what will become of BJJ in 10 years?

snoop dogg***

Baby Heath goon$quad
Reaction score
in 10 years what do you think Sport Jiu Jitsu and Jiu jitsu in mma will look like?
will it be changed for the better or worse?

In ten years, there will be a lot more different federations running their own competitions with their own rules.

so you will the creation of different branches of BJJ.

of course you still see the branches of the original GJJ.

there will be lot more BB teaching so the prices of your average BJJ clubs will be the same as Judo while still having the expensive club run by world champions.

MMA will be a sport of its own and will become massive.

Each countries will start developing their own style of Jiu Jitsu. like the French and Russians are known to haver their own style of Judo.

As long as commentators in UFC keep using the word Jiu Jitsu and terminology, it is free advertising for BJJ clubs but consumers will become more savy and might be attracted towards mma clubs instead of a BJJ club.

Basically, if you think to get your BB in BJJ and become as rich as your current BJJ instructor, I do not think it is gonna be the case in 10 years time.

In ten years, there will be a lot more different federations running their own competitions with their own rules.

there will be lot more BB teaching so the prices of your average BJJ clubs will be the same as Judo while still having the expensive club run by world champions.

Each countries will start developing their own style of Jiu Jitsu. like the French and Russians are known to haver their own style of Judo.

As long as commentators in UFC keep using the word Jiu Jitsu and terminology, it is free advertising for BJJ clubs but consumers will become more savy and might be attracted towards mma clubs instead of a BJJ club.

Basically, if you think to get your BB in BJJ and become as rich as your current BJJ instructor, I do not think it is gonna be the case in 10 years time.

i truthfully think that jiu jitsu will never die in MMA although its not that commonly seen. grappling as a whole can not be overlooked

i truthfully think that jiu jitsu will never die in MMA although its not that commonly seen. grappling as a whole can not be overlooked

I agree it will never die.

all I am saying that people will train MMA club to get fit and even train to compete in MMA.

BJJ clubs would no longer be the location to train at if you are a MMA fan as they will be a supply for that particular demand.

what if the UFC commentator stopped mentionning the world Jiu Jitsu everytime the fight hits the ground and just refer to someone ground grappling skills instead of describing someone's jiu jitsu skills.

I agree it will never die.

all I am saying that people will train MMA club to get fit and even train to compete in MMA.

BJJ clubs would no longer be the location to train at if you are a MMA fan as they will be a supply for that particular demand.

what if the UFC commentator stopped mentionning the world Jiu Jitsu everytime the fight hits the ground and just refer to someone ground grappling skills instead of describing someone's jiu jitsu skills.

so what do u think of all these guys who train bjj full time. they train like pros but just to chase gold medals?
like Gianni Grippo, Jt Torres, Pablo Popovitch, Edwin Najmi, Mike Liera Jr, and much more. do u think there will be more of those?

so what do u think of all these guys who train bjj full time. they train like pros but just to chase gold medals?
like Gianni Grippo, Jt Torres, Pablo Popovitch, Edwin Najmi, Mike Liera Jr, and much more. do u think there will be more of those?

Yes, they still will exists and well as there will be more federations running their own world cup.

Having several world cup would devalue one's medals and accomplishments.

They will be running their own rules as well.

Now the question is since there will be a lot more BB teaching BJJ.
I would assume that there is still be a demand for expensive BJJ clubs but there will be a multitude of BJJ schools that will offer classes as cheap as your current local Judo clubs.

If there is no (or less) money to make of teaching BJJ, I think it would have an impact of the interest of semi pro competitors that are doing well at the moment to sacrifice years of competition if there is no financial outcome by running your own gym later on.

The market will become saturated.

Yes. Its a frightening thought but true. I still have martial arts magazines from early UFCs during mid 90s. Back then it was believed that BJJ alone is "invincible" and if you cant fight on the ground you cant fight at all etc. The concept if "mixed" martial arts never existed as cage was purely BJJ territory.

I even see BJJ turning into some kind of a belief cult like Taekwondo. People will live off of old glories and how some guy named "Royce" proved that grappling was so much superior etc but when they would be asked to get in the octagon to show it and they would not show up. Of all the BJJ techniques there will be very few very high probability moves that will have a place in MMA or street fight type situation.

So ya. Its an unfortunate future. Sad for people like myself who are putting hours and hours into something that is turning into the Hoy lee Pai Shin fu of tomorrow.

Hopefully cheaper, so my then 41 year old body that is broken down from years of abuse...i mean Judo....can afford to keep grappling and still walk.

Until the first little teenaged WB bastard tries to heel hook me, then I'm going to Old Man Black Belt Osoto his sorry ass into next week.....

Last edited:
Whether or not a top level mma fighter is a "bjj fighter" they are still more than proficient at bjj. Guard/guard passing and subs/sub defense is so important that it will always be relevant.

I would like to see bjj come back and dominate. But This will only happen if bjjers learn for fucks sake if u are a bjj blackbelt don't try to out kickbox a kickboxer.

I like Carlos Gracie Jnr vision.

GJJ or more like BJJ no longer needs to prove itself.

Now let's go and promote the martial art around the world.

Eddie Bravo vision is different. He wants to bring back JJ to the top of the MMA by developing a nogi JJ style.

Different goals and visions.

Only time will tell.

I think bjj will only go up there's a big push to get it into the Olympics as mma grows so does bjj

Just looked into my crystal ball. I see McDojoism.

Flow only gyms with fake credential instructors.

UFC-Gym.jpg

I dont know about mcdojo... I cant imagine a mcmaster doing too well if he gets whooped by a passing through legitimate blue belt.. Not seeing it with bjj. I see raised standards if anything as a result of a more competitive market. More pressure to offer more classes with more senior belts

I dont know about mcdojo... I cant imagine a mcmaster doing too well if he gets whooped by a passing through legitimate blue belt.. Not seeing it with bjj. I see raised standards if anything as a result of a more competitive market. More pressure to offer more classes with more senior belts

McMaster can never roll because he/she always have a bad neck and back.

BJJ will be replaced by Astro-Grappling and will be part of the 2024 Space Olympics.

A lot of possibilities

- It might be a little cheaper
- One of the olympic events
- Get featured on sports channels
- More moves to be seen on movies
- more styles besides 10th planet system, crazy advance moves

Its also possible that some dojo will be mcdojos. Hopefully full time competitors who will be the 1st,2nd&3rd place will receive pay.

Back