Weidman's hype train will be derailed today

Explain to me the reasoning for the notion that The Chris would have no chance of beating Jones at LHW?

bigger , faster , better on the feat, only been taking down like twice, technically undefeated , number 1 p4p , reach advantage, beaten bigger opponents, and he usually finishes fights

I disagree. I do not think he would beat Jones, but it is not hype to presume a MW champion can defeat a LHW champion, even if that presumption is wrong.

Its a MW Champion who has fought 2 people in title fights, and has fought a total of 3 relevant MWs, vs a LHW Champion who has the longest title run in the most stacked divisions history, brutal finishes against 11 top LHWs, including 4 Legends. All but 2 of them finishes, and a reach/strength advantage that makes any striking approach a bad one.

Thats called hype.

This. I don't think Weidman would beat Jones either but given that we've never actually seen Weidman lose I don't think it's the most ludicrous idea ever. Whether I agree with it or not.

Most lucacris idea ever? No.

Foolish and literally based on pure speculation? Yes.

Just curious, were you completely against the idea of Silva vs Jones when it was hotly debated upon?

Not purely. I thought it was a bad matchup for Silva, but it was a lot more founded a match than this. Both guys had demolished legends and defended their titles against at least 4 different top contenders handily.

However, I was purely against the idea of Silva/GSP. That was not a good matchup imo.

Not purely. I thought it was a bad matchup for Silva, but it was a lot more founded a match than this. Both guys had demolished legends and defended their titles against at least 4 different top contenders handily.

However, I was purely against the idea of Silva/GSP. That was not a good matchup imo.

Well, I agree that Weidman/Jones is a stupid matchup. The former has only 2 title defenses whereas the latter has the most title defenses in LHW history. It'd be dumb for either party to accept it (Chris because there's a high chance he loses and Jones because beating Chris doesn't do much for his resume).

At the same time, from a purely stylistic point of view, Jones vs. Weidman is about 10x more competitive than Jones vs. Silva. That fight was just a one-sided mess that I cannot comprehend why it was considered a "super fight".

Silva vs. GSP I wasn't to keen on either. The size disparity was pretty hard to overlook, and both guys still had challengers in their division that would be left in the wind.

Only super fight I actually was throughly interested in and glad to witness was Aldo vs. Edgar.

Well, I agree that Weidman/Jones is a stupid matchup. The former has only 2 title defenses whereas the latter has the most title defenses in LHW history. It'd be dumb for either party to accept it (Chris because there's a high chance he loses and Jones because beating Chris doesn't do much for his resume).

At the same time, from a purely stylistic point of view, Jones vs. Weidman is about 10x more competitive than Jones vs. Silva. That fight was just a one-sided mess that I cannot comprehend why it was considered a "super fight".

Silva vs. GSP I wasn't to keen on either. The size disparity was pretty hard to overlook, and both guys still had challengers in their division that would be left in the wind.

Only super fight I actually was throughly interested in and glad to witness was Aldo vs. Edgar.

See, I agree completely with this.

bigger , faster , better on the feat, only been taking down like twice, technically undefeated , number 1 p4p , reach advantage, beaten bigger opponents, and he usually finishes fights

I don't think you know what the word "technically" means.

I like Weidman, don't think there's any hype, he's the best Middleweight there has ever been. I don't care for the "I told ya so" bumps though.

What's the deal in trying to argue that he could compete with Jones though? There are weight classes for reason, JBJs size advantage would be too much to handle.

I like Weidman, don't think there's any hype, he's the best Middleweight there has ever been. I don't care for the "I told ya so" bumps though.

You'll notice they happen when TS and others are being particularly single-minded, ignorant and/or hubristic. In this case TS was batting .667.

I'm a Weidman fan. I've been one since he beat Sakara in his fifth fight on short notice with relative ease. I've watched him since he was on Jordan Breen's radar as a blue chip prospect. I believed he was the man to dethrone Anderson well before he was in title contention. Ya, you might say he was my pick.

Yet it wasn't unreasonable to go with Machida here. Just do it sans the dysfunctional behavior or be ready for the "I told you so" bump.

Its a MW Champion who has fought 2 people in title fights, and has fought a total of 3 relevant MWs, vs a LHW Champion who has the longest title run in the most stacked divisions history, brutal finishes against 11 top LHWs, including 4 Legends. All but 2 of them finishes, and a reach/strength advantage that makes any striking approach a bad one.

Thats called hype.

No, it is not. And calling it hype and then whining about all the hype says a lot about what is wrong with a subset of MMA fans.

Jones has a far better resume than Weidman does. So did Anderson Silva. I think Jones wins this fight, but Weidman just beat a guy Jones beat and will likely face another one of Jones' high profile victims in his next fight. It makes all the sense in the world to start talking about the two fighting each other. That is the kind of thing I expect aficionadas to do.

I take hype to mean highly praising a fighter who has slight accomplishments based on perceived potential. Weidman has actual accomplishments. His last five fights have been against top five MWs.

No, it is not. And calling it hype and then whining about all the hype says a lot about what is wrong with a subset of MMA fans.

Jones has a far better resume than Weidman does. So did Anderson Silva. I think Jones wins this fight, but Weidman just beat a guy Jones beat and will likely face another one of Jones' high profile victims in his next fight. It makes all the sense in the world to start talking about the two fighting each other. That is the kind of thing I expect aficionadas to do.

I take hype to mean highly praising a fighter who has slight accomplishments based on perceived potential. Weidman has actual accomplishments. His last five fights have been against top five MWs.

He has fought 3 top 10 natural MWs in his career.

He is nowhere near Jones.

He has fought 3 top 10 natural MWs in his career.

He is nowhere near Jones.

I am going to use small words. I am going to use short sentences. I hope it helps.

I know Weidman's resume is not comparable to Jones'. This is why I said Weidman's resume is not as good as Jones' in the comment you quoted. It is possible to believe two men with unequal accomplishments could have a competitive fight. This is not hype.

Also, your three natural MWs comment is stupid. Weidman's last five fights have been against top MWs.

Apparently the hype was real TS. Love your thread here.

Against Silva and Machida, Weidman has won 8 of 9 rounds with 2 finishes.

That's impressive.

I am going to use small words. I am going to use short sentences. I hope it helps.

I know Weidman's resume is not comparable to Jones'. This is why I said Weidman's resume is not as good as Jones' in the comment you quoted. It is possible to believe two men with unequal accomplishments could have a competitive fight. This is not hype.

Also, your three natural MWs comment is stupid. Weidman's last five fights have been against top MWs.

The fact that Chris is even in that discussion is the product of hype.

As we all know, Chris' resume is not outstanding. So why are we comparing him to a fighter who is known as the greatest on the planet? Because of HYPE.

Actually at its purest form.

Im not saying Chris would get slaughtered, even though thats what I think would happen.

Im not saying it wouldnt be competitive, even though I dont think it would.

What Im saying is that whatever you think would happen in the fight, and regardless of weather you feel its rational or not, Chris hasnt done enough to suggest he deserves a widespread, drawn out discussion about if he could beat the greatest fighter ever from a weightclass above his.

In fact the only evidence in the matter would suggest that Chris would get finished based on JBJs past fights with MWs and Wrestlers at a size disadvantage.

Im not making a claim on weather that is what would happen, just that he hasnt warranted the conversation in any way yet, so the whole thing must be coming from some sort of immediate popularity that has been slightly exaggerated due to very recent success.

AKA HYPE.

Back