Fighters with Japanese Jujitsu background?

Carlos Newton trained in Japanese ju jitsu, judo, wrestling and boxing.
Tim Kennedy trained mainly in wrestling and boxing, and trained JJJ in the army.
Aoki never knew he trained in JJJ I've always known he is a judo and bjj black belt.
As far I know, Akira Shoji is a pro wrestler...
Harold Howard trained in Japanese ju jitsu, karate and judo.
Oleksiy Oliynyk is a 4th dan Japanese ju jitsu and trained in sambo too.

And btw I am third degree balck belt in Japanese ju jitsu.

Last edited:
Because Japanese jiu jitsu and especially aikido both suck.

Aikido particularly. A friend of mine is a 4th dan black belt and he said it would provide almost no help at all in MMA, which is why it is not used despite Seagal sensei's most fevered wet dreams.

Don't use make posts like this without distingushing between current JJ, which is comes from Judo, and old JJ, which Judo comes from.

Not sure what this means..

And if you absolutely have to do it, don't be condescending while writing your misleading post.
Sorry you are upset . What he said was false others will read it and be mislead. Somebody (happened to be me) inevitably interjected. Nobody cries , everyone wins.

The reason the Brazilian art is called Brazilian Jiujitsu and not Brazilian Judo is because, at the time it was first tought in Brazil, it was not called Judo yet. It would have been called Kano Jujutsu. Later on, Kano changed the name to Judo.

OK cool. Didn't know the time Kano created Judo in relation everything. Maeda was a student of Kano's, but the principles of "Judo" weren't created yet. Very interesting.

OK cool. Didn't know the time Kano created Judo in relation everything. Maeda was a student of Kano's, but the principles of "Judo" weren't created yet. Very interesting.

The principles of Judo were indeed created. That is what was tought by Maeda, it was just not called "Judo" at the time.

Carlos Newton trained in Japanese ju Jitsu, judo, wrestling and boxing.
Tim Kennedy trained mainly in wrestling and boxing, and trained JJJ in the army.
Aoki never knew he trained in JJJ I've always known he is a judo and bjj black belt.
As far I know, Akira Shoji is a pro wrestler...
Harold Howard trained in Japanese ju jitsu, karate and judo.
Oleksiy Oliynyk is a 4th dan Japanese ju jitsu and trained in sambo too.

And btw I am third degree balck belt in Japanese ju jitsu.

Which school are you a black belt of

Im curios to know why there are no fighters with Japanese jujitsu background, I mean I reckon it should have all the elements that judo,bjj and even aikido has since thats where these arts come from which in a way should make it a more well rounded style of grappling that has standup throws and groundwork.

Yet I don't hear any fighters talk about or practice any form of japanese jujitsu.

Michael Bisping did when he was younger

Japanese have Judo, Judo has Newaza, and even better, Judo has some sick throws, trips, & slams.

Judo is essentially BJJ, just cause Mitsuo Maeda went to Brazil to show the Gracie family his high level Judo skills, which they copied and changed into what they call BJJ, effective yes, but Judo has plenty of JJ in it.

can we just call it jiu jitsu? It would be like the Dutch renaming Muay Thai into....Dutch Muay Thai. Or American Chinese Chow Mein?

Yes, Carlos Newton.
He also trained in virtually every other martial art.

Akira Shoji also.

In fact I prefer to call it grappling instead of BJJ.

in the end its ALL grappling,just different emphasis on certain positions,philosphy etc.

Related was a bad word to use. Anyways, why don't they call it Brazilian Judo instead of Brazilian Ju-Jitsu?

Because Judo concentrates less an ground fighting and more an throws then trad. JJ and BJJ does the opposite.

Also the name Judo is only commonly used since after WW2.

This man had a japanese JJ background I believe:

method=get&s=harold-howard-gif.gif

Double H was the best. He was no Steve Jennum clearly, but he'll always own a place in my heart. (Tear, sniffle, tear).

Im curios to know why there are no fighters with Japanese jujitsu background, I mean I reckon it should have all the elements that judo,bjj and even aikido has since thats where these arts come from which in a way should make it a more well rounded style of grappling that has standup throws and groundwork.

Yet I don't hear any fighters talk about or practice any form of japanese jujitsu.

Nate Marquardt has a black belt in *** JJ

I've trained a bit of both,

JJJ is not so ground oriented as bjj,

lots of arm and wrist locks, very much oriented around counter - stand up grappling,

very much a traditional martial art with drills. When he does this, you do this, kind of

stuff.

Not really suited to mma or sparring, more in a street situation where shit could go

down at any second, guy tries to punch you, you grab his arm and twist it, he goes

down and you finish him...

All styles are just different ways to get your ass kicked by Chuck Norris

Back