Low carb vs Carbs in the morning

Jarel

White Belt
Reaction score
Im on the final week of my weight cut, hoping to lose about 3-5 more pounds before the final water cut and I've been reading so much controversial information about the whole low carb thing.

I usually just try to eat my carbs early, like oatmeal and all. but I've been told to totally eliminate them

The sources pretty much say as long as the carbs are low, fat can be high and will give you energy? In that case..

Protein shake with almond milk and a few eggs/nonfat cheese for breakfast
Leftover eggs/cheese for a small snack
Chicken breast, cooked with spinach and mushrooms for lunch
Half a banana before training
Protein shake with almond milk after training

And snacking on a few mixed unsalted nuts between meals

Could I actually drop some weight on this diet?

that diet you described is low carb, but you're not getting enough fat by the looks of it, your calories should be over 60% from fat and the remainder from protein, fat is what your tissues and organs use for energy on this diet, not protein (too much protein will become glucose in some form anyway). add some eggs, avocados, nuts, fattier cuts of meat, and put butter and mayo on everything (not that piece of gar-bitch margarine or miracle whip). yes, if you can lower your carb intake enough to reach ketosis, and from that point on you eat high fat meals, you'll have great energy.

calories matter when you're cutting weight so keep that in mind, but the thing is, with a true low carb, high fat diet, you won't have to count calories because the fat is so satiating, especially if you train in addition. i know personally from trying to eat above my maintenance level in an attempt to gain weight how difficult it is to overeat a lowcarb diet, you simply won't binge on eggs and steak. btw the first bit of weight you lose will be water, because the stored glycogen in your muscles (as it is used up due to low carb intake to fuel your body), is stored alongside water, which will be released. once all that water and glycogen is depleted you'll be in a fat-burning metabolism and henceforth will lose fat provided you follow your diet carefully.

1. Carbs in the morning = higher cortisol
2. Higher cortisol = higher water retention & fat production

I'm skipping a lot of health math here, but the start and end points are what matters.

that diet you described is low carb, but you're not getting enough fat by the looks of it, your calories should be over 60% from fat and the remainder from protein, fat is what your tissues and organs use for energy on this diet, not protein (too much protein will become glucose in some form anyway). add some eggs, avocados, nuts, fattier cuts of meat, and put butter and mayo on everything (not that piece of gar-bitch margarine or miracle whip). yes, if you can lower your carb intake enough to reach ketosis, and from that point on you eat high fat meals, you'll have great energy.

calories matter when you're cutting weight so keep that in mind, but the thing is, with a true low carb, high fat diet, you won't have to count calories because the fat is so satiating, especially if you train in addition. i know personally from trying to eat above my maintenance level in an attempt to gain weight how difficult it is to overeat a lowcarb diet, you simply won't binge on eggs and steak. btw the first bit of weight you lose will be water, because the stored glycogen in your muscles (as it is used up due to low carb intake to fuel your body), is stored alongside water, which will be released. once all that water and glycogen is depleted you'll be in a fat-burning metabolism and henceforth will lose fat provided you follow your diet carefully.

This sounds great, only thing im worried about is the Almond milk being too many carbs? It is 8 per cup, doesnt seem too bad, and the shake mix is 9 per serving

Seems so crazy to me that you can eat cheese, butter and nuts and still lose weight...

Last edited:
Wouldn't fattier meats take awhile to digest properly in his final week of weight cutting i was always told to take out red meats and pork weeks leading up to a weight cut

Wouldn't fattier meats take awhile to digest properly in his final week of weight cutting i was always told to take out red meats and pork weeks leading up to a weight cut

I never eat any of those, I'll be getting my healthy fats elsewhere

I'm skipping a lot of health math here, but the start and end points are what matters.

I agree all the way, and actually came here to say this.

If you're cutting weight I would focus on eating light, protein heavy foods. You shouldn't be cutting for too long so I would focus on foods like chicken and eggs and veggies and lots of water (2 gallons until 2 days before, 1 gallon of distilled and no sodium in food 1 day before, and then don't eat or drink anything the day of).

Ok, so.. No fat? I ate eggs with cheese and spinach and chicken this morning instead of oatmeal and I feel great

Ok, so.. No fat? I ate eggs with cheese and spinach and chicken this morning instead of oatmeal and I feel great

No, the exact opposite. Eat as much fat as possible, as much protein as possible, and as few carbs as humanly possible.

I'm serious.

Do you have a citation for that? I'm not doubting you, I'm just legitimately curious and could use a paper that supports it.

Do you have a citation for that? I'm not doubting you, I'm just legitimately curious and could use a paper that supports it.

Nope. Wish I was as vigorous about bookmarking stuff as some people are here. Not sure where or even when I learned that.

No, the exact opposite. Eat as much fat as possible, as much protein as possible, and as few carbs as humanly possible.

I'm serious.

Honestly? Ok, will do. How about artificial sweeteners like MiO and Crystal Light? They help me get the water down

Well, you've proven yourself as useless to me. Anyone got anything? Cause I sure can't find anything reputable.

Honestly? Ok, will do. How about artificial sweeteners like MiO and Crystal Light? They help me get the water down

Just drink the goddamn water as it is, you little girl. Man up.

Guynet just did a review of a paper showing mice that could taste sugar became obese while mice with their sugar taste-buds knocked out didn't become obese - and yes, they matched calorie intake for both groups. Take it for what it's worth.

Or just man up.

Guynet just did a review of a paper showing mice that could taste sugar became obese while mice with their sugar taste-buds knocked out didn't become obese - and yes, they matched calorie
intake for both groups. Take it for
what it's worth.
Or just man up.

Sheeeesh roger that !

Guynet just did a review of a paper showing mice that could taste sugar became obese while mice with their sugar taste-buds knocked out didn't become obese - and yes, they matched calorie intake for both groups. Take it for what it's worth.

Or just man up.

Pretty much what SD said, but, if you absolutely have to you can use the Crystal Light packs. My GF can't drink water so she does the packs. Whatever, as long as it's 0cal.

Back