Ryron Gracie reveals strategy used against Galvao

SBJ

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
We catch up with Ryron Gracie at the Gracie Immersion Camp 2013 to talk about his fight against world champion Andre Galvao at the Metamoris I event in October last year.

He discusses his "Keep it playful" preparation coming up to the fight, the survival strategy he implemented and reveals what his grandfather Grand Master Helio Gracie taught him to become an escape artist.

Lay there like a b*&%^ and laugh as your opponent dominates you? PR victory of the century (so far).

Other reveals:

Soylent Green is people.
Verbal is Keyser Soze.
Planet of the Apes is the future Earth.

142307_o.gif

"Ok...30 more minutes and he should be tired enough for me to work my game!"

"Yea I knew there was no way I could sub him so I just let him whoop my ass until time ran out, and called it self defense"

I won't even watch that video, or anything that comes from these two.

It didn't bug me that he really couldn't do anything against Galvao (not many people can in BJJ). What bugged me is that after getting his ass handed to him, he thought it was a victory and said that was his "plan". When really, he just kinda ran with what happened to him. If he would have by some miracle submitted Galvao, he would have said that was his plan" as well.

These guys advocate the no time limit submission only matches to see who's better, but when one of them gets their ass kicked in their own event, they come up with the whole "I kept it playful" excuse, when its clear he got dominated.

When someone is purely trying to defend and hell bent on not getting submitted, it's very hard to submit someone. He knew he couldn't beat Galvao, so he just purely defended and tried to chalk it up as a "win". Can't stand these guys, sorry.

Those Gracies sure are big on their moral victories.

Masahiko_Kimura_vs_Helio_Gracie_ude-garami.jpg

I still think it was great that Everyone in the world thought Galvao would literally run thru Gracie and when he couldn't and didn't, instead of saying "wow, pretty impressive of Gracie, maybe there is something to this"........... Everyone bashes and makes excuses.:rolleyes:

I mean this was Metamoris, it was supposed to be different and fun, interesting and thought provoking!!!!!

Ok the moral victory for helio Gracie moral victory was that according to the story kimura predicted a sub after 3 minutes.
Not that it matters. Just explaining the background

I still think it was great that Everyone in the world thought Galvao would literally run thru Gracie and when he couldn't and didn't, instead of saying "wow, pretty impressive of Gracie, maybe there is something to this"........... Everyone bashes and makes excuses.:rolleyes:

I mean this was Metamoris, it was supposed to be different and fun, interesting and thought provoking!!!!!

Hell yeah, I would have lost money because I thought Andree would have tapped him out within 20 minutes.

Wait, everyone else is making excuses?

There isn't a single person who thinks Ryron surviving against Galvao for 20 minutes isn't impressive. Our problem is that he got his ass handed to him under his own rules and refuses to simply admit it. Instead he uses excuses like, "I kept it playful!". No, you got dominated for 20 minutes. You thought you'd be able to keep Galvao at bay long enough for him to gas, then submit him. You couldn't do it. At least admit it like a man with some honor.

There isn't a single person who thinks Ryron surviving against Galvao for 20 minutes isn't impressive. Our problem is that he got his ass handed to him under his own rules and refuses to simply admit it. Instead he uses excuses like, "I kept it playful!". No, you got dominated for 20 minutes. You thought you'd be able to keep Galvao at bay long enough for him to gas, then submit him. You couldn't do it. At least admit it like a man with some honor.

Please define his own rules!
I thought it was a draw in case no subs after 20 minutes. No points system.

agreed.

I'm surprised the people here, who supposedly train, think that it's "easy" to not get submitted by a veteran blackbelt for 20 minutes...

It wasn't "his rules"
I have seen little to non say it was "impressive" and if they do it's in passing on there way to a dismissive comment. Little to non really sat back and went "wow! Kinda cool".

And he got is handed to him by today's "sport IBJJF" mindset, but this event was put together to show what would happen in a totally different Ruleset.............. Problem is most ( like you) people couldnt see this without there IBJJF tint on it.:icon_neut

Ten years ago, we use to have sub matches in a boxing ring against other sub team during kb fight nights. No points system because we could not agree on the points system. At the end it was a draw if no subs.

Ryron's the best =D

Seriously though, why isn't he competing in this one? Would love to see him against Rodolfo or Buchecha or something... I mean... to see if he can do the same thing again. =D

Maybe he is being honest. Maybe he really did go into it with that philosophy. I would if I were him. No point going in thinking you're going to dominate Galvao if you don't compete.

Those Gracies sure are big on their moral victories.

Masahiko_Kimura_vs_Helio_Gracie_ude-garami.jpg

tumblr_lrwewonn1y1qkznxe.gif

Kimura said:

When I entered the stadium, I found a coffin. I asked what it was. I was told, "This is for Kimura. Helio brought this in." It was so funny that I almost burst into laughter.

Ok the moral victory for helio Gracie moral victory was that according to the story kimura predicted a sub after 3 minutes.
Not that it matters. Just explaining the background

Yeah, and the Gracies predicted superiority over all martial arts...

Who really won the moral victory?

I think Ryron does deserve credit for surviving against Andre Galvao. He is a hell of a competitor. And Ryron doesn't really compete much.

But I never considered Ryron a low level grappler. I suspect he is a quite a high level grappler. That is why I think Ryron could and should have done better in the fight.

Had Ryron been a new blackbelt or a guy who never competed or trained with high level people then I would say he shocked the world in surviving andre galvao.

Ryron however is a good enough grappler to give Galvao a fight and he didnt. This was the one match in metamoris were I really wanted to see a submission. I dont think Galvao won or Ryron lost it was clearly a tie. But Galvao did show more control in the fight then Ryron did. Though do give credit to Ryron he did do what he said he was going to do. Survive.

Back