Opinion NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

both sides are guilty of this

Ah' yes, NPR is too "intelligent" for the average listener. That's why their numbers dropping off. They changed their brand to "Intelligence First!". Absolutely nothing to do with turning into a far left activist rag. LOL.

Jackie just straight up be trolling these days. How sad.
Reminds me of those stories after Hillary lost the election . She was too intelligent for America LOL

Reminds me of those stories after Hillary lost the election . She was too intelligent for America LOL
Yep. It had nothing to do with the hate Americans have for her.

Did you ever look at the Dale Bumpers' diary excerpts? He met the Clintons and was appalled by their behavior. He said these 2 should never get close to power. He ended up saving Bill from impeachment and I'll always wonder why.

What, exactly, would people have wanted done for the laptop thing? Right before the election, the media is supposed to run with dubious claims from a stolen or hacked laptop of a candidate's son? And the writer is totally wrong about the Russia story. And the lab leak started out looking like implausible speculation, and that's where it currently stands. It's possible, but the evidence points pretty strongly against it.

Chait gets into more detail on the Russia thing here:

The lab leak is speculation but it isn’t implausible speculation outside of a courtroom of law.

The lab leak is speculation but it isn’t implausible speculation outside of a courtroom of law.
Scott Alexander recently did a really deep dive and concluded a 10% chance. I think that's generous but not unreasonable. So that's a little more precise. I think with very little info from the start, it was possible but very unlikely, and then as more info came in, people revised the estimate of the chances way up. But then over time, it has come back down. The argument from rightists (no logical basis for the issue relating to the left/right spectrum, but for cultural reasons, it has) is that it was undersold initially. That isn't unreasonable, but it's hard to see how it ties to the bigger argument here. Maybe just CTers scoring any mistake of any kind by the MSM as a win?

Last edited:
Scott Alexander recently did a really deep dive and concluded a 10% chance. I think that's generous but not unreasonable. So that's a little more precise. I think with very little info from the start, it was possible but very unlikely, as more info came in, people revised the estimate of the chances way up, but then over time, it has come back down. The argument from rightists (no logical basis for the issue relating to the left/right spectrum, but for cultural reasons, it has) is that it was undersold initially. That isn't unreasonable, but it's hard to see how it ties to the bigger argument here.
It wasn’t undersold, it was attacked as an anti-Chinese conspiracy theory. Now everybody who looks to the origins of COVID has to seriously consider it.

It’s relevant because it’s probably one of the few valid points brought up in the article.

Did you ever look at the Dale Bumpers' diary excerpts? He met the Clintons and was appalled by their behavior. He said these 2 should never get close to power. He ended up saving Bill from impeachment and I'll always wonder why.
I'd never heard of this, but I looked it up now and saw this:

What do you think? Most reports of people who worked with them that I've seen have been extremely positive, but it's not surprising that rightists would try to smear them.

More excerpts here: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/03/dale-bumpers-bill-hillary-clinton-diary/

Even the bad stuff, if legit, doesn't really sound bad.

Last edited:
It wasn’t undersold, it was attacked as an anti-Chinese conspiracy theory. Now everybody who looks to the origins of COVID has to seriously consider it.
I don't really buy that argument. Trump is much more pro-Xi than any other American politician, and China looks bad regardless of whether it was a lab leak or a result of filthy wet markets.

Yeah. Not bad at all.
Are you against critically examining it?
No, but your initial response lets me know where you're standing.

I'd never heard of this, but I looked it up now and saw this:

What do you think? Most reports of people who worked with them that I've seen have been extremely positive, but it's not surprising that rightists would try to smear them.

More excerpts here: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/03/dale-bumpers-bill-hillary-clinton-diary/

Even the bad stuff, if legit, doesn't really sound bad.
I talk about one man and you blow the whistle on rightists trying to smear Clinton. Is Bumpers considered a rightist now?

"Bumpers was critical of their character and political future, dismissing them as “manic ambitious” and “manic obsessed” and alleging that Bill Clinton’s gubernatorial campaign had resorted to “dirty tricks.”

That doesn't sound bad at all. Insert rolleyes.

“I doubt that I’ve ever known anybody as manicly [sic] ambitious for political office, but who simply doesn’t have the judgment or character to deal with it once he gets it.”

Sounds like a major endorsement.

"Bumpers' diary entry from that September day also notes that his wife Betty, after meeting Bill Clinton for the first time, kept insisting that Clinton "had no character" and was essentially a chauvinist."

Sounds like a great man.

"He's bright, his heart's in the right place, he's energetic, he really wants to make a difference, and he cares deeply about his state."

That's flattering. Until you read the rest of the quote:

"He just simply cannot sort it all out when character is required to make the right decision."

Damn. The word character again. It sure comes up often.

"In response to the Mother Jones piece, the University of Arkansas library has pulled the diary from its collection at the request of Bumpers’ son, Brent."

I'm sure it had nothing with the Clintons' image. It's all a pure coincidence.

So I'll believe what he said Ronal Reagan:

"Unquestionably, Ronald Reagan will go down in history as the worst, or close to the worst, president the United States has ever suffered," according to an April 29, 1982, entry.

But I'll dismiss what he said on the Clintons. It's not that bad anyway.

