How do you clean the inside of your gloves?

P

Pugilistic

My hand sweat stank accumulates within my gloves so every time I train, my hands just stink like I've been massaging some old man's junk. It's not a problem while hitting the bags since I'm wearing the gloves, but afterwards I can't do my cool down shadowboxing without taking off my wraps and washing my hands first. My nose stings whenever I put my guard up.

My handwraps also stink so I have to wash them while showering after every session. The biggest problem is that the stink stays on my hands for awhile even if I wash my hands multiple times. I worry whenever I socialize right after training. Imagine meeting a cute girl and she notices your hand stank when you shake hands. Can't eat a burger or sandwich either without thinking about that odor getting into my food.

It's been getting worse now that it's hot and humid. I've been putting these air freshener type things made for shoes inside my gloves but they only help so much. Should I try washing them somehow? Or just deal with the odor?

Best option: Buy a new pair and take care of them. Then fill your old gloves with cedar chips and activated carbon and hang them in your garage for a few months...

If you really want to try, there is a TINY possibly putting them in the freezer for a few days will remove the smell...

Best option: Buy a new pair and take care of them. Then fill your old gloves with cedar chips and activated carbon and hang them in your garage for a few months...

If you really want to try, there is a TINY possibly putting them in the freezer for a few days will remove the smell...

I'll pass on the freezing. What do you mean by take care of them? I really don't know what I'm doing wrong if gloves aren't supposed to smell.

I'll pass on the freezing. What do you mean by take care of them? I really don't know what I'm doing wrong if gloves aren't supposed to smell.

1) After training put them outside, if this is impossible for safety reasons put them on top of your gym bag.
2) drive home with them outside the gym bag.
3) when you return home put them outside in the shade, or on a windowsill.
4) after they are dry put a sock filled with cedar chips in them and place them in your bag.
5) never use dirty smelly handwraps.
6) if you train double days have two pairs of bag and two pairs of sparring gloves.

I've got a couple of pieces of 2in plastic tubing. They are about 10inchs long and have been crossdrilled all the way along. Once a week I put then in the glove down to the finger tip to open them for ventilation, spay with disinfectant and leave them on the deck for a couple of hrs.

My hand sweat stank accumulates within my gloves so every time I train, my hands just stink like I've been massaging some old man's junk. It's not a problem while hitting the bags since I'm wearing the gloves, but afterwards I can't do my cool down shadowboxing without taking off my wraps and washing my hands first. My nose stings whenever I put my guard up.

My handwraps also stink so I have to wash them while showering after every session. The biggest problem is that the stink stays on my hands for awhile even if I wash my hands multiple times. I worry whenever I socialize right after training. Imagine meeting a cute girl and she notices your hand stank when you shake hands. Can't eat a burger or sandwich either without thinking about that odor getting into my food.

It's been getting worse now that it's hot and humid. I've been putting these air freshener type things made for shoes inside my gloves but they only help so much. Should I try washing them somehow? Or just deal with the odor?

You need new gloves, man. If wearing your gloves makes your hands smell like an old man's junk then your gloves (smell-wise) probably can't be saved.

Anyways, here is how I treat my Twins. I have had them for 2 years and there is only a very faint smell which is only detectable if you put your nose very near to the glove chamber.

1. Don't chuck your gloves into your gym bag then leave them in there overnight(s). If possible, leave your gym bag a little open while travelling home then take your gloves out immediately as soon as you arrive home. Undo the velcros/laces and leave your gloves by the windowsill to dry.

2. Every week or so, I use baby wipes to clean the inner compartment. Nothing fancy- 5 minutes if that and I'm usually done.

3. Use fresh (i.e. clean) wraps every lesson. Don't drag your handwraps halfway across the gym floor then put them on your hand and into your glove. Also, obviously, don't eat with your handwraps on and then put your hands back into your glove (witnessed this last week with a kid eating doritos :icon_surp)

3 steps and your gloves should be fine. I don't use glove dogs and mine are still fine after 5-6 hours of training each week.

NoMilkForSanta has already told you the bulk of what you need to know. Wash your hand wraps with mild detergent in the sink and hang dry. Putting them in the wash is always terrible unless you put them in a mesh garment bag so they don't wrap around everything else.

