How good was Fedor really? Was he truly elite?

Fedor probably has the fastest hands at HW, maybe outside of his brother. Even against Rampage he was fast as fuck. Problem is that today's HWs are much bigger than they was back then. With a proper diet, Fedor could be a MW. Same with DC. Shows how great both really were to dominate at HW like they did, to a lesser extent with DC. I think if Fedor came up in today's game, he would still be elite, though like I said, would be a MW or LHW with a proper diet. That speed translates across dimensions and galaxies.

Fedor probably has the fastest hands at HW, maybe outside of his brother. Even against Rampage he was fast as fuck. Problem is that today's HWs are much bigger than they was back then. With a proper diet, Fedor could be a MW. Same with DC. Shows how great both really were to dominate at HW like they did, to a lesser extent with DC. I think if Fedor came up in today's game, he would still be elite, though like I said, would be a MW or LHW with a proper diet. That speed translates across dimensions and galaxies.

Rampage was just extra slow

He fought people like Semmy, Sylvia, Fujita, Arlovski, Hunt, Herring, Rogers etc plus of course Choi.

I tend to think its not just size which is the issue in terms of who can do well at HW, I would say often the smaller men who've done well at HW tend to have strong finishing ability and effective defence(or a great chin, or both). HW generally I think has the biggest jump in power you potentially face in any division relative to the one below and I think that tends to mean its easier to get away with a style depending more on workrate at LHW.

I would say as well though that when your a smaller fighter it means dealing with decline is likely to be harder.

Last edited:
Fedor provided entertainment in Pride

When he faced a 40 year old MW in Dan Henderson he was knocked out cold.

Imagine any HW getting knocked out by a MW in their 40s

Thats all you need to know.
Exactly, Fedor could not beat the top well rounded guys.

He beat Babalu, Arona, Schilt, Herring, Nog x 2, Coleman x 2, Randleman, Mirko, Sylvia, Hunt, Arlovski.

If that's not elite then nothing is.

This guy gets it.

Fedor is always in the conversation. I don't care if someone ranks him #1, 2 or 3...

I personally think Champion Run Cain would have beaten him (or any champion of any era) and Fedor vs Champion Run JDS would have probably resulted in both fighters bleeding out.

Always Elite Fedor.

People making fun of Fedor rarely mentions how many fights he had. The man is 8-1 (I think) against UFC Champions and had almost 50 fights.

How many fights did Jones, DC, MM, and GSP have? I'm not saying they may not be above Fedor, but when you fight that many times you will lose.

Rogers was undefeated when Fedor beat him and had just knocked out arlovski. Lol @ acting like that wasn't a good win.
10-0 against who? He beat Arlovski in 22 seconds with AA's chin = a hard boiled egg that your mom cracked for you and put in your lunch. He beat James Thompson who people have hear of but we all know isn't very good. Who else had he fought? 8 absolute nobodies but he is fighting the "World Champion"?

You are really claiming Brett Rogers belonged in the ring with a fighter the level of Fedor? Stipe fought top level opponents his entire career and Fedor has never fougth a string of top competition and had success. That is what IMO differentiates between the two.

Every MMA fighter has deep respect for Fedor.
Legends like GSP, Khabib, Jon Jones talk with respect about him.

But some fat oily losers on an MMA forum, that can't tie their shoe laces because of their fat gut and live with their parents say Fedor's not that great, so i guess it's settled.

10-0 against who? He beat Arlovski in 22 seconds with AA's chin = a hard boiled egg that your mom cracked for you and put in your lunch. He beat James Thompson who people have hear of but we all know isn't very good. Who else had he fought? 8 absolute nobodies but he is fighting the "World Champion"?

You are really claiming Brett Rogers belonged in the ring with a fighter the level of Fedor? Stipe fought top level opponents his entire career and Fedor has never fougth a string of top competition and had success. That is what IMO differentiates between the two.
Never fought a string of top competition and had success?? Lol pure insane cope. He went undefeated in the most stacked heavyweight division in MMA history.

If you take Fedor's prime and puts him against the top heavyweights today, he's still a top 10.

Who else from his era can you say that about?

Every 10 years the fighters get bigger and better, so you have to look at historical legends through the lens of their respective eras.

Imagine knocking on Royce Gracie because he couldn't strike?

Anyone who hates on Fedor is a clown.

HEAVYWEIGHT GOAT

How good was Fedor?

I have a hard time genuinely believing that Fedor is truly elite and up there with goats such as

GSP
Anderson
MM
Jones
DC

Fedors record was too padded he fought in such a different weak era and when Fedor came up against semi modern MMA fighters he got beaten badly and could not hang

Some say that he could not hang because of his age. I do not believe this one bit. The real issue was he came up against modern MMA fighters. Isn't is such a coincidence he only started to lose once he faced true elite HWs and all of a sudden he was "out of his prime."

