Social Put friend on plane, died 12 hours later

Just a reminder to look out for your friends and family with drug addictions and try to help them to quit. Other than that there's nothing else you can do.

Last edited:
Also, to anyone else with substance abuse, now's the time to seek some help. There's definitely a few people who will read this post that fit the criteria. If you do anything other than weed on a weekly basis I'm talking about you.

Op was my little brother and I found his body from an OD the November after he posted this thread. Thank you for the kind words and condolences you all offered him. I think Cole's death took a big toll on his mental health that contributed to his spiral that resulted in the OD. Three weeks before he passed, we had also lost our grandmother. I think that spiraled him most of all.

For 4 years before his passing, I begged and pleaded with my family to intervene and do something. Not only did they not do that, they would often get angry with me for even suggesting that he had a problem and needed help. In the immediate aftermath of his death, my family turned on me and I no longer have a relationship with any of them. We were born into a family of scumfucks who have the "every man for himself" mentality. Not the mentality of being there for each other, like family. Our sister is pretty wealthy, and she knew of our brother's addiction problems and she stood on the sidelines and refused to do anything. While she was paying for luxury vacations and flying around the world and buying luxury goods and million dollar homes, our brother was on death's door from fentanyl addiction, unable to get medication or addiction treatment. I know that what you have all said is basically true, that there is no helping an addict until they are ready to do so. In the aftermath of his death, when collecting his things, I found some paperwork where he had applied for addiction treatment and methadone - he was denied both. He was ready to get clean and quit. He knew he was in a bad spot. He was my "full" brother and she is "only" our "half" sister. So maybe she just didn't care. It certainly seems that way.

In the couple of years before he passed, my brother traveled around the world to a variety of spots - Hong Kong during the protests, Thailand, Jerusalem where he went over into Lebanon and Jordan to visit some historical sites. While he was in Hong Kong, he passed out a survey to gather data on the opinions of Hong Kongers re: the protests. He was in the process of writing a book summarizing his experience there and the data he gathered. Unfortunately he was only 50 pages in before he passed, so its not something that I can finish for him. He was a UCLA graduate and was in law school. Keep that in mind whenever you want to look down your nose at addicts (the proverbial you not you the posters I'm quoting).

He was a kid with a huge heart and a huge brain. We were simply born into the wrong family. Raised by a single father with extreme PTSD and anger problems from being wounded in Vietnam. Both parents extremely mentally ill. We were moved all over the country as kids. Never had stable roots anywhere. We both endured a tremendous amount of trauma in our upbringing, which was the primary driver of his addiction issues.

Hold your loved ones close and don't give up on them sherbros. He was my only brother and "full blood" sibling and I will never get to see or hold him again.

I don't know why but reading this post made me cry. It was a reminder of how kind my brother was to people, to a fault really. Thank you.

We are some of the most anglo looking fuckers around. We must come from the same gene pool as Frank Mir, Tom Aspinall, Weidman and Shia LeBeouf. We have very similar phenotypes.

so sorry for your loss

Op was my little brother and I found his body from an OD the November after he posted this thread. Thank you for the kind words and condolences you all offered him. I think Cole's death took a big toll on his mental health that contributed to his spiral that resulted in the OD. Three weeks before he passed, we had also lost our grandmother. I think that spiraled him most of all.

For 4 years before his passing, I begged and pleaded with my family to intervene and do something. Not only did they not do that, they would often get angry with me for even suggesting that he had a problem and needed help. In the immediate aftermath of his death, my family turned on me and I no longer have a relationship with any of them. We were born into a family of scumfucks who have the "every man for himself" mentality. Not the mentality of being there for each other, like family. Our sister is pretty wealthy, and she knew of our brother's addiction problems and she stood on the sidelines and refused to do anything. While she was paying for luxury vacations and flying around the world and buying luxury goods and million dollar homes, our brother was on death's door from fentanyl addiction, unable to get medication or addiction treatment. I know that what you have all said is basically true, that there is no helping an addict until they are ready to do so. In the aftermath of his death, when collecting his things, I found some paperwork where he had applied for addiction treatment and methadone - he was denied both. He was ready to get clean and quit. He knew he was in a bad spot. He was my "full" brother and she is "only" our "half" sister. So maybe she just didn't care. It certainly seems that way.

In the couple of years before he passed, my brother traveled around the world to a variety of spots - Hong Kong during the protests, Thailand, Jerusalem where he went over into Lebanon and Jordan to visit some historical sites. While he was in Hong Kong, he passed out a survey to gather data on the opinions of Hong Kongers re: the protests. He was in the process of writing a book summarizing his experience there and the data he gathered. Unfortunately he was only 50 pages in before he passed, so its not something that I can finish for him. He was a UCLA graduate and was in law school. Keep that in mind whenever you want to look down your nose at addicts (the proverbial you not you the posters I'm quoting).

He was a kid with a huge heart and a huge brain. We were simply born into the wrong family. Raised by a single father with extreme PTSD and anger problems from being wounded in Vietnam. Both parents extremely mentally ill. We were moved all over the country as kids. Never had stable roots anywhere. We both endured a tremendous amount of trauma in our upbringing, which was the primary driver of his addiction issues.

Hold your loved ones close and don't give up on them sherbros. He was my only brother and "full blood" sibling and I will never get to see or hold him again.

I don't know why but reading this post made me cry. It was a reminder of how kind my brother was to people, to a fault really. Thank you.

We are some of the most anglo looking fuckers around. We must come from the same gene pool as Frank Mir, Tom Aspinall, Weidman and Shia LeBeouf. We have very similar phenotypes.

