21 one year old man gets 10 days in jail for missing jury duty.

The sentencing for this case was very excessive. All he needed was a fine and 20 hours of community service work.

Sounds like DeAndre got his _____ wake up call.

I don't know how it works in the States, but over here I can just say I have an undisclosed condition and get out of it. No documentation required. It's almost as good as just being able to say "fuck off, I ain't doing it"

If you sign up for it though, I suppose all bets are off.

When I got my last summons for Jury Duty, early last year, I went online to postpone it as late in the year as I could.

Go in, give my info, sit down and wait. Time keeps ticking by, pretty soon, we are dismissed for a 2-hour lunch.

Come back, we are immediately dismissed, and our services to the city met.

Something about the courthouse not handling things on their end.

I never trusted the advice of people who threw their Summons in the shredder, then claimed they never received notice.

EDIT: Spelling. "Sherdder" instead of shredder was pretty ironic, though.

Last edited:
That's excessive and no way should he have a criminal record for that.

But I don't mind him spending a few days in jail, getting fined and having to do community service.

He's an adult and there are consequences for your actions. I can understand why the judge was pissed - he has to delay the trial and this stupid asshole saunters in like "sorry, I slept in, and I didn't understand the importance of showing up." Fucking dumbass, ever heard of an alarm?

What a thug.

JK, yeah, it's pretty stupid but it is kind of an issue if jurors just straight up don't show up. I don't know if that's even common enough for there to be a precedent.

"In his sentencing, the judge told Somerville he would be monitoring him closely, saying "this is just a taste of jail."

"I'm dead serious about this. Dead serious," Kastrenakes said, according to court transcripts. "If you don't do the community service hours as I've ordered, you face up to six months in jail, all right? This is just a taste of jail and it's not that long. You'll do this 10 days and then you'll come out and you'll do everything on probation. I'm going to monitor you, make sure your probation is — you adhere to all the rules and conditions of probation."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu.../man-overslept-for-jury-duty-gets-prison-time

That is ridiculous.

The man is completely liable for improperly skipping jury service, but that is quite the speech to give someone with no criminal record prior.

"In his sentencing, the judge told Somerville he would be monitoring him closely, saying "this is just a taste of jail."

"I'm dead serious about this. Dead serious," Kastrenakes said, according to court transcripts. "If you don't do the community service hours as I've ordered, you face up to six months in jail, all right? This is just a taste of jail and it's not that long. You'll do this 10 days and then you'll come out and you'll do everything on probation. I'm going to monitor you, make sure your probation is — you adhere to all the rules and conditions of probation."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu.../man-overslept-for-jury-duty-gets-prison-time

That is ridiculous.

The man is completely liable for improperly skipping jury service, but that is quite the speech to give someone with no criminal record prior.

Judge is a straight asshole.

That is ridiculous.

Judge is a control freak, most of them are though. Think about it, who devotes their life to handing out punishment? Takes a certain kind of person, someone so bought into the system they long to be a cog in its operation.

This wasn't even a criminal trial, it was civil. 10 days in jail is absurd. Give the man a fine or community service but make it a deferred imposition.
"includes reporting to the jury office once a week to give a 10-minute talk on the importance of jury duty." Doesn't that violate his First Amendment rights via the government forcing him to express his personal views?

I don't know how it works in the States, but over here I can just say I have an undisclosed condition and get out of it. No documentation required. It's almost as good as just being able to say "fuck off, I ain't doing it"

If you sign up for it though, I suppose all bets are off.
You can simply ignore the summons and they cannot prove you ever actually received it. If you try and postpone or get out of it, however, they can deny your request and punish you for not showing up.

I'd love to get a summons on a non violent drug case so I could enact jury nullification.

Judge is a control freak, most of them are though. Think about it, who devotes their life to handing out punishment? Takes a certain kind of person, someone so bought into the system they long to be a cog in its operation.

Well, they dont necessarily devote their lives to it. They are lawyers first. And who doesn't want to try for a promotion?

Highly corruptible path, but I get it.

You can simply ignore the summons and they cannot prove you ever actually received it.

LOL, that's funny, 'cause I was actually tempted to do that when I got it. Just leave it in the mail box/throw it away and pretend I never received it. When I read up on it though, I was like "Wait, I can just say I have some medical condition with no doctor's note?", and did just that. No fuss, no muss.

I heard once that if you throw that shit in the fucking trash, they can go fuck themselves.

<seedat>

This is why I never personally ever got a jury summons.

<seedat>

That is ridiculous.

Sounds like hes just a power tripping asshole.

So does "sworn in as a juror" mean he got the letter, showed up, went through selection, got picked, had the lecture on juror protocol, then ignored it and got in trouble or no? I've never been selected for jury duty so I'm not really sure.

So does "sworn in as a juror" mean he got the letter, showed up, went through selection, got picked, had the lecture on juror protocol, then ignored it and got in trouble or no? I've never been selected for jury duty so I'm not really sure.

Yes, that is what happened.

Back