2019 was the last great year of UFC

jjoaogbs

The Heisenberg of the Desert
@Yellow
Reaction score
Yo, listen up! Let me tell you why 2019 was the last great year of MMA fighting. First off, we had some major matchups that got everybody hyped up. Remember when Israel Adesanya and Kelvin Gastelum went toe-to-toe in a battle for the interim middleweight title? That fight was straight fire, man. And let's not forget about the epic rematch between Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier for the heavyweight title. That fight had everything - heart, skill, and drama.

But it wasn't just the big fights that made 2019 so great. We had some seriously talented fighters come up and make a name for themselves. Look at Jorge Masvidal, for example. He had an incredible year, knocking out Darren Till, Ben Askren, and then winning the BMF belt against Nate Diaz. And then there's Israel Adesanya, who became the undisputed middleweight champion after a dominant performance against Robert Whittaker.

But here's the thing, since then, things just haven't been the same. We've had some great fights, no doubt, but they just haven't had that same energy and excitement. The COVID-19 pandemic messed up the schedules, and some of the fighters just haven't been performing at the same level. Plus, some of the big names have either retired or moved on to other things.

So, while we're always hopeful for more epic fights and incredible performances, 2019 was truly the last year where everything just came together perfectly in the world of MMA.

GrouchyConsciousBlackbird-size_restricted.gif

I don't organize fights by years in my head too well, so I can't say I totally agree but the past few years have felt off for some reason, been watching most consistently since 2015-ish

It could be that with covid, I was following the hype for big fights more obsessively, but many of the best fight cards felt like letdowns (especially in UAE).

And fighter performance has definitely been fucked up by Dana's love affair with Apex. Also probably affected by figuring out optimal training regimens while dealing with travel restrictions, closed gyms, limited partners, covid itself, etc.

I'm going with 2017
MM flying armbar
GSP beat Bisping
Anderson even snuck a win in vs Brunson
The last year of the UFC GOATs

Yo, listen up! Let me tell you why 2019 was the last great year of MMA fighting. First off, we had some major matchups that got everybody hyped up. Remember when Israel Adesanya and Kelvin Gastelum went toe-to-toe in a battle for the interim middleweight title? That fight was straight fire, man. And let's not forget about the epic rematch between Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier for the heavyweight title. That fight had everything - heart, skill, and drama.

But it wasn't just the big fights that made 2019 so great. We had some seriously talented fighters come up and make a name for themselves. Look at Jorge Masvidal, for example. He had an incredible year, knocking out Darren Till, Ben Askren, and then winning the BMF belt against Nate Diaz. And then there's Israel Adesanya, who became the undisputed middleweight champion after a dominant performance against Robert Whittaker.

But here's the thing, since then, things just haven't been the same. We've had some great fights, no doubt, but they just haven't had that same energy and excitement. The COVID-19 pandemic messed up the schedules, and some of the fighters just haven't been performing at the same level. Plus, some of the big names have either retired or moved on to other things.

So, while we're always hopeful for more epic fights and incredible performances, 2019 was truly the last year where everything just came together perfectly in the world of MMA.

My guy maybe if you watched the fights you'd see a shitload of great fights.
Gastelum vs Izzy was an all-time great fight, no shame in digging that one.

DC's trilogy with Stipe was pretty good but the last fight was their best fight.
Every year we get fights that are 10x what the first 2 DC vs Stipe fights were.

I understand that not everyone watches every fight like I do, but you can't really complain if you miss amazing fights.

2019 was no better or worse than any other year of any other sport.
You get great games and shit games, amazing fights, and shit fights sir.

Last edited:
This year has seemingly been pretty good so far. The divisions feel stacked and competitive recently and these past few years it's been feeling extremely top heavy. So top heavy I was losing interest in many of the cards but these cards have all had important fights and good matchups.
Blaydes vs Spivak and Andrade vs Blanchfield were weak card but those main events were good matchups.

UFC feels full of talent which was something they've been lacking for a while

2017 was the last "great" year for UFC.

2023... The GOAT became Heavyweight Champion, the 205 Lineal Champion and Return to the top of P4P...

Line em up, Knock em down

Stipe
Brock
DC

I won't say 2019 is my favorite year but UFC 236 is one of my favorite cards. Izzy vs Gastelum and Holloway vs Poirier back to back were amazing and I have really fond memories of that card.

Back