***2024 NBA Thread - Let The Games Begin***

I believe basketball was at its most competitive in the 70s and am a stan for all the old eras.

Of all the modern eras the media actually acknowledges(80s to present) 2000s was the best IMO by a country mile. People pretend the 08 Celtics created the "Big 3" but if you were around back then you'll remember damm near half the league had a big 3. And it was fucking dope.

Your average NBA team was never more competitive than it was at that point. While I put the earlier eras on a pedestal cause you had more loaded teams this was the best the league got in its final 30 team form.
Half the league had 3 HOFer all-nba guys?

I actually managed to get people to argue that Oscar Robertson is the GOAT, agree and give each other high fives, and post random instagram nonsense.

<36>

B2kg.gif

Half the league had 3 HOFer all-nba guys?

Almost half the league had 3 all stars. You had more viable contenders.

It doesn't look like that in hindsight because at the end of the day the usual suspects usually ended up prevailing. But at the time as it was happening it looked way more competitive than those results would indicate.

Examples that come mind of "big 3s" that did not win anything include the Suns, Wizards and Nets. Yes Richard Jefferson was considered part of a big 3. That was a thing that happened I swear.

Almost half the league had 3 all stars. You had more viable contenders.

It doesn't look like that in hindsight because at the end of the day the usual suspects usually ended up prevailing. But at the time as it was happening it looked way more competitive than those results would indicate.

Examples that come mind of "big 3s" that did not win anything include the Suns, Wizards and Nets. Yes Richard Jefferson was considered part of a big 3. That was a thing that happened I swear.
Do you have the numerous examples? I’m racking my brain trying to remember 15+ teams with 3 players of the caliber of the Boston big 3.

I don’t consider RJ as part of a big 3 either. Who’s the other two? Kidd and Kenyon Martin or Kittles?

And the reason the celts were known as the big 3 was because 3 great franchise players all joined together to form a superteam essentially. This is the distinction.

Last edited:
Take a guess what the mid 90s to late 2000s had that made you enjoy it so much?

points-per-game2.png

It's almost back up to 120 ppg now.

<seedat>

I actually managed to get people to argue that Oscar Robertson is the GOAT, agree and give each other high fives, and post random instagram nonsense.

<36>

B2kg.gif

Its because of my compelling arguments. You could learn a thing or two:)

Do you have the numerous examples? I’m racking my brain trying to remember 15+ teams with 3 players of the caliber of the Boston big 3.

I don’t consider RJ as part of a big 3 either. Who’s the other two? Kidd and Kenyon Martin or Kittles?

And the reason the celts were known as the big 3 was because 3 great franchise players all joined together to form a superteam essentially. This is the distinction.

Looking through it another 2 is the Bulls and Jazz. Also the Pistons.. Hornets with CP3, David West, Stojakovic and Tyson Chandler were wild too. Mavs had Dirk, Howard, Terry

Big duos include Melo and AI, Wade and Shaq, Ray Allen and Rashad Lewis and McGrady and Ming.
I'm getting all of this by looking at 2007 btw. If we go into 2002 or 2003 can probably produce a lot more examples.

Looking through it another 2 is the Bulls and Jazz. Also the Pistons.. Hornets with CP3, David West, Stojakovic and Tyson Chandler were wild too. Mavs had Dirk, Howard, Terry

Big duos include Melo and AI, Wade and Shaq, Ray Allen and Rashad Lewis and McGrady and Ming.
I'm getting all of this by looking at 2007 btw. If we go into 2002 or 2003 can probably produce a lot more examples.
Huh? Those are not big 3’s lol. Howard and Terry? Hornets with Peja? lol what

Yes. He averaged 31,10 and 10 as a rookie PG.

Not Currys measly 18,6 and 5.

1 chip and 1 MVP playing in a highly inflated era. Don't worry, there's no reason for me to bother "arguing."

Let's be honest though:

I believe basketball was at its most competitive in the 70s and am a stan for all the old eras.

Of all the modern eras the media actually acknowledges(80s to present) 2000s was the best IMO by a country mile. People pretend the 08 Celtics created the "Big 3" but if you were around back then you'll remember damm near half the league had a big 3. And it was fucking dope.

Your average NBA team was never more competitive than it was at that point. While I put the earlier eras on a pedestal cause you had more loaded teams this was the best the league got in its final 30 team form.

Tell everyone how old you were in 2000. Don't be shy. ;)

Last edited:
Back