✝️ R.I.P. BIGWAVERIDER The Greatest Sherbro of All Time!

didnt have much to do with him , but always loved his wicked shoops.
Talented and seemed like a genuinely nice bloke.
RIP fella

Sad news. He was one of the highlights of this place, he gave me numerous laughs through the years. His devotion to this place was special and he obviously spent a lot of energy in the creation of all the shoops he made. So many great ones. A true shoop artist. RIP and thanks for the laughs.

OK, I'm still struggling with this news, but thought FWIW I'd share some further thoughts.

I've been lurking around Sherdog daily since 2005, but stay pretty inconspicuous. Anyway, way back when BWR first started to learn how to shoop I'd offer suggestions and advice and his skills very quickly surpassed mine. As proud as I was at seeing him become soooo damn good at something that he soooo enjoyed doing, I REALLY appreciated how complimentary he always was with me. Even though we both knew he could run circles around me in PS, he'd still ask my opinion and ask for my thoughts on what could be improved.

See, for those that don't know, BWR wasn't just active here on Sherdog, but also was very active on many other sites. For instance, there are websites that run shoop contests (with prizes) and he was very involved in a lot of those. And being BWR, his talent was blatantly obvious and thus he won a LOT of contests throughout the years.

Just as an example, on one site he submitted entries to 97 contests, and to no one's surprise his results were great. He won 71, took second 14 times, and finished third 9 times. Doing the math, he placed in the top 3 97% of the time, and outright won 73% of the contests he entered. That's straight up God tier results! (and well deserved)
[Link to his profile on just one of the contest sites he was a member of: http://www.pxleyes.com/profile/BWR/]

But it wasn't JUST his talent, as he was so much more than just amazing shoop skills. Over the course of almost a decade (since he first joined Sherdog) I built a friendship with BWR, but it was really his humbleness and kindness that made me love him.

No matter how crap someone's skills were, he ALWAYS had a kind word and a focus on the positive. He'd also offer help, suggestions, and massive support constantly. The only reason I ever did any shoops on Sherdog was because of his urging and encouragement.

And, his sense of humor was always bang on hilarious. For instance, we went back and forth for a couple of days fine tuning this entry of his into a contest (keep in mind, it was all his talent and skill, I just cheered him on and would ask questions to get him pondering - all credit for the good goes to BWR!)

WyPoY63.jpg

However, in the midst of all this back and forth and tweaked version after tweaked version, one of my dumb questions prompted his response of:

untitled-2-png.826497

So not only did he spend his time making me laugh, he spent time drawing and UL'ing exactly what he knew would work on me! Hell, his avatar from one of those other sites still makes me smile every time I see it (and no, he did not always go by the name BWR!):

20210104191944.jpg

[Shit. Now I want a t-shirt with that image on it!)

And his selflessness with his time was unlimited! The amount of hours he spent daily making everyone feel like they matter and are important... I just don't have the words.

BWR is the kind of guy that makes you feel glad to be alive and he has a way of making you feel like he's super appreciative of you spending time with him. Like I was doing him a favor, when in fact it was I who was blessed to get to spend time with HIM!

As corny as it sounds, it's like he knew what would make YOU the happiest, and then he'd do exactly that! Need a critique? He'd give you one that helped more than you ever could have hope for. Need a laugh? He knew just how to get you rolling! Want to waste hours doing essentially nothing? He's right there with you, and all the while you feel like you are the most important person alive. Damn, I'm gonna miss him!

Frankly, I don't feel comfortable posting much on Sherdog with this account (and my one attempt to open a different one to post more freely from was denied) but regardless, BWR always made me keep coming back daily (OK, mostly hourly), for years, and years, and years. And I did so willingly if for no other reason than to see if I had a DM from him!

I've been around long enough, am old enough, and value my time enough, to not want to bother with trolls or people I don't like. Sherdog has far too few good people (see my sig), and losing BWR drastically reduces that number!

I'm rambling and posting way more than I probably should, so I'll try to wrap this post up.

Back when his father was first sick (before he got better, than worse...) we had a lot of back and forth conversations (my wife has ongoing health problems and so I tried to do what little I could to help them make a shit situation a little bit better - not sure I did but BWR made me feel like I helped). Anyway, I had done an old shoop back in the original Joe Rogan Shoop thread that he always said he loved, and so I updated it for him and his dad. He said it made him smile during a difficult time, and I hope that was true (and not just BWR being BWR and saying what would make ME feel good).

Anyway, too much rambling and without BWR, Sherdog isn't fun.

0rvNqL7.gif

BWR, you and PapaBWR get your reunion on, and when I get there I'll be immensely happy to join!

I remember checking out one MS Paint competition thread and laughing at the pictures. They were, at least the majority of them, well thought out and clumsily made (yeah that’s MS Paint for you).. Except one. One was clearly a country mile ahead of the rest, that wasn’t a joke.

At first I posted a question in there, asking why it was OK to cheat and not use just Paint since it was a ’Paint only’ type of competition. I said that one of them clearly wasn’t and couldn’t be a product of MS Paint, no matter what. The majority seemed to think it was, though, so… Who knows. I just know the internet is full of crap and that failed the eye test, one hundred percent.

After the race was over I received a PM from BWR, who had seen my rant about one ”paint artist cheating”. It was his piece. He had made a youtube video, step by step, talking through how he made his piece. He never got defensive, he never called me out on it, he handled it like an adult. I felt like an idiot, but that wasn’t the point he was making. I was the child, he was the adult and this was a lesson learned for me.

