Crime “Words alone” are no reason to kill, Man gets 10 years for punching woman over N-word

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the facts of the story as I read them, society won that day.

Wait....seriously?

He threw one punch after being called a word meant to dehumanize him. A word that he had undoubtedly heard countless times in his life to dismiss him as subhuman trash.

Tragic all around, but 10 years for throwing one punch that would not conceivably have been predicted as killing a person....that sounds about right.

A word he probably sang along to in rap lyrics.

These people were never taught sticks and stones may break. Your bones. But words can never hurt you.

Take a life with your hands. You give your up.

Wait....seriously?

He threw one punch after being called a word meant to dehumanize him. A word that he had undoubtedly heard countless times in his life to dismiss him as subhuman trash.

Tragic all around, but 10 years for throwing one punch that would not conceivably have been predicted as killing a person....that sounds about right.

Pretty much all slurs and insults are intended to dehumanise.

It's almost a guarantee that he's been called the "N" word (I hate using that term. Sounds fucking childish) by buddies more than by people trying to hurt him. The difference is that the colour of her skin made her use of the word inappropriate - which is ridiculous on the face of it. If I kill someone for calling me a cunty piece of shit, I deserve punishment.

The dude's an adult, and large one at that - growing up and taking responsibility is kind of advisable.

That all said, I think the sentence is fair. He showed remorse and maturity by owning up to the crime when he discovered it was more serious than he'd assumed, and lenience for that seems right.

Wait....seriously?

I doubt she actually called him that. Its possible but unlikely not that it should matter one iota. Far more likely he just came up with that as an excuse after the fact than she had such little regard for her own safety to say that to his face,

Wait....seriously?

LOL @ this cucklord white knighting a subhuman thug who attacked a WOMAN, killing her with 1 blow. You don't attack people, because, these things can happen and you're a 1st world adult. What does it matter that he threw ONE punch to a super drunk woman? You are also assuming that he's been called this countless times in his life (lol doubtful). She may not have even said it.

10 years for killing someone over a word that may not have even be said? Naw. Fuck that SUBHUMAN trash.

ITT white guys don't understand how a word that means nothing to them can mean something to others.

Tragic story all round.

I am torn on this. Clearly he was out of line. However, she caused the conflict by saying the hateful word. Understandably he flew into a rage.

That said, the punch was uncalled for and he must be punished. At least it sounds like he shows remorse. Thats a first step. Remember, this will likely scar him for life.

I think the sentence is too much. She started the confrontation by committing a hate crime towards him. He clearly overreacted though. I would say maybe a 3 year suspended sentence and probstion would be more fitting.

And though This should never happen, it serves as a lesson that words have consequences. There were no winners in this
Ban anyone who falls for this for serious debate @Lethal

On the facts of the story as I read them, society won that day.

One woman dead who was drunk and out of control, who we know nothing about.

One man likely going to jail for 10 years.

Dozens of lives shattered with the loss. I'd say society lost.

A relative slap on the wrist for the indefensible violent murder of a 39 yo woman in cold blood. Dat dere racist criminal justice system at it ageen up to no good

EDIT: But hey, on the bright side, Robert Coleman -- after serving his 4 or 5 years of the 10 -- will probably go to college and become a doctor who cures cancer or something

Last edited:
A ten year stretch here would probably see him out on probation in six , what are the chances he will serve the full term over there? .

Prosecutors claimed the 39-year-old woman did not speak enough English to use such a slur.

LOL!!!!!! She knew what she was saying. She didn’t deserve to die, but let’s be honest, say :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, expect to get punched.

Interesting conversation
I wonder.....
What if he said something about her ethnicity or made a hateful comment about women first and she just said something in response, would that negate the argument that he was enraged to do this?

Also, I wouldnt even pay any mind to someone who is so drunk that they're probably hallucinating.

Isn't it about time El anciano got IP banned? He's clearly a troll looking to stir shit up in every thread he enters.

As for the N word being used as any kind of justification for acting out? Grow up and quit it with the double standards. It's not a magic word, nor can it make people dance like marionettes.

Wait....seriously?

You can't be serious

Hitting a woman for verbally offending you is never acceptable. Its a typical case of a young black male using violence to solve an issue. Which is really sad, given what its claimed she said, she was a scumbag. But it doesn't warrant physial assault. The ghy needs to be locked up.

10 years seems like a sensible length sentence given the information. Sadly, what chance does he have of anything good coming of this. He'll end up part of a gang or worse.

The guy is obviously a piece of crap that deserves to sit in prison. The Police Officer "recognized him". He had prior interactions with Police and appears to have an arrest record (https://eapps.courts.state.va.us/gdcourts/nameSearch.do ) . The guy shows a pattern of bad choices and low impulse control. You don't throw that punch if you have your shit together. I've been cut off in traffic and called names before in heated situations. I have too much to lose so I don't get violent. I simply walk away. Then again, I have a career, a house, and a life that I enjoy outside of incarceration.

Let's stop pretending that the "N-word" negates the ability to think critically and that people "deserve what they get" for being called that. It's an offensive word. Get over it.

I don’t know if the sentence is enough. From a gut level, it feels too light. I’ve been around enough violence to understand it is almost always reactionary and in response to words. It’s not only racial to respond poorly to “bad words”, but it’s always stupid and stubborn people who decide certain things can’t be said to them. We all agree it’s stupid except when the bad words are racist, then a certain segment of people see it as justified, some see it as righteous. Words are words though and at the end of the day if any word triggers you to act violently, towards a woman no less, and you end up doing serious damage or killing her, you aren’t emotionally stable enough to be around other people.

The general feeling seems to be that once something race related is said from a white person towards any minority, a beating should be expected and is fair. I disagree completely and we have to change that narrative. No insults justify violence.

Didn't it say that the victim's BAC was .357?

Either way, that's an incredible amount.

.357? Thats deadly

16188-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back