10 years ago today - Chuck-Wand and GSP-Hughes 3

ralphus1

It's hard to be a saint in the city
@Gold
Reaction score
Not to mention Machida choking out Soko. Plus, Clementi-Guillard was entertaining.

Almost forgot how this card actually lived up to the hype.

Fun fact: all 3 big winners that night are blackbelts in karate: Chuck, GSP, and (of course) Machida.

Chuck/Wand was one my most anticipated fights of all time. All the debate for YEARS on here about who would win between the two. I was always a Chuck guy and always thought he'd win, but damn if Wand didn't have me worried several times in that fight. The whole room full of people I was watching the fight with were all on their feet screaming at the tv for Chuck. Even people who didn't follow the sport. I made sure to fill everybody in on exactly how big of a deal that fight was just before it started. Good times man.

Chuck/Wand was one my most anticipated fights of all time. All the debate for YEARS on here about who would win between the two. I was always a Chuck guy and always thought he'd win, but damn if Wand didn't have me worried several times in that fight. The whole room full of people I was watching the fight with were all on their feet screaming at the tv for Chuck. Even people who didn't follow the sport. I made sure to fill everybody in on exactly how big of a deal that fight was just before it started. Good times man.
That fight was bigger than any belt.

Somehow MMA was better back then. Not in the skills sense - I guess most of today's top 10 fighters beat that time's champions - but more enjoyable because it was more raw, unpredictable, and not oversaturated.

Then again, I only started watching regularly in mid-2008, so maybe it's just that watching those old cards always is interesting for me.

I see the Chuck and Wand fight as the big fucking bastard blow-out of an entire era. And what a fucking wrap party that was!

10 years... jesus I'm getting old, that's just depressing.

Great card though.

Crazy that this fight was 10 years ago. People spent years salivating over the possibility of that fight somehow happening one day. Hard to believe so much time has gone by.

Back then, UFC cards were still actual "events." You spent weeks, maybe months, with certain fights/cards circled on your calendar. Not just you, but most of your friends as well. And then on the night of the card, it was a party. A bunch of people gathered around the TV all invested in every single fight.

Now, these same people I used to watch fights with can't name one champion in any division. God I miss the old days.

Fuck me, 10 years already? Where the fuck did the time go.

Goldberg: "Sokoudjou is a huge star in Japan."
Joe Silva: "This isn't Japan."

Machida is half Japanese and started his career in Japan; Soko only had one fight against Arona. You fucking goofs!

I was going to post this. I was looking foward to it all month and was a solid fight Chuck v Wand

that was 10 years ago? holy fuck I have been following this sport longer than I thought.

edit: about 14 years of being a hardcore fan. love this crazy sport

I just remember being with my friends and wilding out when Liddell took Silva down...

Back