<5>

I sincerely apologised and made a post in the thread where I withdrew all my ”accusations” and told I was in the wrong here. Clearly there are LEVELS to this stuff! Hats off and hail to the king, baby.

<RomeroSalute>

OK, I'm still struggling with this news, but thought FWIW I'd share some further thoughts.

I've been lurking around Sherdog daily since 2005, but stay pretty inconspicuous. Anyway, way back when BWR first started to learn how to shoop I'd offer suggestions and advice and his skills very quickly surpassed mine. As proud as I was at seeing him become soooo damn good at something that he soooo enjoyed doing, I REALLY appreciated how complimentary he always was with me. Even though we both knew he could run circles around me in PS, he'd still ask my opinion and ask for my thoughts on what could be improved.

See, for those that don't know, BWR wasn't just active here on Sherdog, but also was very active on many other sites. For instance, there are websites that run shoop contests (with prizes) and he was very involved in a lot of those. And being BWR, his talent was blatantly obvious and thus he won a LOT of contests throughout the years.

Just as an example, on one site he submitted entries to 97 contests, and to no one's surprise his results were great. He won 71, took second 14 times, and finished third 9 times. Doing the math, he placed in the top 3 97% of the time, and outright won 73% of the contests he entered. That's straight up God tier results! (and well deserved)
[Link to his profile on just one of the contest sites he was a member of: http://www.pxleyes.com/profile/BWR/]

But it wasn't JUST his talent, as he was so much more than just amazing shoop skills. Over the course of almost a decade (since he first joined Sherdog) I built a friendship with BWR, but it was really his humbleness and kindness that made me love him.

No matter how crap someone's skills were, he ALWAYS had a kind word and a focus on the positive. He'd also offer help, suggestions, and massive support constantly. The only reason I ever did any shoops on Sherdog was because of his urging and encouragement.

And, his sense of humor was always bang on hilarious. For instance, we went back and forth for a couple of days fine tuning this entry of his into a contest (keep in mind, it was all his talent and skill, I just cheered him on and would ask questions to get him pondering - all credit for the good goes to BWR!)

WyPoY63.jpg

However, in the midst of all this back and forth and tweaked version after tweaked version, one of my dumb questions prompted his response of:

untitled-2-png.826497

So not only did he spend his time making me laugh, he spent time drawing and UL'ing exactly what he knew would work on me! Hell, his avatar from one of those other sites still makes me smile every time I see it (and no, he did not always go by the name BWR!):

20210104191944.jpg

And his selflessness with his time was unlimited! The amount of hours he spent daily making everyone feel like they matter and are important... I just don't have the words.

BWR is the kind of guy that makes you feel glad to be alive and he has a way of making you feel like he's super appreciative of you spending time with him. Like I was doing him a favor, when in fact it was I who was blessed to get to spend time with HIM!

As corny as it sounds, it's like he knew what would make YOU the happiest, and then he'd do exactly that! Need a critique? He'd give you one that helped more than you ever could have hope for. Need a laugh? He knew just how to get you rolling! Want to waste hours doing essentially nothing? He's right there with you, and all the while you feel like you are the most important person alive. Damn, I'm gonna miss him!

Frankly, I don't feel comfortable posting much on Sherdog with this account (and my one attempt to open a different one to post more freely from was denied) but regardless, BWR always made me keep coming back daily (OK, mostly hourly), for years, and years, and years. And I did so willingly if for no other reason than to see if I had a DM from him!

I've been around long enough, am old enough, and value my time enough, to not want to bother with trolls or people I don't like. Sherdog has far too few good people (see my sig), and losing BWR drastically reduces that number!

I'm rambling and posting way more than I probably should, so I'll try to wrap this post up.

Back when his father was first sick (before he got better, than worse...) we had a lot of back and forth conversations (my wife has ongoing health problems and so I tried to do what little I could to help them make a shit situation a little bit better - not sure I did but BWR made me feel like I helped). Anyway, I had done an old shoop back in the original Joe Rogan Shoop thread that he always said he loved, and so I updated it for him and his dad. He said it made him smile during a difficult time, and I hope that was true (and not just BWR being BWR and saying what would make ME feel good).

0rvNqL7.gif

BWR, you and PapaBWR get your reunion on, and when I get there I'll be immensely happy to join!

It isn't too much rambling. This post is indicative of the person he was. He would always offer to show me how to shoop and I just work so damn much I never took him up on it. I should have. As talented as he was kind and giving.

Thank you for posting this by the way.

Wow, what you said about my brother-in-law is so very beautiful. BWR (Spyke) was everything all of you Sherbros experienced with him and more. He was truly a gentle and caring soul. We are all shocked and devastated. My name is Agape' and he has one brother named Bryan ( and two sisters) who is my husband. BWR truly was a genius. In honor of him, I made a profile and joined your news letter. This makes me feel his presence and I am so glad you all are here. We, his family, thank all of you for your love and emotional support. Spyke would love to see you Sherbros all carry on. I believe he will be watching. Love to you all. Catch you on the other side BWR our hero! I don't know what a shoop is, but I guess I'm about to findout...lol...

WyPoY63.jpg

untitled-2-png.826497

20210104191944.jpg

0rvNqL7.gif

I ran out of likes today, but if I had one, you’d get it.

Back