression that a street fight starts when two people mutually agree to fight, formally square up, and someone says go.

And not when somebody unexpectedly punches you in the face, grabs your shirt in both their hands and hauls you around, shoves you over into a table/chair, or their buddy grabs you from behind.

There's fights and then there's sports. "DJ would never get hit or never caught by a big guy" is some dumb ass shit unless you wanna argue DJ's the one starting the fight. Otherwise like anybody else he's finding out he's in a fight when he's unexpectedly 2 feet away from where he started because someone got mad about something.

You seriously seem to be under the misimpression that a street fight starts when two people mutually agree to fight, formally square up, and someone says go.
I'm not sure where you are getting this. He didn't say anything that gave me that impression.

Not to mention that if anything, the unpredictable nature of street fighting means that speed, reflexes, and training are all extremely important.

Do you really think a 300lb untrained guy could successfully sucker punch a 150lb guy who has dedicated his entire life to not getting hit?

Back