the thing I'm not seeing touched upon regarding Shogun/Gus

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I see plenty of discussion about Shogun leaving an opening defensively, Shogun potentially catching Gus, Gus and his footwork, and D1 Shogun trying for the TD.

One thing I haven't seen on this forum... and I think it is quite odd considering how likely it is... is Shogun on the bottom if Gus gets the knockdown standing. Obviously Shogun is extremely hard to put away so Gus will likely have to close in to try and finish with GNP if he DOES get the knockdown. Once he does and he gets put into the half guard of Shogun... can he finish before Shogun clears the cobwebs and then sweeps like he tends to do from that position?

I'm just saying Shogun may end up on top without D1 Shogun ever making an appearance. Once he does Gus's strength is negated and he could be put in a very precarious position. Just a thought that I wanted to put out there since it seems oddly absent from all conversation so far, despite being not all that unlikely to happen.

Shoguns sweeps are so well known that many people see them coming. I am sure that Gus has trained to defend them.

I am a huge shogun fan, but who has he swept in the UFC?

The last one I remember was the omaplata sweep against Arona

Shoguns sweeps are so well known that many people see them coming. I am sure that Gus has trained to defend them.

Seeing them coming and stopping them are two different stories. Jones is the only guy I can think of that shut down Shogun's ground game. I'm a fan of both guys and think Gus is improving rapidly, but regardless of if he's trained to defend them or not I'm sure Gus wants to spend as little time as humanly possible with Shogun on the ground.

Um, he swept machida from the bottom in they're second fight.

I'm a big Shogun fan but I have to admit his half guard sweeps are too predictable now, everyone knows that's what he wants to do on the ground.

Look you can even see Gustafsson's training partner trying Shogun's sweeps on him in his open workout and Gus defending.

Watch the very beginning of this video and then 2:49 seconds into the video, Gustafsson has obviously been working on stopping them.

I hope Shogun has worked other aspects of his ground game because I think if he just tries to spam his half guard sweeps, he's going gas himself quickly like in the Jones fight.

I don't think Gus wants to be on the ground at all with Shogun,top or bottom, unless he is putting in the coffin nails.

I think his stratehy will look similar to his fight with Thiago Silva.

I don't think Gus wants to be on the ground at all with Shogun,top or bottom, unless he is putting in the coffin nails.

I think his stratehy will look similar to his fight with Thiago Silva.

True. But with a guy like Shogun if you want to put the nails in you have to go to the ground (no clean KOs obviously) and he's hard as hell to put away even if you get the knockdown (Hendo, Jones, etc etc). If Gus gets the knockdown do you think he'll just wait for Shogun to get up and wave him up? Interesting thought...

I'm a big Shogun fan but I have to admit his half guard sweeps are too predictable now, everyone knows that's what he wants to do on the ground.

Look you can even see Gustafsson's training partner trying Shogun's sweeps on him in his open workout and Gus defending.

Watch the very beginning of this video and then 2:49 seconds into the video, Gustafsson has obviously been working on stopping them.

I hope Shogun has worked other aspects of his ground game because I think if he just tries to spam his half guard sweeps, he's going gas himself quickly like in the Jones fight.

Hadn't seen that video yet, thanks

Last edited:

Machida? He did not really swep him but was on his way and machida noticed it so he hade to stand back up.

I hate to say, cause I do love Shogun & am a huge fan since Pride.....but I don't think Gus will have much of a problem with him in this fight.....hope to hell I am wrong...but sure got that feeling....

Gus has a lot of reach. Shogun wants Gus in his guard only slightly less than he wants JJ there.

I see plenty of discussion about Shogun leaving an opening defensively, Shogun potentially catching Gus, Gus and his footwork, and D1 Shogun trying for the TD.

One thing I haven't seen on this forum... and I think it is quite odd considering how likely it is... is Shogun on the bottom if Gus gets the knockdown standing. Obviously Shogun is extremely hard to put away so Gus will likely have to close in to try and finish with GNP if he DOES get the knockdown. Once he does and he gets put into the half guard of Shogun... can he finish before Shogun clears the cobwebs and then sweeps like he tends to do from that position?

I'm just saying Shogun may end up on top without D1 Shogun ever making an appearance. Once he does Gus's strength is negated and he could be put in a very precarious position. Just a thought that I wanted to put out there since it seems oddly absent from all conversation so far, despite being not all that unlikely to happen.

ok . nomore talking . lets see the fight

Gusty has long arms....if Shogun actually scored the omoplata that he likes to throw I might come completely unglued.

Um, he swept machida from the bottom in they're second fight.

This.. if shogun is on the bottom he always goes for the sweep...The only fighter to stop Shogun from doing a sweep so far is Jones

This.. if shogun is on the bottom he always goes for the sweep...The only fighter to stop Shogun from doing a sweep so far is Jones

I think Henderson stopped them as well.

Edit: Upon searching I was able to find one where Shogun was going for the sweep but went for the sub instead.
5_medium.gif

Back