Social Put friend on plane, died 12 hours later

Old thread but-
This guy was a loser and a drag on every one around him. Even in death, he made you feel like you were responsible somehow. Fuck him. As I've got older, I've lost all patiences with addicts that place more importance on getting a buzz then being decent to the people around them. I used to feel differently but having seen it over and over again over the years, my position has changed. This guy was never going to change and would have put you through this over and over again.
If you have someone in your life like this, cut ties and move on.

Old thread but-
This guy was a loser and a drag on every one around him. Even in death, he made you feel like you were responsible somehow. Fuck him. As I've got older, I've lost all patiences with addicts that place more importance on getting a buzz then being decent to the people around them. I used to feel differently but having seen it over and over again over the years, my position has changed. This guy was never going to change and would have put you through this over and over again.
You might have missed the update. OP died.

Old thread but-
Wow, read the room dude...

You might have missed the update. OP died.

Ah, man. Missed that as well. Sucks.

In the past it was hard to be very empathetic or sympathetic with the deaths of addicts. After seeing my own brother's struggles and eventual redemption after being saved by my mother and a very good judge, I've become a bit more understanding of the highs and lows of humanity. A former member on here (Banned now I believe) who's name unfortunately escapes me at the moment tore my asshole a new one when I posted about my brother years back. Made me realize that I was a cunt and re-think my position a little bit.

I still vacillate between being disinterested in the plight of the human condition, and my approbation of a redemption. But I lean a bit harder towards optimism nowadays. Certainly get where @Seano is coming from though, and I might say something similar on a bad day.

Don't seek happiness. Seek to be content. Happiness is for moments. Being content is maintainable.

Happiness does more for depression or being a broken person than being content.
Its a happy moment that can show a person that it still exists.

You're right that contentment is the final picture, but some people are just not there yet sir.

Much love brother.

I didn't realize it had turned into a condolences thread.

I have a strong opinion about addicts and what they do to those around them. I think we can all handle that. I thought thats what the thread was about.

You are so right about what addicts do to their family. My cousin just died. 33 years old. His parents and sister are just devastated. I am still in shock. 17 days in the hospital. Rehab like 20 times. His best friend and other friends dying probably made him want to escape more.

Totally fucked.

Old thread but-
Bingo

Op was my little brother and I found his body from an OD the November after he posted this thread. Thank you for the kind words and condolences you all offered him. I think Cole's death took a big toll on his mental health that contributed to his spiral that resulted in the OD. Three weeks before he passed, we had also lost our grandmother. I think that spiraled him most of all.

For 4 years before his passing, I begged and pleaded with my family to intervene and do something. Not only did they not do that, they would often get angry with me for even suggesting that he had a problem and needed help. In the immediate aftermath of his death, my family turned on me and I no longer have a relationship with any of them. We were born into a family of scumfucks who have the "every man for himself" mentality. Not the mentality of being there for each other, like family. Our sister is pretty wealthy, and she knew of our brother's addiction problems and she stood on the sidelines and refused to do anything. While she was paying for luxury vacations and flying around the world and buying luxury goods and million dollar homes, our brother was on death's door from fentanyl addiction, unable to get medication or addiction treatment. I know that what you have all said is basically true, that there is no helping an addict until they are ready to do so. In the aftermath of his death, when collecting his things, I found some paperwork where he had applied for addiction treatment and methadone - he was denied both. He was ready to get clean and quit. He knew he was in a bad spot. He was my "full" brother and she is "only" our "half" sister. So maybe she just didn't care. It certainly seems that way.

In the couple of years before he passed, my brother traveled around the world to a variety of spots - Hong Kong during the protests, Thailand, Jerusalem where he went over into Lebanon and Jordan to visit some historical sites. While he was in Hong Kong, he passed out a survey to gather data on the opinions of Hong Kongers re: the protests. He was in the process of writing a book summarizing his experience there and the data he gathered. Unfortunately he was only 50 pages in before he passed, so its not something that I can finish for him. He was a UCLA graduate and was in law school. Keep that in mind whenever you want to look down your nose at addicts (the proverbial you not you the posters I'm quoting).

He was a kid with a huge heart and a huge brain. We were simply born into the wrong family. Raised by a single father with extreme PTSD and anger problems from being wounded in Vietnam. Both parents extremely mentally ill. We were moved all over the country as kids. Never had stable roots anywhere. We both endured a tremendous amount of trauma in our upbringing, which was the primary driver of his addiction issues.

Hold your loved ones close and don't give up on them sherbros. He was my only brother and "full blood" sibling and I will never get to see or hold him again.

I don't know why but reading this post made me cry. It was a reminder of how kind my brother was to people, to a fault really. Thank you.

