Media “Tom Aspinall’s standup is on another level than I’ve seen on any MMA-fighter“ ~ Rico Verhoeven

Who’s going to win?

• Total voters
I won't lie my memory can be gloomy so I pulled it up quickly. Tom ate a big right hand immediately followed by a super hard leg kick from curtis, and then ate another right hand and left before his knee exploded from the kick tom threw.

So really Tom just took a couple shots being overly aggressive in the early moments of a big fight. So he fought "poorly" for twenty seconds before succumbing to a terrible Injury, nothing really there to tell you what a full fight would play out like.
I think that's just initial viewing feelings. My issue is with the narrative people use with that feeling as if Blaydes was dominating or was going to win, but like you said, nothing would have said how the fight would have played out.

And if you look at the action again under a microscope, this here is the FULL fight.

7lFjV0Q.gif

-Straight right lands under the chin to neck/chest area, followup hook to the armpit pushes Tom off.
-Hard leg kick, but mostly picked up.
-Two 1-2's both miss.
-Counter right is just off center, it either misses or grazes the side of Tom's head.
-The follow up jab maybe lands well or was maybe more just a push just as Tom is stepping down and getting injured.

So basically, like one leg kick and one jab landed, and the one kick was blocked about as much as it could be and the jab was same time as the injury, so it could have caused it or partly been because of it.

I'm not taking Curtis' W away, but this is like the most non-consequential action to ever happen in a victory we've ever seen, so the large contingent of "Blaydes was clearly going to win" people boggle the fuck out of me.

Tom has excellent skills but Pav fight instinct is hard to quantify other than he gets the job done. Pav seems stronger . Could go either way since both good , about even , lean towards Pav based on his deeper experience.

I think that's just initial viewing feelings. My issue is with the narrative people use with that feeling as if Blaydes was dominating or was going to win, but like you said, nothing would have said how the fight would have played out.

And if you look at the action again under a microscope, this here is the FULL fight.

7lFjV0Q.gif

-Straight right lands under the chin to neck/chest area, followup hook to the armpit pushes Tom off.
-Hard leg kick, but mostly picked up.
-Two 1-2's both miss.
-Counter right is just off center, it either misses or grazes the side of Tom's head.
-The follow up jab maybe lands well or was maybe more just a push just as Tom is stepping down and getting injured.

So basically, like one leg kick and one jab landed, and the one kick was blocked about as much as it could be and the jab was same time as the injury, so it could have caused it or partly been because of it.

I'm not taking Curtis' W away, but this is like the most non-consequential action to ever happen in a victory we've ever seen, so the large contingent of "Blaydes was clearly going to win" people boggle the fuck out of me.

You right you right

I guess he means any MMA fighter besides Poatan, Cro Cop, Mark Hunt, Semmy Schilt, Wonderboy, Israel Adesanya...

Which is fair because they were all high level professional strikers first before becoming full time MMA fighters

He probably also didn't spar most of those guys. I haven't watched the clip yet, but the way it comes across is that he is just talking about guys who he has 1 on 1 experience with, not just watching them.

Last edited:
If you listen to training partners always take with a grain of salt, you'd believe everyone was superman. We have to see how the fight plays out.

Haha what a bullshit statement

Aspinall got wrecked standing up by Curtis Blaydes

Pavlovich will maul him. He better tries his best to take him down as fast as possible or he will be sleeping quickly

Tom has fast hands for HW.. he will do well I think against Pav

Haha what a bullshit statement

Aspinall got wrecked standing up by Curtis Blaydes

Pavlovich will maul him. He better tries his best to take him down as fast as possible or he will be sleeping quickly

Concur.
Blades look like he was going to knock him out.

Aspinall keeps his head too rigid — and with Pavlovich's 85-inch reach, Aspinall's biggest key to victory is to beat Sergei is to take him down, and maul him, like Overeem did.

Pavlovich is gonna KO him and make it look effortless.

I don't understand how anyone that watched that fight can think this, the fight essentially never really got started. :eek:, it's like one person says something about the fight and then everyone repeats that narrative.
Hmm like Conor vs Aldo...Jorge vs Asken...your logic says those fights never really started...am I doing this right?

Lets discuss after the fight :)
I am telling you, if he choose to stand he will sleep in the 1st round
We ARE discussing after the fight. You said Aspinall got wrecked standing against Blaydes and I'm telling you that's poppycock of the highest.

I even highlighted how wrong that was like 5 posts before yours

Last edited:
Aspinall is a better striker than Pavlovich. He's probably the best overall striker in the division, he's as fast as Gane with more power.

But since this is heavyweight, Pavlovich has a pretty damn good chance to win.

Back