Shinya Aoki or Demian Maia

Well I've only seen Aoki compete twice in ADCC against two of the best in the world. Didn't go too well for him, but again that's against the very best. Hard to say. Aoki is very good no-gi but I think he's better in the gi. He armbar'd Koji Komuro in like 10 seconds or something.

Going by pure accomplishments though, you'd have to give it to Maia. I think Aoki is better in MMA though.

Demian Maia is so much better it's just silly to argue about it.

Maia by a landslide. Aoki is slick and uses his jits well in MMA but pure grappling with or without the Gi, Maia is in the top few in the world p4p. Aoki isnt top 10.

Well I think it would be kindof stupid to say he's not in the top 10, or even attempt to put a rank on him at all. To my knowledge he's never even competed in BJJ outside of Japan, not counting ADCC where he lost to Roger and Marcelo. Roger being about 70 pounds heavyer.

I did see him armbar Koji Komuro pretty quickly in the gi.

Well I think it would be kindof stupid to say he's not in the top 10, or even attempt to put a rank on him at all. To my knowledge he's never even competed in BJJ outside of Japan, not counting ADCC where he lost to Roger and Marcelo. Roger being about 70 pounds heavyer.

I did see him armbar Koji Komuro pretty quickly in the gi.

I don't care how you want to try to rationalize it, but there is absolutely no way in hell you could possibly justify Aoki being on a top 10 BJJ list. Not even for his weight. not for Gi, not for no-g, not in a box, not with a fox.

Maia by an inconceivable amount

Maia submits blackbelts.

I don't care how you want to try to rationalize it, but there is absolutely no way in hell you could possibly justify Aoki being on a top 10 BJJ list. Not even for his weight. not for Gi, not for no-g, not in a box, not with a fox.

Well since you didn't bother to read what I wrote, I suppose I'll just say it again. I didn't say he was in the top ten of anything. I said it's stupid to even rank Aoki anywhere because he's not even active in BJJ. He's an MMA fighter. He has competed a few times in BJJ and I think once in Adcc a few years back. But he's bever focused on BJJ competition enough to even say either way.

Well since you didn't bother to read what I wrote, I suppose I'll just say it again. I didn't say he was in the top ten of anything. I said it's stupid to even rank Aoki anywhere because he's not even active in BJJ. He's an MMA fighter. He has competed a few times in BJJ and I think once in Adcc a few years back. But he's bever focused on BJJ competition enough to even say either way.

maybe that's what you meant to say, but this is what you wrote

Well I think it would be kindof stupid to say he's not in the top 10, or even attempt to put a rank on him at all.

Read that like English is your first language and pretend I can't read your mind for a second. I replied to what you wrote, which clearly implied he could be in the top 10 or maybe 20, or some level of recognition at least in Japan where I'm assuming he has won competitions.

i now know that's not what you meant to say, but next time choose your words more carefully in the first place.

in applying grappling to MMA, it's a toss-up.

In pure BJJ, it's Maia all the way.

Even in MMA, until Maia got knocked out by Marquardt he looked downright scary. His throw to topside triangle against Sonnen looked like something out of a video game.

Read that like English is your first language and pretend I can't read your mind for a second. I replied to what you wrote, which clearly implied he could be in the top 10 or maybe 20, or some level of recognition at least in Japan where I'm assuming he has won competitions.

No that didn't clearly imply anthing of the sort. I said it's stupid to say he's not in the top ten, OR to rank him anywhere for that matter. How is that not clear. Spounting off something like "he's nowhere near the top ten" is kinda stupid because it implys that's he's somehow inferior to all the other competitors, when....... he hasn't even competed enough for us to even know that for sure. That's what I meant. I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

i now know that's not what you meant to say, but next time choose your words more carefully in the first place.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to keep that in mind next time for you.

He'd probably win with a bat, or possibly a hat. He's had luck with the pants, when he wears them I dance, and dream about France.

-on behalf of the "RainbowWagon." We're over in the wasteland, come on over.

P.S. We like your posts Mikey. Always technical.

Maia by an inconceivable amount

Maia submits blackbelts.

Aoki has also submitted black belts.

In gi-bjj? Maia is better.

In MMA? It isn't even close. Maia isn't half the fighter Aoki is. It's ridiculous that Maia was ever ranked top 10. (Let alone to still be top 10!)

i dunno. I like Aoki but right now he still needs to develop his game further. Especially his top game.

maia, i'm sure, is amazing but people are overrating him. Aoki has shown excellent bjj against JZ, Eddie, and Joachim (lightweights who are actually serious all around fighters). Who in the fuck has maia beaten? McDonald?? Sonnen (Team quest 's bjj sucks just look at soszyinski and warren), Quarry??

Look at maia's debut, it's against some dude who is my size (I am a bantamweight and 170 cms) and maia mounted him and got swept. He also buttefly swept some guy and the dude verbally tapped because he got injured and maia gets up and goes bananas.

Maia is a world champion in bjj and has won ADCC. But Aoki's bjj is great: he has beaten top flight competition with his bjj. Maia hasn't.

Maia, for gi, no-gi and MMA. This isn't even close.

Back