Atlanta BJJ

defense

White Belt
Reaction score
I've trained in MMA for about a year on and off. I've learned the basic movements and submissions of BJJ but as you could expect from a year of on again and off again No-Gi training I'm not very fluid and still consider myself a beginner.

I'm about to move to Atlanta, am going to be in a tight financial situation but want to learn BJJ. Either Gi or No-Gi would be fine with me, I'm really just hungry to learn the art. I have other responsibilities so training 3 or 4 times a week for a couple of hours would be ideal.

Does anyone have suggestions of inexpensive yet reputible gyms where I can learn the BJJ starting at the basics?

Paul Creighton MMA, great guy and a Renzo Black Belt!

Any idea on the prices?
I hate to say it but price really is a driving factor, I'd rather take some classes under a blue or purple belt and learn the basics while saving some money...

If you're gonna be in the Marietta area, Iron Clutch is your best bet imo. Rates are cheaper than others in the area, and our gi instructor Ethan Garrison just won his division at Pan Ams for the second year in a row. The gym has a great atmosphere, cool training partners, and we've been doing quite well on the local circuit lately. If it is closer, you should also check out Roberto Traven.

I'm too lazy to google links for you, but you may also want to look at Coffey BJJ, Ascension MMA, Unit 2 Fitness, and X3.

(edit: hypered school website)

Alliance. It is one of the best gyms in the country. It will most likely not be the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. Find a way to come up with the extra cash to pay for world class comprehension.

To be completely frank, if price is a major factor for you, I honestly can't think of a single place that's going to be charging you anything less than $75 (that's the lowest I've ever had to pay and it was at Ascension in Roswell, student discount). Most other places I've trained at charge somewhere in the range of $90-120ish. But hey, if there's a legit gym out there in Atlanta that charges less, please let us know!

Having said that, perhaps you should consider a judo school. Atlanta Judo Midtown charges $75 a month but if a friend joins with you, it's only $50 each. For basics, Judo and BJJ are fairly interchangeable.

I don't know if you're in college, but Georgia State's BJJ club is free so perhaps you could workout a deal with them. Again, a good place if you're just learning the basics. Look them up on Facebook.

No offense, but I kind of chuckled when the first post after he made it clear that he was broke was "Go to Alliance".

No offense, but I kind of chuckled when the first post after he made it clear that he was broke was "Go to Alliance".

They may be more expense than the other options, but you get what you pay for. Heck they may be $100 more than the cheapest option, but $100 a month is not that hard to come up with. Odds are you can change your budget around to find the money, but it would be worth it to find a way if you are interested in learning bjj.

I am driving from Knoxville, TN to Alliance every Saturday and paying a $40 mat fee in my preparation for the Mundials. Plus I am going to hit 3-5 training sessions of their Mundial camp depending on how many days I can get away from my business at $40 a pop. You are just not going to find the level and amount of talent under one roof anywhere else that you will find at Alliance. Plus you have one of the best instructors in the game at Alliance.

If you want to be good Alliance is a good economical decision. If you just want to roll around for some fun and to get a work out in and being good is a secondary concern then Alliance is probably not the best economical decision.

Knuckle Up Fitness has 8th degree black belt Ricardo Murgel, but I have no idea about the prices there.

I don't know if you're in college, but Georgia State's BJJ club is free so perhaps you could workout a deal with them. Again, a good place if you're just learning the basics. Look them up on Facebook.

Oh snap! I didnt know there was a BJJ club at GSU. How many people usually shows up?

I wouldn't go knuckle up just because of their shady business practice. I'm a former member and they closed my gym and then gave my contract away to another gym. I tried canceling my contract because I did not sign up at this other place, but they avoid you like the plague. Don't sign anything that knuckle up has.

Speaking of Georgia College BJJ clubs, Kennesaw State University has a grappling club. The fees are extremely low and the club pays your competition fees.

Don't have much experience to go on, but I go to American top team Atlanta and I dig it. Prob not the cheapest, $115 for bjj or muay thia, or $150 for both+mma, but the people are cool and jucao is a good instructor IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Anywhere cheaper than $100 probably isn't a very credible BJJ school, most tend to charge higher but you might be able to find a not-every-day place with about that rate. I, for one, second the Judo club angle. You'll get great stand-up work for a lower price while you get yourself established and save some money for a really quality BJJ school.

You have to remember too, gyms fit personalities, and no two are alike. No one can argue that Alliance is the #1 quality choice in Atlanta. At the same time, their workouts are very intense and might not be the right choice for someone who wants fun after work--it's serious business. Or there might be a gym that's $80 with a good black belt, but you're wanting a stronger presence rather than guys just joking around.

The bottom line is, you have to try the gyms out and then think about price. See if you can cut out any little expenses, I became the master of scrounging. Pack lunches instead of buying food at work; say no to starbucks and buy only local grocery store brand items (when quality equivalent). I sold my tv, cut out most of my dining out, buy everyday clothes from consignment stores (although I really don't buy since I get free tournament Tshirts allllll theeee tiiiimmme), coupons out the ass...etc. That extra 20-50 bucks pops up out of no where, and that will free you up to pick your gym by quality and not price.

I wouldn't go knuckle up just because of their shady business practice. I'm a former member and they closed my gym and then gave my contract away to another gym. I tried canceling my contract because I did not sign up at this other place, but they avoid you like the plague. Don't sign anything that knuckle up has.

I've been a member at Knuckleup for over 5 years and I've never experienced any shady practices.
There is a new owner now that has changed a lot of things so maybe your experience was with the previous owners?

Anyway, for the TS, inlove training at Knuckelup, but the monthly price is probably on par with everyone else, anywhere from $80-$120 per month, but don't quote me on that.
Stop by and chcknit out...send me a PM if you'd like more info or if you'd like to go with me sonincan introduce you to everyone and show you around.

Back when I was applying to undergraduate schools, I saw that Georgia Southern had a BJJ or Judo club. Not sure how far they are from Atlanta or if you are moving for college etc. Although this was in like early 2005. If you want basics for free I recommend a college club, you can certainly learn from a good blue or purple belt. The Judo club sounds nice as well. Myrtle Beach, SC rates are cheap with only two black belts in the area (one Machado and one Relson), 60 bucks a month for unlimited bjj at my school. 90 for unlimited bjj + boxing

Back