Opinion “Women are not paid their fair share” President Biden

Lol the NBA isn't a men's league, it's an open league. Women can play in it and make top league dollars. The fact that they have their own league, that is completely dependent on the open league for its survival shows forced equity is on full display
Yep. Same with the NFL. Any woman who is good enough to make a team can play there and earn a lot of money. I wonder why they don't.

Agreed. That’s why I said I wished our politicians didn’t gaslight the populous.

Clearly, this was in reference to the Clark contract. However, by keeping it vague, it perpetuates the idea of a gender wage gap to keep people angry.
There is, in fact, a gender wage gap, though. There is dispute about the size and causes of it. Republicans have been trained to kneejerk outrage at any mention of it so the real issues don't get discussed.

I'd imagine Caitlin Clark is going to make a fair amount on jerseys ads etc. The league can create stars, the problem is not every girl will be one and the league simply just doesn't bring in enough to pay them life changing money

i think its more of a WNBA equation of greed instead of a sexism thing.

I can attest. My wife has a doctorate and makes less than some males with lesser degrees that have less seniority
On the flipside, I remember taking a job in Boston and found out my coworker (woman) made 7k more than me and I had my masters and 16 publications. But she had industry experience and likely negotiated. I took the offer as I really wanted that job. We joke about it now that we are both out of the industry. Wife sounds like she should be pushing for a raise tho. Or find another spot

This nonsense has been debunked so many times... Did Joe really try to pull this tired ass rabbit out of his hat again to pander for votes?

She’ll make, and likely already has made, significantly more money in endorsements than what the contract pays. Playing in the WNBA will just be a necessity to get endorsements more than a source of real income for her.

Is there even a single trans athlete in any professional sports league?

Yes... a few, not many. Soccer, WNBA and MMA

And several in International and Olympics sports

Its at a crossroads though. Seems like some organizations are taking steps to ban Transwoman from competing against women.

Yes... a few, not many. Soccer, WNBA and MMA

And several in International and Olympics sports

Its at a crossroads though. Seems like some organizations are taking steps to ban Transwoman from competing against women.

These seem like mostly amateur athletes, tbh.

Olympics and all that stuff is amateur.

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal either way, at least not as big of a deal as the poster I quoted implied.

Like one trans competing in an amateur or youth league ruins the sport. A lot of the examples you provided especially at the higher levels were not even transwoman, but transmen.

I came for the video of Cindy "Roy Jones Jr" Dandois, and I am leaving very disappointed.

These seem like mostly amateur athletes, tbh.

Olympics and all that stuff is amateur.

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal either way, at least not as big of a deal as the poster I quoted implied.

Like one trans competing in an amateur or youth league ruins the sport. A lot of the examples you provided especially at the higher levels were not even transwoman, but transmen.

Agreed... But there's definitely some high profile examples. And the college ones are no less tragic if you're a female who's scholarship was taken by a Transwoman.

However, it may make the WNBA a bit more watchable if every team was allowed to have one dude or transwoman playing. Someone who could actually dunk a basketball without having to be a 6'8" center with a 6" vertical.

This is the best 5 Dunks in the WNBA? or The only 5 Dunks in the WNBA?

Meanwhile... 5'7" Spud Webb

aeUUOEP.gif

I think Clarke, Bruekers, Brink and Angel are exactly what the sport needs to increase viewership. The problem is the game itself. When you watch, it is sub standard play compared to the mens game. So the only reason men would watch is for sex appeal. The WNBA has NO sex appeal. No one is attracted to 6'4" tattooed black lesbians besides....other 6'4" black lesbians. Womens Volleyball has it as does Tennis....and the game is watchable. For some reason women's basketball just doesn't match up, and it isn't just the dunks. It's way slower, way more air balls, bad passes, tunrovers......So maybe the players I mentioned can create buzz, we know Clarke can.

There is, in fact, a gender wage gap, though. There is dispute about the size and causes of it. Republicans have been trained to kneejerk outrage at any mention of it so the real issues don't get discussed.
What is the gap?

What is the reason behind it?

This issue is related to Caitlin Clark.

Caitlin Clark is the Ronda Rousey of the WNBA , Joe

Agreed... But there's definitely some high profile examples. And the college ones are no less tragic if you're a female who's scholarship was taken by a Transwoman.

However, it may make the WNBA a bit more watchable if every team was allowed to have one dude or transwoman playing. Someone who could actually dunk a basketball without having to be a 6'8" center with a 6" vertical.

This is the best 5 Dunks in the WNBA? or The only 5 Dunks in the WNBA?

Meanwhile... 5'7" Spud Webb

aeUUOEP.gif

A bunch of tall ogres wowing feminists with rim-grazers. Meanwhile, 5'10" Allen Iverson here does a putback dunk on 6'11" Marcus Camby and it's just another Tuesday night.

What is the gap?

What is the reason behind it?

This issue is related to Caitlin Clark.
As I said, there is a legitimate dispute about the size of the gap and about the reasons. See the link @nostradumbass posted and lied about for some discussion about it (not the final word of course).

From the piece:

Few experts dispute that there is a wage gap, but differences in the life choices of men and women — such as women tending to leave the workforce when they have children — make it difficult to make simple comparisons.

The president is relying on a simple calculation from the Census Bureau: a ratio of the difference between women’s median earnings and men’s median earnings. (The median is the middle value, with an equal number of full-time workers earning more and earning less.) That leaves a pay gap of 23 cents.
But the Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that the gap is 19 cents when looking at weekly wages. The gap is even smaller when you look at hourly wages — it is 14 cents — but then not every wage earner is paid on an hourly basis, so that statistic excludes salaried workers.

It is worth noting that the gap can go in the other direction as well. Heidi Hartman, president of the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, noted that the gap widens to 27.6 cents if part-time workers were included. She also said that in a 2004 survey, IWPR calculated that across 15 years, prime age women earned just 38 percent of what prime age men earned–an apparent wage gap of 62 percent.

Since women in general work fewer hours than men in a year, the statistics used by the White House may be less reliable for examining the key focus of the proposed Paycheck Fairness Act — wage discrimination. For instance, annual wage figures do not take into account the fact that teachers — many of whom are women — have a primary job that fills nine months out of the year. The weekly wage is more of an apples-to-apples comparison, but it does not include as many income categories.

June O’Neill, a former director of the Congressional Budget Office who has been a critic of the 77-cent statistic, has noted that the wage gap is affected by a number of factors, including that the average woman has less work experience than the average man and that more of the weeks worked by women are part-time rather than full-time. Women also tend to leave the work force for periods in order to raise children, seek jobs that may have more flexible hours but lower pay and choose careers that tend to have lower pay.

Indeed, BLS data show that women who do not get married have virtually no wage gap; they earn 96 cents for every dollar a man makes.

Goes on. I'm not doing original research on this so I'd rely on the same sources. But the headline is just that there is a gap in earnings between men and women (men make more). Some portion of it is likely due to difference choices men and women make.

Back