Very sorry for your loss. Don’t really have any words that will suffice, but you have my sympathies.

so sorry for your loss

Very sorry for your loss. Don’t really have any words that will suffice, but you have my sympathies.

Thanks guys. I used to have reoccurring intrusive thoughts of the memory of going into his place and finding him. I'd wake up every day and it would just play on repeat in my head. That lasted for about 6 months and it doesn't happen anymore, so that's good. What's taking longer for me to cope with is the monstrous response of my former "family" in the aftermath of it all. It was basically as traumatizing as the event itself. I feel that I will likely never be able to establish deep familial-level bonds with anyone ever again.

Last edited:
so you're an old geezer. got it.
You just KNOW that dude is a miserable fuck. Probably has kids that hate him and want nothing to do with him. Probably an ex-wife or three as well.

Thanks guys. I used to have reoccurring intrusive thoughts of the memory of going into his place and finding him. I'd wake up every day and it would just play on repeat in my head. That lasted for about 6 months and it doesn't anymore, so that's good. What's taking longer for me to cope with is the monstrous response of my former "family" in the aftermath of it all. It was basically as traumatizing as the event itself. I feel that I will likely never be able to establish deep familial-level bonds with anyone ever again.
sorry for your loss
I hope your family will realize they lost 2 children by their actions on that day

I hope you have a good support system to help keep you up

one side of my family went through some tough losses in a relatively short period. and the empty feeling of not having a family anymore is crushing. my friends and eventually starting my own family kept me away from boozing my life away and getting in trouble

I hope you have the same

I kind of just remembered out of nowhere that I had introduced him to SD years ago, and that he had an account on here. I found his profile and was just reading through his post history, when I stumbled across this thread from him. I figured this was the appropriate place to provide this update instead of creating a new thread.

Thank you for your condolences. It's been a couple of years, but I still struggle a lot with it. It sucks so fucking bad to see an oncoming train collision from 400 miles out and still being unable to change the outcome.
Survivors guilt is a real thing. A friend of mine killed himself a couple years ago. Not a super close friend, but someone that helped me out during hard times. I knew he was having a hard time but not the severity. I know it's not my fault but I think about him nearly every day, and what I could have said or did sooner. By the time I started making moves to help it was too late. It's fucking sad how often that seems to happen.

Anyway, be well.

sorry for your loss
I hope your family will realize they lost 2 children by their actions on that day

I hope you have a good support system to help keep you up

one side of my family went through some tough losses in a relatively short period. and the empty feeling of not having a family anymore is crushing. my friends and eventually starting my own family kept me away from boozing my life away and getting in trouble

I hope you have the same
I really don't have that, so I created my own support system. The summer after my brother passed, I got two great pyrenees/akita puppies. They've been my reason for living ever since. There were some other events that transpired that I won't share publicly, that have also contributed a great deal to my isolation. Ultimately that was my fault and they were my decisions, but they were decisions made while in a whirlwind of trauma. I also dived in head first into training and campaigning for a fight. And while I didn't really get the social connections I was hoping for in joining a gym, it's been better than nothing and keeps me focused, healthy and working toward a goal.

Last edited:

Sorry for you loss man. Rest in peace Sherbro

I really don't have that, so I created my own support system. The summer after my brother passed, I got two great pyrenees/akita puppies. They've been for reason for living ever since. There were some other events that transpired that I won't share publicly, that have also contributed a great deal to my isolation. Ultimately that was my fault and they were my decisions, but they were decisions made while in a whirlwind of trauma. I also dived in head first into training and campaigning for a fight. And while I didn't really get the social connections I was hoping for in joining a gym, it's been better than nothing and keeps me focused, healthy and working toward a goal.
keep up the good fight homes

keep looking for a connection don't let yourself get too jaded

Damn bro. I'm truly sorry for your loss....
RIP @BloodyPoptart

Thanks guys. I used to have reoccurring intrusive thoughts of the memory of going into his place and finding him. I'd wake up every day and it would just play on repeat in my head. That lasted for about 6 months and it doesn't happen anymore, so that's good. What's taking longer for me to cope with is the monstrous response of my former "family" in the aftermath of it all. It was basically as traumatizing as the event itself. I feel that I will likely never be able to establish deep familial-level bonds with anyone ever again.

Don't be too hard on yourself or your family. Did your brother ask anyone for help? It becomes very difficult for families to help a drug user. They don't know if money they would provide would be used for treatment or to buy more drugs. Are they helping or enabling? Many who use drugs keep searching for a slightly higher high to escape whatever is bothering them. At some point they just go too far and it ends badly.

Don't be too hard on yourself or your family. Did your brother ask anyone for help? It becomes very difficult for families to help a drug user. They don't know if money they would provide would be used for treatment or to buy more drugs. Are they helping or enabling? Many who use drugs keep searching for a slightly higher high to escape whatever is bothering them. At some point they just go too far and it ends badly.
I wasn't asking my family to give him money. I was asking them to come together, intervene and get him into treatment. Not only did they fail to do that, they got angry at me for it. I am absolutely justified in my hatred of them.

My dad was the one regularly sending him cash, despite me telling him about his addictions, which he didn't believe. It was cash my dad sent him that he used to buy the fent that killed him.

I'm going to assume he was the one on the right.

And no, it's not your fault.

If there's one thing I've learned from having a lifelong addict sister, it's that some people can't be saved. Not by others anyway.

This. Grew up with all the drug users in high school. Watched most of them become life long drug addicts with a few of us actually growing up to be adults.

Tried to save my ex but I couldn’t and now she belongs to the streets and my daughter won’t even call her mom.

I can still search all their names on fb and every year I see a new arrest.

Back