“the most manic obsessive people I have ever known in my life, and perhaps even the most insensitive to everybody else’s feelings. ... Everything centers around them and their ambitions. It is precisely the reason Bill got beat (when he ran for re-election as governor) in 1980. People felt, and correctly, that they were being manipulated.”

Not bad at all. Good people.

He says this as if the only reason this could be true is because of NPR bias but idk if that is the case. A big part of the reason for that has to be the monumental shift to online alternative media which in general seems to skew heavily right wing and which can find and expand its audience via the algorithm in a way that I'm sure NPR struggles to.

I doubt that the shift is merely to right wing mainstream media, its almost certainly a shift to online sources. Boomers were not online at nearly the same rates in 2011 as they are in 2023 when basically everyone is on the internet.
Agreed.

There are just more choices now for commuters and cubicle dwellers.

Satellite radio, podcasts, Spotify, etc.

As the article stated, listeners (and advertisers) have been leaving NPR. I doubt that the traditional NPR listener is leaving to listen to right wing AM radio. Rather, they are driving to work listening to a podcast.

Yeah. Not bad at all.

No, but your initial response lets me know where you're standing.

I talk about one man and you blow the whistle on rightists trying to smear Clinton. Is Bumpers considered a rightist now?

"Bumpers was critical of their character and political future, dismissing them as “manic ambitious” and “manic obsessed” and alleging that Bill Clinton’s gubernatorial campaign had resorted to “dirty tricks.”

That doesn't sound bad at all. Insert rolleyes.

“I doubt that I’ve ever known anybody as manicly [sic] ambitious for political office, but who simply doesn’t have the judgment or character to deal with it once he gets it.”

Sounds like a major endorsement.

"Bumpers' diary entry from that September day also notes that his wife Betty, after meeting Bill Clinton for the first time, kept insisting that Clinton "had no character" and was essentially a chauvinist."

Sounds like a great man.

"He's bright, his heart's in the right place, he's energetic, he really wants to make a difference, and he cares deeply about his state."

That's flattering. Until you read the rest of the quote:

"He just simply cannot sort it all out when character is required to make the right decision."

Damn. The word character again. It sure comes up often.

"In response to the Mother Jones piece, the University of Arkansas library has pulled the diary from its collection at the request of Bumpers’ son, Brent."

I'm sure it had nothing with the Clintons' image. It's all a pure coincidence.

So I'll believe what he said Ronal Reagan:

"Unquestionably, Ronald Reagan will go down in history as the worst, or close to the worst, president the United States has ever suffered," according to an April 29, 1982, entry.

But I'll dismiss what he said on the Clintons. It's not that bad anyway.

“the most manic obsessive people I have ever known in my life, and perhaps even the most insensitive to everybody else’s feelings. ... Everything centers around them and their ambitions. It is precisely the reason Bill got beat (when he ran for re-election as governor) in 1980. People felt, and correctly, that they were being manipulated.”

Not bad at all. Good people.
I feel like this kind of ugly response says a lot about where you stand. You referenced a very obscure story, I looked it up, and saw that A) there were serious questions about accuracy and B) he had a lot of compliments mixed in with the insults (which is what you expect from a long-time personal relationship). Rather than address my good-faith effort to engage your point, you first just do a troll response and then personally attack me. Not sure why you think that that's decent behavior. I guess I should blame myself for taking you seriously or expecting you to think through a position rationally.

I'd also add that the claim that your over-the-top irrational hated for the Clintons has nothing at all to do with false rightist smears is nuts if you really believe it.

Last edited:
I usually enjoy this American life, radiolab has been VERY hit or miss as of late.

The left doesn't have a single outlet to call its own. These unsincere complaints by the right are simply designed to make reactionary news more reactionary. When you control everything complaining about your enemy controls everything is a surefire way to make sure you in fact continue to control everything. Its like what happened those 2 years in the early 2010s when MAYBE you could call MSNBC a smidgen left of center. They took a hard turn right because the right complained and that was that.

NPR is right wing. In lefty spaces people constantly complain about it.

To be fair, that's kind of true, isn't it? Remember she was running against President Camacho.
So Hillary was not elected because she was too intelligent for USA? even though Obama is clearly more intelligent than she is. Don't carry the water here there is no need, she was unpopular for a reason. it's intellectually dishonest (not you but the articles that came out) because they talk about how she just talked policy and Trump was more about culture topics. As if that is too sophisticated for the audience, boring would be the right word. Policies like us having a no-fly zone in Syria. Which is ridiculous. Policy discussion is a good thing. it was the person not the subject.

Was Hillary Clinton Too Smart To Get Elected? can’t help but wonder in retrospect if Hillary Clinton was really too smart to lead given the state of the current U.S. political ecosystem​

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/was-...rt-to-lead-in-this_b_5846fa0ae4b0b261c83427a3

Last edited:

I will have to check that out I remember reading about the secret service agents saying she's a total bitch to everyone.

Yeah… can confirm. I think they’ve probably improved over the last year or so but for a while there they were constantly running stories about gay people of color or talking about how X thing oppressed minorities or trans people. I’m not opposed to these topics but they went off the god damn rails like it was the only thing that mattered. They even got to calling everything racism including covid.

Back