Fighters with Japanese Jujitsu background?

JJJ is not really a martial art in the same sense as BJJ or judo because it's a much broader term. There are tons of different JJJ styles/schools (most of which are crap) and most of them have no competetive aspect.

There are very few real JJJ styles out there. And outside of Japan, you just will not find a real one (maybe a very watered down Daitoryu aikijutsu, done closer to aikido than the original aikijutsu, done by old aikido guys wishing to "get back to the roots").
Most "J"JJ are a modern styles recreated by combining of aikido, judo and point karate.
Some are closer to judo, some are closer to Aikido. Some like to do sparring (most do no/light contact, a few go full contact) and newaza, some think they are too deadly to use their skill in sport fighting.
Genki Sudo originated in one of these modern "J"JJ styles.

JJJ is very dated....Doesn't surprise me at all.

BJJ is more dynamic IMO.

JJJ is very dated....Doesn't surprise me at all.

BJJ is more dynamic IMO.

True. When it comes to competition and ground grappling, BJJ is very much more advanced that JJJ an is constantly evolving according to competition trends.

But this is BJJ self defense -and it is remarkably similar to any JJJ (original Japanese JJ or modern recreated JJ alike)

Japanese jiujitsu is a joke. Seriously.

This a thousand times. Some of these people naming japanese fighters like aoki don't know what they're talking about. Just because a guy is japanese and uses jiu-jitsu doesn't mean he's an expert at japanese jiu-jitsu.

The reason BJJ and Judo are superior to JJJ, is because of their sport element. It allowed the practicioners to hone their art against live resisting opponents at full force. Any art that doesn't train against a live resisting opponent is a joke of an art. Karate, Kung Fu, Ninjitsu, etc. All the arts people loved in the 80's.

Now look at the arts that have a solid sport element and how effective they are: Muy Thai, Wrestling, Boxing, Judo, BJJ.

Some arts are in between, like Taekwondo. If you are a competitive Taekwondo practictioner then the art can be useful, but most Taekwondo practicioners are not competitive, thus their skills are a joke. Same with Karate. That's why Machida's a badass but your local McDojo Sensei is not.

But this is BJJ self defense -and it is remarkably similar to any JJJ (original Japanese JJ or modern recreated JJ alike)

That was Rorion Gracie.
If you prefer the old man himself, Helio Gracie, showing the trad JJJ looking stand up self defense moves of BJJ...

Every other move is newaza, but none of the standup defences (and surprisingly few of the newaza moves) would have been out of place in my old modern-recreated JJJ dojo days. Most are just minor variations on what was taught there.

but this stuff is not designed for the sport surrounding, and you will not see a UFC fighter give another the opportunity to use one. They are mainly for use against untrained muggers and similar.

I discovered that Joseph Duffy and Stephen Thompson trained in ju jitsu too.

The first one is black belt in ju jitsu and taekwondo, purple belt in grappling and has trained in boxing.

The second one is 5th dan in kenpo, black belt in ju jitsu, karate and kickboxing and brown belt in grappling.

Last edited:
There are very few real JJJ styles out there. And outside of Japan, you just will not find a real one (maybe a very watered down Daitoryu aikijutsu, done closer to aikido than the original aikijutsu, done by old aikido guys wishing to "get back to the roots").
Most "J"JJ are a modern styles recreated by combining of aikido, judo and point karate.
Some are closer to judo, some are closer to Aikido. Some like to do sparring (most do no/light contact, a few go full contact) and newaza, some think they are too deadly to use their skill in sport fighting.
Genki Sudo originated in one of these modern "J"JJ styles.

Cool and unusual, but the striking reminded me of

This could hardly qualify as a street fight video

theres a wide variety of jj basicaly
the sports focused styles many resemble combat sambo...a little bit of everything
others have a lot of 'self defence' and weapons work
Overall the grappling isnt as developned as bjj/catch /wrestling etc , the throwing isnt as good as youd learn in judo /wrestling and the striking isnt as good as youd learn training muay thai or boxing
youd be a better 'jack of all trades ' by learning these elements seperately or at a mma gym than jj basicaly.

the most prominent Japanese jujutsu practitioner in the ufc is oleksiy oliynyk - uses a lot of rarely used submission techniques that he attributes to his jjj background

Alexis Davis, Tim Kennedy, Shonie Carter, Carlos Newton, Joseph Duffy are Ju Jutsu Practitioners.

Mikhail Zayats is a JJJ black belt, together with sambo and grappling.

Remco Pardoel is a 2nd dan in Japanese ju jitsu; 1st in judo, 1st in taekwondo. Late '90s trained in grappling too.

JJJ isn't a sport martial art. It's designed for fighting in armor against armed opponents, etc. like samurai did.

BJJ is a misnomer. It's not ju jutsu. It's judo. I don't know how it started getting called jiu jitsu. Rather, it's what judo was before they changed its rules to make it more entertaining for TV. We're lucky that judo survived in its original form in Brazil.

Im curios to know why there are no fighters with Japanese jujitsu background, I mean I reckon it should have all the elements that judo,bjj and even aikido has since thats where these arts come from which in a way should make it a more well rounded style of grappling that has standup throws and groundwork.

Yet I don't hear any fighters talk about or practice any form of japanese jujitsu.
Tim kennedy claimed JJJ

Im curios to know why there are no fighters with Japanese jujitsu background, I mean I reckon it should have all the elements that judo,bjj and even aikido has since thats where these arts come from which in a way should make it a more well rounded style of grappling that has standup throws and groundwork.

Yet I don't hear any fighters talk about or practice any form of japanese jujitsu.
Ares Black is a black belt in Japanese Jiu-jitsu.

In my experience, JJJ and Judo are less "well-rounded". All the guys I've rolled with were very strong in a limited number of positions, but seemed surprisingly oblivious of others. Most had horrible defense to back takes and back attacks, and looked amazed at what you can actually do in half guard. One of them cross-trains with us more regularly and always dominates me while rolling, but still relies on a limited number of attacks and paths to victory that he executes very well.

Back