Best base for MMA imo(boxing)

ummm wrong. What boxers have you seen with MMA titles around their waist? none.

If the top boxers in the world dedicated 2-3 years to MMA and cross trained, most of them would do very very well in the MMA world. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all of these guys become as dominant as A. Silva in their divisions (especially the heavier ones).

I disagree with everyone in this thread.

The best base for MMA is obviously football.

Look at the NFL, the players get paid millions and millions of dollars.
They are incredible athletes; I mean have you seen DeMarcus Ware, the strength, speed, and size he possesses are unlike anything you've seen in MMA.

Pros of football as a base.
Size
Speed
Strength
Get used to being hit
Get used to hitting people
Lots of money
Lots of fame
If you lose you have 52 other people to blame for your lose.

Cons
none

I hope this ends all these silly arguments over what is the best base for MMA.
Because it's obvious that once MMA fighters get paid as much as NFL athletes, we will see the true future of the sport.

Lol, nice

I think without a doubt it would be Boxing or other striking arts if i were to pick any single style to start with. The reason why i pick that isn't becasue a boxer by itself would beat a wrestler or BJJer becasue they wouldn't. It's the fact that they have something that you can't teach most people and that's being a fighter and having a fighters heart. This is something i see lacking with so many top grapplers i see coming into MMA and other grapplers in mma. Is this to say that all grapplers don't have heart of course not, but it's impossible to make it to the elite level in boxing without at least a very soild heart. Another thing that gets weeded out in boxing is weak chins. you can make it all the way to the upper levels in the UFC before you truely get your chin tested if your a soild fighter. I think think of many top level fighters in MMA that are either scared to get hit or have weak chins.

The thing is No top boxer would ever want to come to MMA becasue they get paid 10-100 times more to box. Of course as mma grows and boxing dies off we'll see more true fighters in mma

I get your point, and I think that you are right, I think that it's the better way to start and have a base for MMA, because you are most test that in another discipline, heart, chin, etc. But you have to learn all the things out to became a great MMA fighter and something that nobody it's going to teach you Talent.

I disagree with everyone in this thread.

The best base for MMA is obviously football.

Look at the NFL, the players get paid millions and millions of dollars.
They are incredible athletes; I mean have you seen DeMarcus Ware, the strength, speed, and size he possesses are unlike anything you've seen in MMA.

Pros of football as a base.
Size
Speed
Strength
Get used to being hit
Get used to hitting people
Lots of money
Lots of fame
If you lose you have 52 other people to blame for your lose.

Cons
none

I hope this ends all these silly arguments over what is the best base for MMA.
Because it's obvious that once MMA fighters get paid as much as NFL athletes, we will see the true future of the sport.

Yeah, like Bob Sapp:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/giJxnhvK2js&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/giJxnhvK2js&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lol

p.s traditional boxing footwork is terrible for mma.

Yeah because when great black Boxers like Muhammad Ali and Roy Jones Jr show excellent footwork in Boxing you think that "it is too black for MMA" right?

Idiot. You obviously never trained bro.

ummm wrong. What boxers have you seen with MMA titles around their waist? none.

Yeah because Boxers are busy winning titles in Boxing along with millions per fight.

Another retard here.

Do remember that Igor Vovchanchyn who was a Boixer won 21 fights in a row and won the World Vale Tudo Championship.

A Boxer just won a MMA title last month you idiot. Lavar "Big" Johnson won the War Gods Heavy Weight title by Knock out.

Hey that is a start.

Tyson would have no MMA experience and therefore would be worried about the take down which would totally throw his striking game off or Tyson wouldn't be worried about going to the ground which in turn would make the take down even easier. Because power and speed don't mean as much as skill.
And when has Igor ever won a fight against a top ten fighter? The answer is never.

You think Tyson would freeze up and be afraid of takedowns? If you watch Tyson's old fights, he wouldn't stand there and let you just do what ever to him.

He hated taller fighters clinching with him because they knew they can lay all thgeir weight on him, that is why he would just go in and try to rip your head out.

You don't know if he would be afraid of takedowns or not give a fuck. To base a argument of that is ignorant.

And we are speculating on what would had happened back in the old days of MMA when it bwas style vs style. If Tyson was in his prime today (remember he was only 20 when he won the HW title) he would have every MMA camp in the world tryiong to train him for bragging rights. At age 20 when you are the master of your craft like Boxing are you going to tell me that you cannot adapt to become a great MMA fighter?

Now this is where you start getting retarded:

Because power and speed don't mean as much as skill.

UHHH Speed and power makes skills more potent. And are you saying Tyson didn't have skills?

LOL. Are you a inbred retard? Or are you 10 years old?

And here is when you really own yourself:

And when has Igor ever won a fight against a top ten fighter? The answer is never.

So Mark Kerr was not a top ten fighter? He was the most dominant fighter at the time idiot. And Igor was fighting during the development of MMA, he was still beating the best of that era.

FAILED BEYOND REPAIR!!!

I think without a doubt it would be Boxing or other striking arts if i were to pick any single style to start with. The reason why i pick that isn't becasue a boxer by itself would beat a wrestler or BJJer becasue they wouldn't. It's the fact that they have something that you can't teach most people and that's being a fighter and having a fighters heart. This is something i see lacking with so many top grapplers i see coming into MMA and other grapplers in mma. Is this to say that all grapplers don't have heart of course not, but it's impossible to make it to the elite level in boxing without at least a very soild heart. Another thing that gets weeded out in boxing is weak chins. you can make it all the way to the upper levels in the UFC before you truely get your chin tested if your a soild fighter. I think think of many top level fighters in MMA that are either scared to get hit or have weak chins.

The thing is No top boxer would ever want to come to MMA becasue they get paid 10-100 times more to box. Of course as mma grows and boxing dies off we'll see more true fighters in mma

absolutely the most epic fail ever.

absolutely the most epic fail ever.

What TS is saying is that Boxers are used to getting hit and they don't care so they hjave the heart to go into a fight. Many boxers have come from a street fighting mentally as well as MMA strikers with a strong striking base.

Wanderlei Silva, Marco Ruas, Bas Rutten all usede nto get into street fights. Wrestlers especially the ones from the U.S. may have never gotten hit in the face and history will show that many of the best wrestlers in MMA have gone through a long losing streak after getting knock out.

With BJJ grapplers, many of them come from Brazil and grew up street fighting while others don't adapt well into MMA because they cannot deal with getting hit.

Good, now...imagine Chuck's take down defense on Floyd. He would reign supreme in every division from 135-155, much like he did in boxing.

END OF BOXING VS MMA IN THIS THREAD

kicks change everything.........so.....maybe not

kicks change everything.........so.....maybe not

Not everyone kicks. But let me guess, you a geek who kicks the heavy bag everyday and think that is all you need to win right?

I say ballet is the best base (mostly for the alliteration).

Can't beat those HKs.

325081a_tn220x220.jpg

ac_qingming_riverside_liu_yinghong_as_zhang_zeduan_white_kick_500.jpg

Back