Try getting a gym bag like this: http://www.amazon.com/Brute-Nylon-Mesh-Bag-COLOR/dp/B000B5UIL0

VG19UGM.jpg

Especially if you're doing kickboxing as well. You can put all your equipment in your bag, like your shin guards, gloves, etc but have them ventilate as well. Stuffing your sweat soaked equipment in a closed gym bag and throwing it in your trunk is awful. It will imbue a stench of death on your equipment and stank up your car.

Once you get home, still let them breathe over night and take them out of the bag.

Bacteria breeds in moisture and warmth. Like everyone said, keep em aired out. I like to put mine in front of a fan when I get home. Someone told me that mixing baking soda and water in a spray bottle and spraying them after every workout works well but I haven't tried it yet.

I lost my favorite pair to the stinkfist. I use the clorox wipes to wipe the inside then when I get home I leave them out to air dry

Hang your wraps and your gloves outside to dry in the sun and air after every training session. Simple but it works.

Sunlight kills molds and bacterias, so if you can get them some sunlight, awesome. The cedar chips (or cedar blocks, easier to handle) trick works really well. Then your gloves actually smell good. Mine smell awful so I'll spray as much of the insides with Lysol as I can and leave them in the sun a lot. It helps but they still stink.

Need me some cedar blocks, honestly.

What REALLY kills them is letting them stay wet for more than 24 hours. They're basically shit central after that. If you're in winter climate and can't utilize the outdoors maybe stick them somewhere away from everything and put a little fan on them.

Shit. Looks like this pair is a lost cause. Once I get money I'm gonna buy two bag gloves and rotate them. Thanks guys. Good call on the clorox wipes

u might as well drown them in baking soda and then a bit of detergent afterwards and maybe the stink will come off... if not then throw them out.

for future reference, air drying them is of most importance (for the gloves and the wraps).

buy several wraps and rotate them around. for the gloves, i spray lysol disinfectant inside (out outside) when i air dry them.... seems to help a lot. had my gloves for 2+ years already and they don't stink...

Sunlight kills molds and bacterias, so if you can get them some sunlight, awesome. The cedar chips (or cedar blocks, easier to handle) trick works really well. Then your gloves actually smell good. Mine smell awful so I'll spray as much of the insides with Lysol as I can and leave them in the sun a lot. It helps but they still stink.

Need me some cedar blocks, honestly.

What REALLY kills them is letting them stay wet for more than 24 hours. They're basically shit central after that. If you're in winter climate and can't utilize the outdoors maybe stick them somewhere away from everything and put a little fan on them.

ive left my gloves in the trunk of my car over a whole weekend. lost cause at this point.

sweat is like a big mcdonald's for bacteria, the trick is to dry them as soon as possible. my problem is that i often go out to eat before that and they feed from my glvoes in my car for hours, that's why i used perfumed alcohol and it worked, but my hands were a bit itchy the next session.

I only got away with that once during the dead of winter, which in NY is well below freezing even in the day.

...Para

I only got away with that once during the dead of winter, which in NY is well below freezing even in the day.

...Para

well...let me say that its not the same here in LA during the summer. sad part is im still using the same pair of gloves (my first pair ever from when i started MT 3 years ago) and i own two other pairs.

i dont use the other pairs in class...because i dont want them to stink. lol

told myself id only use one of the other pairs if i went in and only did sparring...that way, no stinky contamination from sweaty pads/focus mitts.

I usually just use lysol and and wipe them out every couple weeks or once they start smelling funky. I always try to take everthing out of my bag once I get home to air dry and alternate gloves every session.

My shin guards on the other hand are just always funky only after a couple sessions. I put those in the wash pretty much every week.

I kind of like the stink actually, I'm usually sniffing my fingers the whole way home from teh gym...is that badwrong? I do the same thing with gasoline, love it. I wish they made cologne that smells like gasoline.

I am another for the clorox/lysol wipes.

I trained pretty heavily this summer (3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week) and wipes them out after every session. Then left them out of my bag until the next session. Did the same with my shin guards.

As for wraps, I have 3 pairs and would rotate them 1 pair per day. After one day of use, they went in the wash. Same goes for my Thai shorts.

Don't be the stinky kid.

Back