2017 Green Bay Packers thread. Do we have a defense? Hell no

But the offense has to at least have a respectable run game though. Last thing we want is another 2015 situation where opposing defenses start stacking the box and daring us to pass. Something like in 2013 and 2014 will suffice, imo.

Speaking of Rodgers' quick release, I really hope we see more of that style of an offensive attack where Rodgers doesn't have to dance around in the pocket every other play because guys aren't getting open.

That 23 yard run from Hill was boss. I'm thinking he might push for Joe's spot.

The only chance defenses have against Rodgers on a good day is to jam the receivers and use an all out rush to try to get to Rodgers. You can't run against that either and it's foolish to try to force the run. Rodgers has to buy time for the receivers to break free. Swing passes and screen passes can replace the running game to slow down the rush. Bennet gives him another big strong target that will be difficult to jam at the line.

I'd like to see Hill in the backfield to be an option halfback. Rodgers rolls to one side drawing the defense, throws back to the opposite side to Hill who can throw or run. Not just as a trick play but as an every down threat. Montgomery can throw the ball as well and has said he would like an opportunity.

I remember they tried a trick play with Cobb throwing down the field during that shootout against the Giants in December of 2011. Hasn't been tried since, IIRC. But having Hill involved in that type of play would actually be very interesting.

But nah, not conservative enough for McCarthy.

Anyone notice Cobb's doppelgänger on the Skins sidelines yesterday?

gHX067F.jpg

Fucking traitor, I say.

I remember they tried a trick play with Cobb throwing down the field during that shootout against the Giants in December of 2011. Hasn't been tried since, IIRC. But having Hill involved in that type of play would actually be very interesting.

But nah, not conservative enough for McCarthy.

Yah, when the Packers get a lead he goes into that run mentality and the defense knows it's coming so they stack the line.

So we've been fed the "kool aid" since 2011,"the defense will improve, what do you think, I think it will probably still be bad ,no where near top 15, at least it looks like there will be less UDFAS on defense this year, hope I'm wrong

Last edited:
The pass defense was ranked 10th and 6th in both 2014 and 2015, then plummeted to 31st in 2016. The same thing happened from 2009/2010 to 2011. Two solid years then a huge drop-off.

If the secondary isn't ravaged with injuries and guys aren't playing out of position; the pass defense will probably jump back up to the top 10. Pass rush is a worse case though. If both Clay and Perry stay healthy everything will be just fine. If one or both of those guys go down then you are praying for other guys like Lowry, Fackrell and Elliott to step up.

The safeties are going to ball the fuck out, especially if they don't have give the corners too much help over the top and can rely on their instincts - jumping routes and coming up to play the run.

If this team isn't badly injured then I think the defense will in fact rank in the top 10.

Why does Mike McCarthy look like he's been punched in the face several times??? His face is legit fucked up.

I've searched for an explanation but found none. Did a player hit him or something?

Why does Mike McCarthy look like he's been punched in the face several times??? His face is legit fucked up.

I've searched for an explanation but found none. Did a player hit him or something?

Probably told Capers you fuck up with this defense you are done.

Dom has a mean left hook.

The pass defense was ranked 10th and 6th in both 2014 and 2015, then plummeted to 31st in 2016. The same thing happened from 2009/2010 to 2011. Two solid years then a huge drop-off.

If the secondary isn't ravaged with injuries and guys aren't playing out of position; the pass defense will probably jump back up to the top 10. Pass rush is a worse case though. If both Clay and Perry stay healthy everything will be just fine. If one or both of those guys go down then you are praying for other guys like Lowry, Fackrell and Elliott to step up.

The safeties are going to ball the fuck out, especially if they don't have give the corners too much help over the top and can rely on their instincts - jumping routes and coming up to play the run.

If this team isn't badly injured then I think the defense will in fact rank in the top 10.
Literally how will they have a top 10 pass defense? The #1 cb couldn't start in Jacksonville and the #2 is a rookie

The Safety group is fuckin sick but they cant save the entire secondary

House was unhappy because they changed the scheme from press man to more zone over in Jacksonville. He fits in Caper's scheme a hell of a lot better and will be a revelation covering the opposing teams number one receiver as opposed to Gunter. King will obviously have his fair share of mistakes and growing pains, but I think having House back will really help in that regard.

A healthy Rollins in the slot should be able to pickup where he left off in his rookie season and Hawkins looks to be working his way up the ranks, slowly but surely.

Damarious Randall? Got nothing on him. Hopefully he rebounds, but I ain't counting on him being gangbusters all of a sudden.

At the end of the day it's about staying relatively healthy throughout the season; without an entire position group being decimated by injury. Pass defense was ranked 6th in 2015, only a couple of years ago. It can be done again.

That's because Shields was a legit #1 corner. Once he went down the rest were exposed. Everybody hopes House can fill that gap, but who knows

How's the running back situation panning out, with Ty hurt and 5 rookies hitting the line and falling down?

Ty actually practiced recently and made some improvements in the pass protection drills.

It will probably be a running back by committee approach with the trio of Ty/Williams/Jones.

The running backs didn't look too bad considering the offensive line is crap. Rodgers had one of his slightly off games.

Would have been nice to see Rodgers play a bit more, but with Spriggs in there it wasn't worth it.

Damarious Randall looked a lot better from the little I saw of the game. He was getting picked on quite a bit but was at least in pretty tight coverage.

Ankle injury.

Thompson kicking the tires on Ahmad Brooks makes me wonder how serious the injury to Perry really is.

Back