Media Breakdown of why Arman Tsarukyan never tapped to Charles Oliveira's submission attempts

Renner is awesome at breaking down subs and defense. I trained with his pops and Royce back in the early 90s.

His dad Rorion is easily the best instructor I have ever learned from. Same type of intricate explanation and repetition on techniques where you can't fail to pick them up and understand how to apply them.

Rener is awesome to listen to. I’ve got to watch more of his Brazilian jiu jitsu breakdowns.

The funny thing is that when Arman went prone, I legit thought he went limp cause Charles put him out. Meanwhile, that was the tactic that saved him. Risky given a ref could have potentially made that error but it was necessary to prevent the victory anyway so he really had nothing to lose.

there are some dudes that hold on to submission attempts that obviously aren't working because they know the bell is about to ring and they want to look like they won the round.

glad the judges didn't buy it with Oliveira (I thought they were serious sub attempts at the time though)

Rener is awesome to listen to. I’ve got to watch more of his Brazilian jiu jitsu breakdowns.

The funny thing is that when Arman went prone, I legit thought he went limp cause Charles put him out. Meanwhile, that was the tactic that saved him. Risky given a ref could have potentially made that error but it was necessary to prevent the victory anyway so he really had nothing to lose.
he was awesome on Shark Tank

The darce at the end looked gnarly but Arman was never in any danger of tapping, the dude jumped right up. Lol’d when DC said it depends how you score “almost submissions” or some bs.

Why is that BS? A submission that's locked in but doesn't finish still represents an action with intent to end the fight. You might as well say rocking someone with a punch shouldn't score because it doesn't actually put the guy away.

Why is that BS? A submission that's locked in but doesn't finish still represents an action with intent to end the fight. You might as well say rocking someone with a punch shouldn't score because it doesn't actually put the guy away.
A haymaker that misses the target for a few inches also represents an action with the intent to end the fight.

DC sucks at commentating to. He should stick to keep getting fatter and fatter.

Arman did all the right things (including letting his shorts slip off) to defend the subs. He knew that the rear naked was the only one, he could have not defended. He said his main plan was not to let Oliveira take his back. He really did his homework here.

But at the same time getting subbed or put in a submission having to defend is equal or more than getting controlled on the ground.

A haymaker that misses the target for a few inches also represents an action with the intent to end the fight.

DC sucks at commentating to. He should stick to keep getting fatter and fatter.

A locked in sub is very similar to knocking someone down in that they both are near fight ending

A haymaker that misses is more like a sub attempt that is easily escaped or not locked in. Both are dangerous if they landed but didn't.

Meanwhile a locked sub and a power shot that knocks an opponent down actually land and have a clear effect.

I thought he went out 3-4 times during that. He's lucky the ref didn't jump in without giving the limp arm test.

I mean if you gonna score "control" why not a sub that didn't do damage?
They score effective grappling, which a sub attempt is as well as what you call "control". It just so happens that the judges saw more effective grappling + damage from Arman. It was a close 3rd tho, I thought Arman edged it, but no one is scoring "control".

Rocking someone is actually doing damage though. Almost getting a submission hold but doing no damage is like almost taking someone down

It's scored as effective grappling.

Why are so many people on this forum convinced that the judges didn't score these actions for Oliveira?

I mean if you gonna score "control" why not a sub that didn't do damage?

I can see it for control purposes if the majority of the fight were there but Arman had the dominant position much longer than Charles had the darce attempt

Back