We are some of the most anglo looking fuckers around. We must come from the same gene pool as Frank Mir, Tom Aspinall, Weidman and Shia LeBeouf. We have very similar phenotypes.

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like it was a couple of years ago but losing a family member, especially under tragic circumstances, is a wound that never fully heals.

I hope that you are doing well. It sounds like you had a rough childhood and then lost your brother as well. I can only wish that you find happiness and contentment in your life.

Fucking doing shrooms and heroin? Wtf? Shrooms aren’t exactly addictive. It can’t be that he had a shroom problem.
The dude just couldn’t hack it, obviously. He wanted to be as fucked up as possible all of the time. You can’t. It’s that simple. It’s his own fault. I mean, he looks like he’s 35 - 40 in the picture. Your getting as fucked yo as possible days should end at 30 at the latest.

Now, you can still get fucked up. Just not as fucked up as possible. And not when you work the next day.

I remember when this thread was first posted, shocked at this news. Both of you sound like totally nice guys, the kind the world needs more of. Sad.

I lost my sis, mainly to alcohol addiction and I know how helpless it feels to not be able to do anything about it. I had the brother who wouldn't try more for her either and it's something I never really forgave.

I do feel survivors guilt over my sister.

Fucking doing shrooms and heroin? Wtf? Shrooms aren’t exactly addictive. It can’t be that he had a shroom problem.
The dude just couldn’t hack it, obviously. He wanted to be as fucked up as possible all of the time. You can’t. It’s that simple. It’s his own fault. I mean, he looks like he’s 35 - 40 in the picture. Your getting as fucked yo as possible days should end at 30 at the latest.

Now, you can still get fucked up. Just not as fucked up as possible. And not when you work the next day.
I thought he looked pretty young but that's just probably because i'm old. Again, they both sound like wonderful guys. I have observed that the most sensitive amongst us usually have these problems the worst, not always but quite often. My theory is they are such decent, kind souls that they can't hack some of the shit we all do around them and to them.

Were there motherfucking snakes on said motherfucking plane?

If so, then that may have contributed to his demise.

Also need to read the rest of the thread. This sucks. :(
True. But I was agreeing with his stance re:OP that blaming yourself for the choice junkies make is asinine. And that your personal well being is far more important than allowing them to drag you into their turmoil

Boise airport before he left

RIP Cole K.
*** Any responses appreciated. It’s sherdog. Be honest. but this just happened and I’m just trying to think of every angle.

My friend Cole had off-and-on substance abuse issues, he once ODd in my living room when we’d been getting high with friends, he used IV, and I didn’t. Cole was 24. We got him help, he was fine. Months later he was cleaned up, working a good job. Cole was homeless in Boise, ID. His parents were good people but kicked him out.

4 months after getting a job and saving money for a place, he gets fired for showing up to work after drinking. They fired him and told his probation officer. He was on 1 year probation. That was Friday.

Sunday afternoon he calls me and says he’s in my living room and needs a ride to the greyhound, this is unusual, he never goes into my house without calling first. I show up, he tells me his woes, we go to his moms a mile away, he gets his things, we come back to my place. he sleeps on my couch for 4-5 hours, I’m thinking he’ll sleep it off. The whole time I rationalize the situation and tell him that even if he violates his probation he’s gonna do maybe a week in jail. He’s depressed and determined to leave. Tells me he has to leave. We watch the bob Dylan documentary No Direction Home and drink box wine, he says he’s never coming back to Boise.

***Cole had been smoking weed, doing shrooms, and get hitting the vein from Friday after he got fired to Saturday night before he showed up to my place on Sunday.

At this point he seems set on going and I tell him “sometimes more is lost by inaction than the wrong action”, I think it’s Confucian and might console him.
He says “yeah Confucius’ dead dog?”

He buys a ticket to New York on my phone, I drive him to the airport, he asks me to play “It’s alright Ma I’m only bleeding”.

He gets on a plane, 15 hours later he dies in Bushwick at his old spot, they find him in my blue Columbia in a cafe bathroom. His mom called me at 6pm today asking if I knew anything about the lead-up to his departure.

Is this my fault?

No.

You can't make someone quit drinking or drugs. They either get there on their own or they don't.

You were his friend. A lot if addicts don't have a good friend like you.

I say this as someone with quite a bit of experience with this type of thing.

True. But I was agreeing with his stance re:OP that blaming yourself for the choice junkies make is asinine. And that your personal well being is far more important than allowing them to drag you into their turmoil
I agree. It obviously also took a toll on the OP. While I wouldn't blame it on his friend who OD'd, it was definitely one of the factors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brady12Gronk87
Back