What is the best SNES game of all time?

Ha, I was scratching my head wondering why the guy only had nine games. But...no, not a huge Zelda fan as great as it was. I enjoyed Ocarina of Time the most. I think I actually played Link's Awakening more than any of the others on my Gameboy at swim meets, but nobody else seemed to like that one.

Links Awakening doesn't get talked about enough. I seriously never hear any mention of it. It was one of the few games i owned on the old school brick Gameboy, and i thought it was pretty awesome.

I remembering finding out you could shop lift from the old guys store and how if you went back he would somehow Palpatine shock your ass to death. Such innovation for an old Gameboy game.

Ha, I was scratching my head wondering why the guy only had nine games. But...no, not a huge Zelda fan as great as it was. I enjoyed Ocarina of Time the most. I think I actually played Link's Awakening more than any of the others on my Gameboy at swim meets, but nobody else seemed to like that one.

It wasn't even 9 games on the list at first. Dude only had the top 4 on there until a mod edited it.

Links Awakening doesn't get talked about enough. I seriously never hear any mention of it. It was one of the few games i owned on the old school brick Gameboy, and i thought it was pretty awesome.

I remembering finding out you could shop lift from the old guys store and how if you went back he would somehow Palpatine shock your ass to death. Such innovation for an old Gameboy game.

Link's Awakening is thoroughly underrated. It's sublimely existential and dark, and has lots of interesting puzzles and things to find. It's not my favourite in the series, but it really is a joy to play. The only thing they got wrong was randomized fast-travel through those little portals rather than by something you can immediately call upon. The ability to unequip your sword and shield, and instead equip two items allowed for some really interesting gameplay options, like making really long jumps with the pegasus boots and feather.

Donkey Kong Country!

I have to go with Street Fighter II from the list. Used to do tournaments with my cousins. Fun times!

I would have to say

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Zelda
3. FFVI
4. Super Mario Karts

Link's Awakening is thoroughly underrated. It's sublimely existential and dark, and has lots of interesting puzzles and things to find. It's not my favourite in the series, but it really is a joy to play. The only thing they got wrong was randomized fast-travel through those little portals rather than by something you can immediately call upon. The ability to unequip your sword and shield, and instead equip two items allowed for some really interesting gameplay options, like making really long jumps with the pegasus boots and feather.

Yeah the ending got me right in the childhood feels. I think there were 2 endings, one which the whole island was just a dream. Fucking head trip for a little kid.

Yeah the ending got me right in the childhood feels. I think there were 2 endings, one which the whole island was just a dream. Fucking head trip for a little kid.

The island was a dream the entire time. The second ending is if you don't lose any lives - when you wake up stuck on the driftwood, you see Marin flying above you.

It was remarkably mature. As you progress, the bosses tell you what's going to happen and that you should stop or everything will cease to exist. It's really weird and amazing.

Shocked Donkey Kong Country 2 is not an option. Still feel it was the best Snes game I have ever played.

Shocked Donkey Kong Country 2 is not an option. Still feel it was the best Snes game I have ever played.
Either Donkey Kong Country or Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Quest would probably fare better than Super Mario RPG or Super Castlevania IV. I'm a bit shocked that Super Mario Kart isn't getting more votes.

But HoF games are going to get left off any poll of 10 with this console:
Poll
  1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Final Fantasy VI
  3. Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
  4. Super CastleVania IV
  5. Super Mario World
  6. Super Mario Kart
  7. Super Mario RPG
  8. Super Metroid
  9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Omitted
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Quest
  • Final Fantasy II
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • F-Zero
  • Earthbound
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Killer Instinct
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Mario Paint
  • Mega Man X
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • NBA Jam Tournament Edition
  • NHL '94
  • Secret of Evermore
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Punch-Out
  • Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Tecmo Superbowl
  • TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
I mean, fuck, where does it end with the SNES?

Last edited:
I can't believe you listed all of those games and didn't even mention Shaq-Fu.

smw, dkc, sf2 - the one true triumvirate of the snes.

Either Donkey Kong Country or Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Quest would probably fare better than Super Mario RPG or Super Castlevania IV. I'm a bit shocked that Super Mario Kart isn't getting more votes.

But HoF games are going to get left off any poll of 10 with this console:
Star Fox
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Secret of Mana
Mega Man X
F-Zero
Earthworm Jim
Earthbound
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario All-Stars
Mario Paint, Contra III
Mortal Kombat II
Super Punch-Out
TMNT IV
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
And those are just native games. I mean, fuck, where does it end with the SNES?

Can you include DKC2?

It would corrupt the poll. People have already voted.

Understood. My vote is held out. I think one other person a few pages back agreed with me. That is 2 points for what it is worth. lol

5oiHNH6.jpg

Aww yiss, I'm about to find out real soon.

Super Metroid is probably the greatest game ever made, in my humble opinion. So of course it's the best on the SNES. Still holds up really well today even, I beat it a few months back and absolutely loved it.

Final Fantasy 3/6 is one of my favorite games, if not my favorite game itself.

I'm actually currently going through Chrono Trigger again. My favorite SNES game.

Back