Anderson wrecked Hendo, Fedor a HW got wrecked by Hendo.

Werdum stopped Fedor

And I believe prime Fedor would lose to

Poatan
Anderson
Cain
DC
Aspinal
Gane
Nganu
Black Beast
Jones
Overseen

Fedor has such a padded record and had huge holes in his game

Fedor had poor Boxing, poor fight IQ, poor bottom game. Jones would take him down and elbow him to oblivion.

Fedor was a good fighter but should not be compared to the true elite.

Fedor's myth is more folk lore and myth. His best wins are Cro cop and Nog. Cro cop and nog are good but have glaring holes in their game.
Fantastic trolling. You got 13 pages of reactions and no yellow card.
FoB1Lnt.gif

Never fought a string of top competition and had success?? Lol pure insane cope. He went undefeated in the most stacked heavyweight division in MMA history.
You are either intentionally skipping the keyword or deliberately doing so. Perhaps you have jumped in without having seen my original post in this thread or my many replies.
Stipe at age 33 fought in Consecutive fights: Hunt, Arlovski, Wedrum, Overeem, JDS & Francis. All KO/TKO wins except for a 5 round domination over Frank.

At 33 Fedor fought Werdum, Bigfoot & MW Dan Henderson. That was the first time he fought a string of top ranked HWs consecutively and Hendo was even a HW. He never did that in RINGS which was run by his own team wasn't it?

His Pride HW run to the title was Schilt, Herring & Big Nog. Then 4 fights against middling guys and then 40 year old Coleman, Randelman. Throw in a Japanese guy and then a NC with Nog and a rematch with Nog. Then a Can, Cro cop, Zulu (Can with a cool name) then 42 year old Coleman.

I can keep going but I need to move on with my life. Fedor never fought at the highest level CONSECUTIVELY. He always had favourable matchmaking and or a bunch of cans added to his calendar. You can't actually ignore that he fought a lot of Cans. He also never fought consecutively against top level completion. Show me a consecutive string equal to what Stipe did.

You are either intentionally skipping the keyword or deliberately doing so. Perhaps you have jumped in without having seen my original post in this thread or my many replies.
Stipe at age 33 fought in Consecutive fights: Hunt, Arlovski, Wedrum, Overeem, JDS & Francis. All KO/TKO wins except for a 5 round domination over Frank.

At 33 Fedor fought Werdum, Bigfoot & MW Dan Henderson. That was the first time he fought a string of top ranked HWs consecutively and Hendo was even a HW. He never did that in RINGS which was run by his own team wasn't it?

His Pride HW run to the title was Schilt, Herring & Big Nog. Then 4 fights against middling guys and then 40 year old Coleman, Randelman. Throw in a Japanese guy and then a NC with Nog and a rematch with Nog. Then a Can, Cro cop, Zulu (Can with a cool name) then 42 year old Coleman.

I can keep going but I need to move on with my life. Fedor never fought at the highest level CONSECUTIVELY. He always had favourable matchmaking and or a bunch of cans added to his calendar. You can't actually ignore that he fought a lot of Cans. He also never fought consecutively against top level completion. Show me a consecutive string equal to what Stipe did.
Fedor's career started earlier than Stipe's. This isn't hard dude. You have to evaluate fighter age within the context of when they started and how long they were in it. You can't just say "look at who these guys fought at X age". If you want to compare who they fought at 33 then you also need to look at who they fought at 23. At 23 years old Stipe was 4 years away from his first pro fight. At 23 years old Fedor was fighting Takada, Arona, Kohsakha and others. It's so unbelievably brain dead to say "look at who both these guys fought at 33" and then completely failing to mention when their careers started.

Last edited:
Chael Sonnen said Fedor hit him harder than anyone has ever hit him. And this was near the end of his career when Fedor was much slower and beat up.

Fedor schooled CroCop in his prime.

And his specialty was grappling to begin with.
Fedor wasn't much slower against Chael though. His hand speed was as fast as ever.

Don't sit here and try and BS people into saying Fedor wasn't still fast as fuck here. It's all everybody commented on after the fight.

Prime Fedor would be HW champ today, HW MMA has not evolved.
The current HW champion is Jon Jones and the interim champion is Tom Aspinall.

So that's about the most asinine statement of all time.

I would argue when your looking at fighters careers as well Japanese MMA vs the modern day can be a bit swings and roundabouts.

In Japan fighters tended to have some gimmie or mid level matches after they'd hit the top BUT they tended to hit the top much faster, a lot of modern MMA fighters they can end up spending 3-4 years in smaller orgs fighting lower level opponents. In Japan fighters were often facing higher level comp much earlier in their careers.

Added to that of course the fighters in Japan tended to stay significantly more active during their peak years and ultimately KOing Nagata is better than sitting on your ass doing nothing.
Now do Pereira.

Back