Is KO Power more technique or just lucky genetics ?

Laza cds mma

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Most fighters with low KO Power are basically just slapping their opponents , when Ilia misses his shots he almost does a 180 turn sometimes , Colby never does that , of course that it's both genetics and technique , but i think that technique is more important , any thoughts ?

Technique is much more important, on the other hand, it is genetics that can limit a fighter to double this technique so in the end, even Emanuel Steward won't help you
<BC1>

I'd go with genes. Your ligaments are attached different and muscles can be misleading and you have the faster reflexes.

The speed/technique can come later.

Height reach and weight impacts power the more mass the more power. But theres also an unquantifiable power where some 150 pounders can take out almost 300 pounders(extreme example). This is being quote "heavy handed".

techinique always maximizes power. but there's a genetic component to it. look at floyd and gsp, they are as techinically sound as it gets but they had to rely on decisions more than Wilder or Francis and neither of those guys are nearly as techinically adroit as the two that I mentioned above.

Technique is probably more important

But of course you got those genetic freaks like Ngannou or Deontay Wilder who can throw sloppy punches and still knock people out cold
Even a fat slob like Roy Nelson can do that. It doesn’t make you a genetic freak. They just put everything in their punches

It’s all about technique and how much power you can generate in your hips. Timing also is important
I was the second best shot putter at school. The best was a bit shorter and lighter than me. But then the best javelin thrower was much smaller than either of us. He had no more training than us but was just a good natural athlete. He was good at every sport. Something about his run up and overall movement, rather than raw strength and size. If we were doing a martial art no doubt he would have had more KO power relative to his weight class than us heavier chaps. What are the factors that go into KO power:

Height
Build
Reach
Weight
Hand Size
Foot Movement
Hand Speed
Accuracy
Distance Management
Quick Reactions
Reading and predicting opponent's Movement
Set Up (Feints, KO Shot hidden in Combos, Hand Traps, Baiting a Response, Unpredictability etc.)
(Unexpected) Angles
Confidence in Chin, ie. you're more willing to risk eating one to land one
Technique, building the strike correctly through your whole body from the feet up etc. Although not if you're Shane Carwin.

Of course some of it depends on quality of coaching but a lot of it is quite unquantifiable and comes down to overall athletic ability. Like heart, you have it or you don't.

Most fighters with low KO Power are basically just slapping their opponents , when Ilia misses his shots he almost does a 180 turn sometimes , Colby never does that , of course that it's both genetics and technique , but i think that technique is more important , any thoughts ?
KO are complex. Its about force that a person can generate through accelerating mass and causing a collision. But on the other end of the spectrum, it matters how much force the opponent can withstand before the brain shuts down.
I feel that technique matters more for the person throwing the strike, and genetics matters more for the person receiving it. Some people have granite chins while others seem to get KO’d from a strong gust of wind.

Back