Serious Movie Discussion XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted Cruise' son to die shortly into the movie.
My fave sequence in WOTW was the Hudson Ferry (car jacking,Tripods coming down the hills wreaking havoc).

i hate that kid in absolutely everything he's in.

he looks like this kid i know that is nothing short of insufferable.

I'm guessing this is safe to post, considering it was a decade+ old HBO movie that's kinda hard to find now. But I love this film.

Conspiracy is nothing more than a group of men sitting at a table, discussing plans. But the movie is so much more than that, and the acting is excellent. It's basically a movie based on the only remaining transcript of the "final solution" that the Nazis implemented to kill as many Jews as possible. Highly recommended.

I love WOTW, but definitely not everything about it. The kids were a huge negative. I know they were important to the plot but I wanted to punch the screen during Dakota Fanning's screams, and Robbie running towards the action was just stupid. The movie is definitely flawed, but despite that, I love it. The church sequence all the way up until they left town was masterful.

War of the Worlds is pretty good. I love the cinematography. Some of those shots are amazing, which helps the intensity. Like 2/3 of the movie is extremely intense. I hate the ending, though. That was such a lame copout. I know it's the same ending as the book, but that doesn't hold up AT ALL today. It takes a lot away from the movie, which otherwise is near perfect.

Also,

his son should have died, but that's Spielberg I reckon

But, the rest of the movie is extremely dark and I like it a lot. 8/10.

The son surviving is from the book as well. The guy in the book thought his wife was dead, and she miraculously survived.

I love the movie, and I've learned to accept Robbie living. Everything else is masterful. This is why I still haven't finished World War Z yet. The filmmaking just doesn't compare.

Oblivion was completely meh. Just every sci-fi movie of the past 10 years smooshed together with typical bland results. Lol at the Independence Day ending.

Arsenic >>>>>>> His Girl Friday >>> Bringing Up Baby

in terms of cary grant, hes probably coolest in HGF

I agree with this...even though I only liked Arsenic.

Last edited:
I did not like Oblivion at all. Which is saying something, because the genre is right down my alley.

His Girl Friday was fucking funny. Grant's delivery was flawless. Really liked Russell as well. Just a great movie experience.

I've got one of them good problems. I've decided to spend a good deal of money at the movies this weekend. Saturday I'll be seeing both Prisoners and Blue Jasmine. The problem is the Sunday. They're showing Avatar - Special Edition in IMAX 3D, as well as Prometheus and Life of Pi in the same formats. I'm doing Life of Pi for sure because I like it that much. But I need to choose between the other two as I can only manage one of the two time-wise. I was never massively taken by Avatar (liked it didn't love it) but always thought that in IMAX it might be a different beast (saw it on a good 3D screen though, when I first saw it, but not IMAX). Now Prometheus, I've never seen because of the mixed response in general. I'm a massive fan of Alien and really like Aliens as well.

Which one of the two should I do? Part of me really wants to see Avatar in IMAX just because of the spectacle of it. Who knows when I'll get to see it in IMAX again for a while. But the film fan in me wants to give Prometheus a go. But would it be that much worse on Blu Ray?

Decisions decisions.....

See I always felt War of the Worlds was really solid and seemed to get a bum rap from a lot of viewers.

Yeah, it does. It's severely underrated for a blockbuster.

There are things that detract, of course. For you, man, it was the ending. For me, it was the general annoyingness of Cruise's kids. Sure on the Spielberg annoying kids scale, theyre still not that high but Fanning- typical irksome overly precocious child who screams and,panics a lot. The son was an ass whose reason for bailing on his father and sister was LAME and
yes he should have died because it defied logic for him not to die but it is what it is

His kids didn't bother me much. Robbie was a douche, but so were a lot of people I knew at that age. Him trying to join the Army was dumb, but he's a dumb kid.

On the flip side, I loved the effects, thought the pacing was very good (great slow burn build to the actual initiation of the attacks), and thought Cruise himself, as almost always, delivered with a quality performance. He made me like the character and he was the one I was really rooting for.

And to just add, my favorite sequence of that movie was (back in 05) is and always will be that scene where the tripod emerges. Holy shit that is some masterfully done, tense stuff there and when I first saw it in the theater it was utterly eerie. Just feel everything about that sequence is masterful- from when Cruise and the neighborhood people are all gathering to where the lightning hit, to the rumbling and cracking of the ground, the collapse of the church, the droning noise the thing makes and everyone just starting in awe at the thing as we see the f'ng lasers emerge in the reflection from the car windshield. Brilliant.

Yeah, that scene was crazy brilliant on so many levels.

Didnt mind the ending to be frank. Cop out? Yea sure to an extent but you back yourself into a corner with that type of movie. You're not going to do some type of Independence Day- lets fuck these things up- bravado shit cause that wasn't true to the merely pushing for survival tenor of the film. There was no indication US military was equipped to take all those things out and again the movie wasn't about us vs. the aliens as much as it was about Cruise and his family trying to survive in the midst of this uncontrollable disaster. With that in mind, the ending was appropriate to the film in my view.

It doesn't make sense in the same way that Signs doesn't. An advanced alien species invades but doesn't take simple biology into account? Weak, but I get what you're saying though. My gf said while we were watching "I don't see this movie ending well", and she's right. There really is no way for the movie to end well. I just wish they had thought it out more instead of relying on the book.

High Five on the sci-fi genre pick. I am a straight sucker for sci-fi truth be told and I have a huge blind spot as far as quality goes. I will let things slide when there is space/future/post-apoc going on that would cause me to throw in the towel under any other circumstances.

Same. I let a lot slide in sci-fi as well as horror. If it works, it's great. For example, the new Star-Treks. Sure, there's some plot holes, but I don't mind them at all because they're entertaining movies. But if it doesn't work, like Prometheus, I will hate the movie even more.

Also think the tense sequence with Tim Robbins is pretty damn good. Robbins makes that guy effectively creepy. Definite air of uneasiness when he's like "if something happened to your dad, I'd take care of you."

haha he had simultaneously the creepiest and funniest intro to a movie ever.

I love the movie, and I've learned to accept Robbie living. Everything else is masterful. This is why I still haven't finished World War Z yet. The filmmaking just doesn't compare.

I'll be watching this soon. I was stoked. Thanks, Buzz.

What did you guys think of the movie Prisoner(s?)

I loved it!

Seven Days in May was great. I loved the whole cast, and the way it's just driven by talking instead of "plot points." Lancaster was great, but I've noticed he squints a whole lot, and does this weird stop and start cadence.

Also really liked The Anderson Tapes, but the ending was lame.

Bull, you watch Across 110th Street?

i liked life of pi. kind of reminded me of big fish.

the boat stuff wasnt all that fun to watch, but i thought the punchline was rather clever and even kind of beautiful (and thats coming from a non-believer).

i liked life of pi. kind of reminded me of big fish.

the boat stuff wasnt all that fun to watch, but i thought the punchline was rather clever and even kind of beautiful (and thats coming from a non-believer).

Same here. Thats why I dont like believer vs non-believer arguements. Im pretty sure there is a good side and bad side to religion, so Im kinda in-between, and this film shows how religion can actually be useful. Hard to argue with that, regardless if you believe in god or not.

watched The Place Beyond the Pines. Pretty good. Previews kind of made it look way cooler than it was.

My big problem with movies like this is that one act almost always outshines the others, and its the only one i want to watch. In this case, the first was obviously the good one (and the kind of movie i expected the whole 140 minutes to be). Still pretty decent for something i rented on a whim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back