News ‘Jacare’ Souza Released From UFC Contract After Submission Loss at UFC 262

Cruel end for a legend they gave no respect for years.

guy imo beat Rockhold to become Strikeforce champ.
Another funny looking non-American thrown to the junkyard by fat grape Dana from his throne.

Come on, this is a reach haha. The guy clearly needs to retire, 41yo 0-4, second arm break in his career after a bad KO, it's not a crazy thing to do. I believe he also has one of those expensive contracts like Overeem and doesn't have a huge fanbase. I do think Weidman should be cut too, but his injury was freakier and would make for worse optics and he might have some sort of personal relationship with Dana. That doesn't mean that letting Jacare go is wrong.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Might be harsh timing, but releasing him was the right thing to do. Really hope he retires now before anymore permanent injury is done to his body. I'll admit Jacare never got a fair shake in the UFC, but for his own good the promotion did right by him here.

I get the sentiment about letting go a great fighter like Jacare. But on the other side you have to credit the UFC for letting guys go that just can't compete at the top level anymore. Why take more damage and keep losing?? They let him go now, he can still make a choice to continue fighting elsewhere and sooner better than later.

The UFC did the dirty to list:
Jacare
Mark Hunt
Miguel Torres

I'll always remember his absolute destruction of Okami and Belfort. The guy had a close (and arguably won) fight with Yoel Romero. At the end of the day he probably had a decent(ish) contract and was on a 4 fight losing streak

It’s amazing to me that after all these years Jacare never fought for the UFC title. The StrikeForce merger was like 10 years ago. Crazy how everything ended up...

Come on, this is a reach haha. The guy clearly needs to retire, 41yo 0-4, second arm break in his career, it's not a crazy thing to do. I believe he also has one of those expensive contracts like Overeem and doesn't have a huge fanbase. I do think Weidman should probably be cut too, but his injury was freakier and would make for worse optics and he might have some sort of personal relationship with Dana. That doesn't mean that letting Jacare go is wrong.
Did I say he was a top fighter now?
I said it was a cruel end for a guy who should have been a well paid legend, not a dude on a stretcher for his last major league fight after 2 decades of being Top 10 and many where he could have held belts if promotions casting favorites wasn't a thing.

Tdude literally fought Jorge Patino and Storm Shlmenko in 2 of his first 3 fights in 2003 lol.

Pretty crappy to release him so quick but I guess it wouldn't do much good to keep him under contract. At least now he is free to negotiate.

Hate seeing the legends go out without any kind of farewell though. They put Jacare up against killers.
A lot of the guys we are seeing being released are guys who when they first signed were one of the top guys so the UFC locked them down with 5 fight contracts.

JDS:
upload_2021-5-20_13-19-19.png
Romero:
upload_2021-5-20_13-19-46.png
Jacare:
upload_2021-5-20_13-20-30.png

Overeem actually still has some fight left but I'm pretty sure he's in the top 5 paid fighters who aren't champ, maybe even the 1st. Coming off a loss it made sense.

tenor.gif

To me, Jacare was one of the most poorly handled fighters the UFC ever had. They got him at the tail end of his prime and they just let him sit around. It felt like after the SF acquisition, they could never consistently put fights in front of the guy.

He fought 6 times in his first 3 years, two of those against Chris fucking Camozzi when Jacare was easily a top 5 MW. And it had nothing to do with Jacare turning down fights. The UFC was literally just not signing him into top MW fights with any sort of consistency. When they occasionally did, he absolutely dominated. No one to this day spanked Mousasi the way Jacare did.

Feel bad for the guy. Hopefully (doubtfully) fans give him the respect he truly deserves.
The second Camozzi fight was because Yoel pulled out again. Late.

Back